User Tag List

First 13212223242533 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It IS possible to give money to schools and children through other channels besides the government, you know. Conservatives, in general, donate more of their income than do liberals.
    If I remember correctly, there was a structural error in the statistics results. The claim is unsure at best, probably plain wrong.
    Never, never believe statistics.

Go out and take a hike. Get some fresh air. Spring is on the way.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post

INFJ spotted

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

It is good a mother of six small children does not need to work. This is how she can attend to her children's needs and they can grow up in a loving atmosphere.
    They do not need to live in the street. They go to school and end up as responsible adults.
    I say splended. This is the road we must go. Brooklyn is a good neighbourhood.

Brooklyn used to be different. My auntie Jenny lived there all her adult life. She had fourteen or sixteen rooms. She lived all by herself in the house she owned. She never married, never worked.
    She played poker and lived to be ninety. She had never lost a game.

My mother inherited her. How stupid can one get? Do never give money to the rich.

She could have given the money to pay a bright slum kid's college education.
    But that would have made her a bleeding heart in the mind of the Republican opinion.
    My mother would have called her by that name, I am sure. The rich have no shame.
    Incredible, there are so many holes; perhaps I can lead you on to help fill them.

1) What limits how many parents decide to have kids who canít afford them?

Where does family/personal responsibility kick in?

2) There are so many factors than just parental inattention that causes people to abandon the prospect of education, curing parental inattention (also we will just assume for now that this does cure parental inattention) doesn't guarantee their success, gangs openly recruiting at schools, established social norms, the lure of deviant culture, or depending on which criminological theory you believe in (my educational specialty), my basic point there are other factors that derail kids from their education, with equally power effects. Do you believe that one factor will be significant enough to make a real difference?

3) We have already covered this, democrats make more money, yet republicans contribute more of their earnings than democrats, and as explained earlier, this mainly due to religious reasons. (donating to churches, and churches helping the poor, this is done by free will).

4) Just for clarification, itís your belief that those who are rich don't deserve their money (or at least a good portion of it), even if they or their parents worked hard to insure an easier life for their children or themselves.

I find this odd in that, you attach above and beyond personal responsibility here for this individual, but not for the person who decided on having kids when she couldn't support such herself. Also 6 kids (not 1 or 3, but 6) isnít an accident, thatís a decision.

You'll find that such individuals in similar settings wouldn't of chosen that many children naturally, its done because of the reward system.

And as explained ealier and in more detail by Babylon Candle, a reward system that caters to a artificial benifit, is an inefficient reward system.
    What would your critique be to this point?

Not saying that there isn't responses to these, just that it would give me a better picture on how you think such a system would work out.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cogdecree View Post
    Incredible, there are so many holes; perhaps I can lead you on to help fill them.

1) What limits how many parents decide to have kids who canít afford them?

Where does family/personal responsibility kick in?

2) There are so many factors than just parental inattention that causes people to abandon the prospect of education, curing parental inattention (also we will just assume for now that this does cure parental inattention) doesn't guarantee their success, gangs openly recruiting at schools, established social norms, the lure of deviant culture, or depending on which criminological theory you believe in (my educational specialty), my basic point there are other factors that derail kids from their education, with equally power effects. Do you believe that one factor will be significant enough to make a real difference?

3) We have already covered this, democrats make more money, yet republicans contribute more of their earnings than democrats, and as explained earlier, this mainly due to religious reasons. (donating to churches, and churches helping the poor, this is done by free will).

4) Just for clarification, itís your belief that those who are rich don't deserve their money (or at least a good portion of it), even if they or their parents worked hard to insure an easier life for their children or themselves.

I find this odd in that, you attach above and beyond personal responsibility here for this individual, but not for the person who decided on having kids when she couldn't support such herself. Also 6 kids (not 1 or 3, but 6) isnít an accident, thatís a decision.

You'll find that such individuals in similar settings wouldn't of chosen that many children naturally, its done because of the reward system.

And as explained ealier and in more detail by Babylon Candle, a reward system that caters to a artificial benifit, is an inefficient reward system.
    What would your critique be to this point?

Not saying that there isn't responses to these, just that it would give me a better picture on how you think such a system would work out.
    There is much truth in what you say.
    I do not deny it.
    Also Oberon made valid points. He is a sharp kid, too.

I was not provocative or naive.
    The holes are there for a purpose.

The holes breath.
    Otherwise we are suffocated by our knowledge.

An objective interest does not exist.
    Interest is subjective.

Common good is devoid of interest.

And here winter is on its way. The sun loses its sting. The air is fresh and cool and the sky is blue. We dance our way into winter on a carpet of leaves.

And as we fall into the gorgeous blue of winter, you trip carelessly into Spring.

But why should I be surprised - as your day is our night, your Summer is our Winter, your Sun is in the South while ours is in the North. Even your Moon follows a southerly course while ours veers to the north.

And we are always your future, on day at a time, while you are always a day behind. We are your point-man looking into the Rising Sun, while you disappear round the dark side of the Earth.

We follow the Southern Cross while you follow the North Star. And we look into the Milky Way while your eyes are drawn into Deep Space.

Our animals are marsupials while yours are mammals. And even our trees loose their bark in summer while yours loose their leaves in winter.
    So we worry, as you are dazzled by the green of Spring, that you might forget us as we disappear into Autumn leaves.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

This thread doesn't have enough Republicans in it, so I'm adding a few.

^ Sometimes they get so patriotic that they try to dance.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

It is good a mother of six small children does not need to work. This is how she can attend to her children's needs and they can grow up in a loving atmosphere.
    They do not need to live in the street. They go to school and end up as responsible adults.
    I say splended. This is the road we must go. Brooklyn is a good neighbourhood
    I think you're missing the obvious point. She has children solely so others can take care of them and she collects the money. She obviously does not care about the well being of those kids, which is apparent to me since I see them regularly. I work very hard to support myself, and in essence, her and her children. What you are suggesting we do is what we already do - throw money at the problem. That woman's mother is on welfare and she grew up on welfare. I'll keep you posted about the children.

And if you really believe that those kids stand a chance, you are sorely mistaken. I think that implying that those who want to fix the root problem and break this cycle don't care about children or people is ridiculous. I think suggesting that we just let another generation fall through the cracks is mean spirited. I think pretending that these kids will ever learn from a non-existent role model is naive. Ignoring the problem won't make it go away and is only doing a great disservice to these kids with no other options. Just saying...

ptgatsby: It doesn't matter if you think it's not possible - the fact is that it is very possible. I don't know how it's done, or else I would probably do it myself!! (just kidding of course...)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Why would anyone want to be a Republican?
    Because they agree with its platform, know Republicans, have attended meetings and served in campaigns, and know the party beyond the caricature prevailing in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Because they agree with its platform, know Republicans, have attended meetings and served in campaigns, and know the party beyond the caricature prevailing in this thread.
    Undoubtedly.

But why?

(Admittedly, my Te's being contentious...)

MBTI
    ESFJ

If I remember correctly, there was a structural error in the statistics results. The claim is unsure at best, probably plain wrong.
    Never, never believe statistics.

You have absolutely no basis for this claim. Provide at least one example, or do not make such a dismissive statement.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"