User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I think the irony is that Europeans tend to see themselves as the puppeteer, not the puppet, at least when it comes to dealings with non-Europeans.

Europeans aren't having many children. Will there even be a Europe in 20-30 years?
    It is all right. Things are going in the right direction.

We do not need to breed any more.
    The children come in hundreds, every day.
    Mostly from Africa.

I say, jolly good.
    What is there to worry about? Nothing.
    Only the racists worry. Who cares.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Next big import to developed nations: children.

Sounds good to me.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post

Sounds good to me.
    Hahahaha. xD
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

Default To actully add some content instead of just trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am totally with you on this one.

But I think that he/she ment on dialects and used a wrong word.
    Might and might not be different dialects. Yes people do understand eachother, no it's not the same language; why? Different ways of governing and also, different people uphold different qualities in language and thus create new ones as they go.

Read further down.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    230 languages? The names and the number of speakers of each one, please.

The immigrant population may well speak their language at home.
    When they leave home, they use the language of the country. Their lingua franca.

The women not so much. Even they are changing, though.
    The new generation of immigrants is already adopting the lingua franca as their home language. Things are changing fast. The African and the Indian dialects will not root in Europe. We leave them out.

How many is left?

An educated Frenchman understands an educated Italian and vice versa.
    They can speak and use their own languages. This interaction is changing the languages.
    English is added to the minestra. A new, international lingua franca is already taking shape.
    What the situation is now? In Scandinavia they have only one language.2

Is there a Belgian language? A Swiss language? A mutually comprehensibe Italian language?
    A mutually comprehensibe German? A Monaco language? An Andorra language? A Lichtenstein language? A Luxembourg language?
    No.

How many languages we have?

2. Have you read a map lately? Would four(4) countries use the same language? I know that Finland currently has swedish as their national language (or have they just recently changed to finnish? I am not sure.) but Norway, Denmark ? Oh, and the swedish people in "Skåne" has even gone as far as to register their dialect as a language. I am not sure of what qualifications that needs to be met to qualify as a language but they have.
    That even makes it five(5) languages in four countries. Please read up.
    I know, my nationality is swedish and no, I do not know as much about the US as I know about Sweden/scandinavia but I have no interest in arguing about US or any interest in pursuing knowledge about the US.

Hell, I didn't even want the knowledge about scandinavia but, sigh, school made sure I recieved it.

Let's see... Wikipedia states 23 OFFICIAL languages, not counting the ones unconfirmed yet;
    Languages of the European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess it could've been a typo.

"Skåne" on the other hand is not a country and thus not an official language in the EU.

HAH, off I go and learn new terms. Thanks wildcat.
    Last edited by Serendipity; 06-01-2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: I failed to read Athenians post. Heh.
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post

Sounds good to me.
    i dunno, but doesn the opposite hold true as well? Don't white babies fetch a large price on the baby black market? I dunno where I get my info sometimes.

I prefer Asimov's version about the european region: slow, but painless death. These national differences are impossible to overcome before the U.S. or the Far-East take the lead in human development. Europe's reign is over since WWI, and the EU won't change that.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    i dunno, but doesn the opposite hold true as well? Don't white babies fetch a large price on the baby black market? I dunno where I get my info sometimes.
    I don't know.

I think the developed nations may have to do something to prove they're not pulling A Modest Proposal if this becomes the more popular choice, though.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Will it ever become fully united?

I hope not ever. It's not something that I feel positive about and I don't want to lose all my cultural identity to blend into one large mass of people. Weirdly, I just don't think it should and I can't help but wonder why one would want that.
    However, the answer to your question is yes, it probably will. Smaller and less developed countries will gradually be pulled in and of course, for them it may be advantageous to some point, with all the funds they receive and so on, but I hope Switzerland and Norway will have the sense to keep out from it for as long as possible. That is, until america / china gain enough control over resourcees or enough military power to make EU force the merge of every country.

Does it have the strenght to replace US if things there go very bad?

