User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Ok, but what you are actually trying to say with this Peguy ?

Since this as an idea is nothing new. (at least to me)

Sniffles

I just find it ironic.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I would think Europe is more inclined to unite without America as a superpower. It seems to me there would be more inclination to unite when their complacency is disrupted.

I use the word "complacent" because I would say a majority of the European independent nations have maxed production with current barriers such as language, technology, and individual history.

1. Language: There are approximately 230 languages spoken throughout Europe. Many Europeans can communicate in several languages. English, French, German, Polish, and Czech are among some of the most common, but the some of the West have trouble communicating with the East. But in time technology will help defeat this problem.

2. Technology/Production: Because of barriers of culture and language it has been hard for European countries to advance their production to the rest of the world and use Free Trade. This is one reason why the efficiency is low. In time this should also work itself out. With the help of the European Union I know this is dissipating. My ex girlfriend from Slovakia works in Croatia and Germany in the summers, the pay is better and the travel is cheap.

3. Culture/History: This is in my mind the greatest barrier keeping these countries from uniting. European History has been filled with fighting between the nations, uniting, then being broken post wars. This has caused many nations to have tensions between one another.

If America fails, which I can forsee happening in 20-30 years, than there would be more inclination for the European countries to break this barrier and unite for their own survival, culture won't matter much then if there would be no future.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ADISCIPLE View Post
    I would think Europe is more inclined to unite without America as a superpower. It seems to me there would be more inclination to unite when their complacency is disrupted.

I use the word "complacent" because I would say a majority of the European independent nations have maxed production with current barriers such as language, technology, and individual history.

1. Language: There are approximately 230 languages spoken throughout Europe. Many Europeans can communicate in several languages. English, French, German, Polish, and Czech are among some of the most common, but the some of the West have trouble communicating with the East. But in time technology will help defeat this problem.

2. Technology/Production: Because of barriers of culture and language it has been hard for European countries to advance their production to the rest of the world and use Free Trade. This is one reason why the efficiency is low. In time this should also work itself out. With the help of the European Union I know this is dissipating. My ex girlfriend from Slovakia works in Croatia and Germany in the summers, the pay is better and the travel is cheap.

3. Culture/History: This is in my mind the greatest barrier keeping these countries from uniting. European History has been filled with fighting between the nations, uniting, then being broken post wars. This has caused many nations to have tensions between one another.

If America fails, which I can forsee happening in 20-30 years, than there would be more inclination for the European countries to break this barrier and unite for their own survival, culture won't matter much then if there would be no future.
    230 languages? The names and the number of speakers of each one, please.

The immigrant population may well speak their language at home.
    When they leave home, they use the language of the country. Their lingua franca.

The women not so much. Even they are changing, though.
    The new generation of immigrants is already adopting the lingua franca as their home language. Things are changing fast. The African and the Indian dialects will not root in Europe. We leave them out.

How many is left?

An educated Frenchman understands an educated Italian and vice versa.
    They can speak and use their own languages. This interaction is changing the languages.
    English is added to the minestra. A new, international lingua franca is already taking shape.
    What the situation is now? In Scandinavia they have only one language.

Is there a Belgian language? A Swiss language? A mutually comprehensibe Italian language?
    A mutually comprehensibe German? A Monaco language? An Andorra language? A Lichtenstein language? A Luxembourg language?
    No.

How many languages we have?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Does it have the strenght to replace US if things there go very bad?
    I hope so. I would hate for some oppressive state to completely control everyone and everything in the world when the U.S. crumbles. Even if I had to live under harsh fascist rule for the rest of my life, I'd feel a little better about it knowing there were a few holdouts somewhere who still believed in some of our ideals.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    230 languages? The names and the number of speakers of each one, please.

The immigrant population may well speak their language at home.
    When they leave home, they use the language of the country. Their lingua franca.

The women not so much. Even they are changing, though.
    The new generation of immigrants is already adopting the lingua franca as their home language. Things are changing fast. The African and the Indian dialects will not root in Europe. We leave them out.

How many is left?

An educated Frenchman understands an educated Italian and vice versa.
    They can speak and use their own languages. This interaction is changing the languages.
    English is added to the minestra. A new, international lingua franca is already taking shape.
    What the situation is now? In Scandinavia they have only one language.

Is there a Belgian language? A Swiss language? A mutually comprehensibe Italian language?
    A mutually comprehensibe German? A Monaco language? An Andorra language? A Lichtenstein language? A Luxembourg language?
    No.

How many languages we have?
    I am totally with you on this one.

But I think that he/she ment on dialects and used a wrong word.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I just find it ironic.

wait - Why would it be "ironic" to try to encourage, even "push" aggressively, Europe + the entire UK into one Union of a federal body, bearing in mind this is directly after world war 2? Ummmm, that's not ironic or mysterious, that's just appropriate and applied common fucking sense.

Of course we wanted a unionized Europe in the 50s and 60s, who the hell wouldnt after ww2? Peguy's link neither proves nor provides anything

that is to say: the extent of our (Us's) ability to actually INFLUENCE the nations of europe into one cohesive "EU" is next to nothing

MBTI
    ENFJ

I can imagine the EU becoming quite powerful but even if it did I can't really imagine it becoming the same sort of 'police force' that the US tries to be. Also the EU uniting as a federalist nation doesn't really make much sense... federalism is really hard to maintain and it would take a helluva disaster to make them band together like that (nuclear winter, perhaps?). Really federalism in the US started because desperate times called for desperate measures and even then a lot of people didn't want it.

Would anybody else in the world really want to take up that policing mantle when the US falls as a superpower? How necessary is that niche?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am totally with you on this one.

But I think that he/she ment on dialects and used a wrong word.
    I thought so, too.

As long as dialects are mutually intelligible by their speakers, we move within a confine of a single language.
    This means languages overlap each other. In other words, the language excuse is invalid.

They say that Europe cannot unit because we have these different languages.
    What different languages? A language is an abstraction.

Many French dialects are much closer to many Italian or Spanish dialects than to many other French dialects. And vice versa.
    Some Spanish dialects are much closer to some Portuguese dialects than to some other Spanish dialects.

The situation is even more evident in part of the Germanic world, especially in Scandinavia.

Not every Swede understands every other Swede. It does not prevent the people from living in the same country.
    Why should Europe differ from Sweden? Or Italy? Or Germany? Or France?

We all speak differently. Is your individual differentiation different from dialectical differentiation? Where does a dialect change? At your front door.

The Swiss speak four languages. Is it a problem?
    Language does not matter. Does culture?
    What culture?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    wait - Why would it be "ironic" to try to encourage, even "push" aggressively, Europe + the entire UK into one Union of a federal body, bearing in mind this is directly after world war 2? Ummmm, that's not ironic or mysterious, that's just appropriate and applied common fucking sense.

Of course we wanted a unionized Europe in the 50s and 60s, who the hell wouldnt after ww2? Peguy's link neither proves nor provides anything

that is to say: the extent of our (Us's) ability to actually INFLUENCE the nations of europe into one cohesive "EU" is next to nothing
    I think the irony is that Europeans tend to see themselves as the puppeteer, not the puppet, at least when it comes to dealings with non-Europeans.

Europeans aren't having many children. Will there even be a Europe in 20-30 years?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."