User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    OMNi

How on earth does this article prove that the "the US having one of the freest economies in the world for the vast majority of its history is the leading factor in its wealth"? How does it disprove my argument that the US has attained much of its ability to generate wealth by opportunistically obtaining land and resources via genocide, enslavement, exploitation, and war?

This article is great for proving that GDP correlates with health, life expectancy, and standard of living but it doesn't prove what you claim it does. You have selectively interpreted some of the statistics to support your point of view, but it is just as easy for me to argue that GDP has risen as a result of America's opportunism as it is for you to argue that it has risen as a result of America's "free economy".
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Who the hell would avoid going to the emergency room because they don't have insurance? That is insane.
    Well, I'm sure it happens. I'm also pretty sure that not everyone knows that the emergency room is law-bound to treat them, and that people fear that what little they have will be taken from them when the bills come in - that if nothing else they'll be driven into bankruptcy. Many people tend to downplay acute health issues ("Ow, this hurts, but I should just get some rest and I will be okay") - adding into that the fear of embarrassment or financial ruin and people do decide not to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    If they don't go to the emergency room because of embarrassment, whose fault is that? YOU DESERVE TO DIE if you don't go to the emergency room because you don't have insurance or are too embarrassed, because you obviously can't make the simple calculation that going means you'll stay alive and not going means you'll die.
    I'd say that such "calculations" are FAR from simple in many cases - especially to someone not trained in medicine (as most of us aren't). Heartburn or heart attack? is just one example where people may be confused. It's not like internal injuries are all that easy to self-diagnose, and "something hurts" is pretty easy to rationalize away. And that's just for acute problems that are easy to notice. What about chronic escalating problems? Do you just let it get so bad that people can't function, and *then* have them come to the emergency room? (that was rhetorical)

Anyway, I've said my bit - time for me to get some sleep - g'night .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lasting_Pain

No matter how much I try to like the Republicans they always seem to disappoint me. I could list a number of reasons but basically I shall say this. They are a shallow party.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Well, I'm sure it happens. I'm also pretty sure that not everyone knows that the emergency room is law-bound to treat them, and that people fear that what little they have will be taken from them when the bills come in - that if nothing else they'll be driven into bankruptcy. Many people tend to downplay acute health issues ("Ow, this hurts, but I should just get some rest and I will be okay") - adding into that the fear of embarrassment or financial ruin and people do decide not to go.

Believe me, poor people know that the emergency room has to treat them. People are not stupid when it comes to things to benefit them directly. And bankruptcy is a fairly easy process, but a lot of people just dodge the bills indefinitely. It happens.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    How on earth does this article prove that the "the US having one of the freest economies in the world for the vast majority of its history is the leading factor in its wealth"? How does it disprove my argument that the US has attained much of its ability to generate wealth by opportunistically obtaining land and resources via genocide, enslavement, exploitation, and war?

This article is great for proving that GDP correlates with health, life expectancy, and standard of living but it doesn't prove what you claim it does. You have selectively interpreted some of the statistics to support your point of view, but it is just as easy for me to argue that GDP has risen as a result of America's opportunism as it is for you to argue that it has risen as a result of America's "free economy".

This is pointless. You are willfully intransigent. I am not going to go through this AGAIN.

MBTI
    ISTP

I worked at a hospital for quite some time. People get charged outrageous amounts for emergency care, but there is always a way to get out of paying. Usually, the state has an agency for helping out indigent people have had emergency care.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^ Exactly my point. People are whining for universal health care, but they already have it.

What they REALLY want is someone else to pay for their laziness because they don't wanna pay for health insurance. You can't be denied care if you need it, and you can get assistance if you can't afford it. But most people can afford it, but choose not to get it, and then cry when something's wrong because they don't want to pay.
    It's universal because they get charged but don't have to pay, probably? Including preventive medicine, or routine medicine?

Right...

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    It's universal because they get charged but don't have to pay, probably? Including preventive medicine, or routine medicine?

Right...

I never claimed it was universal. Just that people can always go to the emergency room.

Lasting_Pain

I never claimed it was universal. Just that people can always go to the emergency room.
    What does the emergency room help to solve besides an emergency?

MBTI
    OMNi

This is pointless. You are willfully intransigent. I am not going to go through this AGAIN.
    Whatever you need to say to feel better about yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Whatever you need to say to feel better about yourself.
    I don't need to say anything. I feel great. The point is, you will not change your mind, no matter what I say.