In what ways? Maybe, maybe not. I certainly hope that not in mentality.

Will it become first democratic and atheistic entity in history?

Who knows what will happen? Again, why would one want this? I am certainly not one for a big united happy world.
    Democratic-no. "Democratic"-yes. We all know what happens when concepts like democracy are put into practice, the very essence of them will be lost.(think about marxist-leninist doctrines). There will always be interests getting in the way of democracy, and probably not mine.
    And eventually they will all become atheistic, yes, because to uniformize people you need a common ground. Different religions won't work. ANd that fits my perception of a Europe of robots.
    But of course, since religion is a great tool of mass manipulation, there might as well remain a single one.

What is the role of this continent in the modern world?
    Europe is very important, because besides the economical role it has(with the second biggest petrol reserve in the world etc etc) and the cultural(it is the cradle of worldwide tourism) one,
    it is the main source of brains nowadays.Seriously.....it has enough inteligent people to fuel one hell of a phenomena, which is reffered to as the "migration of brains".
    Where do the brains go? Well, where they are lack...oops, i meant...where the context is perfect for them to thrive, the land of all posibilities, America.

What do you think it will happen to his continent in the future?

Who knows?

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by am_i_evil666 View Post
    Will it ever become fully united?
    I hope not ever. It's not something that I feel positive about and I don't want to lose all my cultural identity to blend into one large mass of people. Weirdly, I just don't think it should and I can't help but wonder why one would want that.
    I am puzzled as to why some people rate their petty nationalistic feelings higher than a strong and completely united Europe. Could you explain why?

Few people "get to me" more than the people who would love to destroy the European Union because they see it as a threat to their national identity or some bleeding heart liberal who thinks it's like another empire. I was pissed off for days when the Irish did not accept the Lisbon Treaty. A couple of organizations had decieved the Irish people into believing that the treaty would give the EU the power to harmonize corporate tax rates without Ireland having a say about it, and some other crazy stuff. A lot of the pole posters put up by these organizations were so ridiculous that I had not expected the Irish to fall for it, but I guess that's what you get with an incompetent government that does a shitty job at explaining something to its populace.

Another factor in Lisbon's failure was Lisbon itself. An impenetrable legal document, it could not be understood without close study,[44] and even the Referendum Commission - the nonpartisan body set up to explain it - could not explain it all.[45] The treaty's lack of clarity meant that interpretations could not be confidently stated to be true or false. Consequently, issues such as abortion,[46] tax,[47] euthanasia,[48] the veto,[49] EU directives,[50] qualified majority voting,[51] Ireland's commissioner,[52] detention of three-year-olds,[53] the death penalty,[54] Euroarmy conscription,[55] gay marriage,[56] immigration,[57] nuclear energy,[58] workers' rights,[58] sovereignty,[59] and neutrality[60] were raised, some of which were spurious[61] or actually dealt with by the Treaty of Nice.[62] The "No" faction could fight on whichever terrain they wished[63] and could give positive reasons for rejecting the treaty, such as the possibility of renegotiation.[64] Conversely, the "Yes" faction could only offer negatives[65] and could only react to the statements of the other side.[66] Lacking a clear identification of specifics, voters chose to vote "No".[67]
    I even saw a poll that showed that 40% of the NO-voters voted no because they had no idea what they were voting for. Knowing this, how could anyone argue against another referendum?

This is why I despise direct democracy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    I even saw a poll that showed that 40% of the NO-voters voted no because they had no idea what they were voting for. Knowing this, how could anyone argue against another referendum?

This is why I despise direct democracy.
    Not knowing what the hell you are voting for (because the document is too large and ambiguous) is reason enough to reject it. Given the nature of the expansive EU bureaucracy and its absurdly activist court system up to this point, there's no way in hell I would vote to give up more power to the EU, if I were a European.

Oh, and how dare Ireland (unlike virtually every other EU member) actually leave the decision up to its own citizens, rather than a bunch of oligarchic political parties. Truly, they are a politically primitive people...:rolli: