User Tag List

First 253334353637 Last

Sniffles

You people are confusing the ideology of Communism with the practice of communalism. They're not the same. Almost every form of communalism were religious in origins untill the rise of 19th century radicalism.

For the record: the term "Communism" itself was coined in the 1840s in France.

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    A good post. But sad.

Politicians are not streetwise.
    If they were, we'd have a lot less street problems.
    The law givers grew up under the elms, in the suburbs.
    Little they know.

I admit it is not different in Europe.
    Our two cultures contrast even more.

It is ironic you have old money in America.
    Here it was washed away in the beginning of the 19th Century.

Another irony: We Europeans blame America for the economic collapse.
    Nobody reads history any more.

The third irony: The investor wants a return for his money ahead of the natural growth.
    The value of the stock is for the moment only.

The interest of the company does not match the interest of the owner of the company any more.

A fatal side track.
    Interest does not divide.

Wolves need sheep.
    Sheep do not need wolves.

Sheep vote.
    Wolves get elected.
    Actually Sheep do need wolves. If they did not have wolves,the system that is known as life would be disrupted.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    Actually Sheep do need wolves. If they did not have wolves,the system that is known as life would be disrupted.
    This is what Wolfie said.
    He was not a scientist.
    He was a politician.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by cogdecree View Post
    I'm not challenging what we already established, that being communisms current definition.

Hear this though,

Claim: communism and marxism were at one time the same.

Explained:

Communism wasn't a word/term that was around, it wasn't "invented" back then. It was an idea in western europe, it wasn't solid till marx gave it life. At this period of time communism is marxism in all but name (marx didn't name the idea after himself), after the fall of marx, other regimes started abusing communism, so much so that this is what gave rise to the division (stalinist, maoist, marxist, etc).

And at this point marxism was developed, and communism was redefined.

Basically communism came into being through marx defined by the communist manifesto, after marx's death, only then did the term marxism come into being.
    Sure, if one were wrting a historical fiction, one would not have the characters use the word "communism" to describe the system they lived under, but that's not the same as using a word to catergorize something when studying the past now. Cavemen didn't know the exact word "tribe" either. Doesn't mean they didn't live in tribes.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Sure, if one were wrting a historical fiction, one would not have the characters use the word "communism" to describe the system they lived under, but that's not the same as using a word to catergorize something when studying the past now. Cavemen didn't know the exact word "tribe" either. Doesn't mean they didn't live in tribes.
    But when marx got ahold of hte idea the word, communism at the time had the same definition as marxism of today had, it wasn't till after its abuse that different sects of communism come into being.

During the time of marx if one was to define communism, you would hear the description of marxism. The two were not separated as of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    You people are confusing the ideology of Communism with the practice of communalism. They're not the same. Almost every form of communalism were religious in origins untill the rise of 19th century radicalism.

For the record: the term "Communism" itself was coined in the 1840s in France.
    communalism
    One entry found.

Sponsored Links
    Communalism at Amazon
    Millions of titles, new & used. Qualified orders over $25 ship free
    Amazon.com/NonfictionBooks

Main Entry:
    com•mu•nal•ism
    Pronunciation:
    \-n?-?li-z?m\
    Function:
    noun
    Date:
    1 : social organization on a communal basis 2 : loyalty to a sociopolitical grouping based on religious or ethnic affiliation
    — com•mu•nal•ist \-n?-list\ noun or adjective

It seems peguy got cleared that up.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

In the town that I live in, the Republicans are better organized and more effective than the Democrats.
    If you want to be part of town government, you are better off being a Republican than belonging to the dysfunctional Democrats, who didn't even bother to run candidates for the town board race two years ago (let's see if they can stop being comatose this year).

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    All right.

I've thought this for years, and now I'll say it.

Why would anyone want to be a republican?
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

Ooops. We're talking about communists instead of republicans.
    I don't know why anyone would want to be a communist.
    Communism is quite passe.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Ooops. We're talking about communists instead of republicans.
    I don't know why anyone would want to be a communist.
    Communism is quite passe.

"I never thought you'd be a pinko because communism's so passe!"
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    In the town that I live in, the Republicans are better organized and more effective than the Democrats.
    If you want to be part of town government, you are better off being a Republican than belonging to the dysfunctional Democrats, who didn't even bother to run candidates for the town board race two years ago (let's see if they can stop being comatose this year).
    I'm sure there are trillions of towns with good democrats and just as well towns with good republicans. On that level it's more a matter of local personalities at play than political stands.

Besides that, I think major campaigns between only 2 major parties inevitably creates a divided population.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I would tend to agree with both comments. It does depend on local personalities. In my town, there is a Republican town board member who is very organized, does her research, and gets things done. I have interviewed her numerous times for articles. If you want information, she is the one to go to.

Yes, major campaigns, especially at the national level, between two political parties do lead to much polarization between supporters of the winning party and the losing party. It also leads to a great deal of frustration and feelings of not being represented for people who do not agree with the positions of either political party.

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I'm sure there are trillions of towns with good democrats and just as well towns with good republicans. On that level it's more a matter of local personalities at play than political stands.

Besides that, I think major campaigns between only 2 major parties inevitably creates a divided population.