First 10181920212230 Last

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

You can use flat plate or focusing collectors to store the energy, with a passive collector as a backup. Since I live in a rented apartment, I don't heat the water tanks, but if I did, I would use a packed bed or a heat-of-fusion unit. It took me a while to figure out this system, since I rent. If I owned a home, I would probably do things a little differently and utilize stones and thermal-siphoning more.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    You can use flat plate or focusing collectors to store the energy, with a passive collector as a backup. Since I live in a rented apartment, I don't heat the water tanks, but if I did, I would use a packed bed or a heat-of-fusion unit. It took me a while to figure out this system, since I rent. If I owned a home, I would probably do things a little differently and utilize stones and thermal-siphoning more.
    All your gadgets came with the apartment. The things i could potentially use cost over 20,000$. The thermal-siphoning has to have yet another gadget to transfer the heat into stored energy. Unless you know away to bypass? I have pondered using a huge magnifying glass/whole bunch of small magnifying classes to heat smaller (about 1") lava stones. Lava-because it has hollowes and can withstand alot of heat. But i can't figure out a way to store the heat energy.

I'm crappin up the "Republican? Why?" thread so.........
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So maybe I missed it, but are there any actual Republicans here?
    I'm a Republican, I just wasn't in the mood to feed the troll (hence my earlier post).

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    All your gadgets came with the apartment. The things i could potentially use cost over 20,000$. The thermal-siphoning has to have yet another gadget to transfer the heat into stored energy. Unless you know away to bypass? I have pondered using a huge magnifying glass/whole bunch of small magnifying classes to heat smaller (about 1") lava stones. Lava-because it has hollowes and can withstand alot of heat. But i can't figure out a way to store the heat energy.

I'm crappin up the "Republican? Why?" thread so.........
    No gadgets came with my apartment, hence the $500 I spent. But you're right, we're way off topic... you can pm me if you have questions.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    Their actions have spoken quite well for them.

1) Tough on crime

But not exactly smart about it considering the cost to jail over one percent of the population, largely for smoking joints. Just how tough is it to execute innocent people?

2) Self reliance

Good thing so much industry has been exported and big business has made it very difficult for family businesses. It must be easy to be self reliant if born with a silver spoon in your mouth as opposed to working at walmart because that is the only option.

3) Family values

Newt Gingrich, Mark Foley, Ted Haggard, Larry Craig, Bob Allen, Glenn Murphy Jr., Trent Lott, John McCain, Sarah Palin, etc might contradict that a bit. Oh wait, isnt that much of the gop leadership over the last 15 years?

4) Strong capitalism

Obviously bailing out investment institutions during reagan and bush IIs terms makes a solid case for that.

5) Strong defenses

Thats right, under republican control of the govt, 4 hijacked planes hit 3 buildings on the same day while the airforce was training for exactly that kind of possibility....in canada.

1) Jails are overcrowded due to the war on drugs, which can be amended. Jails can be reformed (maybe not in the way you’ll like though), consequently though, violent crime has gone down since the war on drugs.

2) Government causes more problems, with all the taxes and requirements needed; my family knows this from personal experience.

Big business like wal-mart, may hurt business that are in similar fields, but it helps other businesses in other fields. You'll see karate dojo's open up next to such, you'll see flower shops, nail stores, etc, that wouldn't get attention otherwise.

In addition, businesses like wal-mart give the best combination of quality and prices to the customers.

3) you just listed names, perhaps you should explain how Palin herself is destroying family values. Or why individual actions of a few derail the entire parties goals?

4) Besides the Bush bailout which I was against, name another big one? (reagons version still wasn't as big, and it was also part of the plan in overcomming the soviets) The democrats have beaten those numbers easily with the multiple stimulus plans.

5) And another attack didn't occur after that, 9/11 was defiantly a shock and something we wouldn’t have expected.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Funny how you don't hear much "OMG CONSERVATIVES HATE AMERICA" from the left in the media.
    That's because the left is too busy saying that Republicans are racist who want your grandmother to die a slow and painful death. As far the rest, I suspect that long-term ideological minorities (so long as they are not socially isolated), whatever their beliefs and where-ever they are situated, understand oppossing sides better than long-term majorities. In other words, a Republican in Rhode Island and a Democrat in Utah are more likely to understand the opposing side than a Republican or Democrat in Ohio. I think this because I was always a political minority in college as a Political Science major, and because I'm an agnostic who is the product of a religious upbringing, so obviously that statement is very much a projection on my part.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by dga View Post
    its a nice feel-good list, but very short term in potential success, and assumes a perfect world.

Self reliance is an admirable trait, but people often do desperate thigns in desperate times. I'd like to be angry at a child who became orphaned after its paretns were locked up for pot and because there was no safety net from teh govt, resorts to obtaining one of the many hand guns in circulation and robs a republican rep. I'd really like to be angry, but one business just blackmailed the entire country over economic doom after doing its best to to help others squeeze a nickel out of a penny to eliminate the jobs the child's relatives might have been able to support it with. The blackmail payout was obviously great enough that if just a fraction of it had been used on children at risk, nobody would notice, and the rep would not have been held up.

I agree that republican supporters are often very vocal about their requests from their representatives, and usually about the most inane things, like this family value/ morality charade. The average republican supporter is not benefiting at all from the republican party.
    Pot is decriminalizing, in CA, AK, you get more in trouble with running a red light. You don't seem to understand that things can be reformed/modified vs dumping ideas altogether.

If the parents are doing harder drugs, chances are they aren't going to be good parents, (especially if they are poorer, and are investing money and time into drugs).

There are already plenty of restrictions on businesses already, I am not advocating for an anarchic business platform, businesses should be free and held just as responsible as any individual. Punished for illegal activities, yet free to enjoy their success.

You can create a fictional sob story, doesn't make it relevant though. Not saying that it doesn't or can't happen, but if you brought up efficiency (benifiting the whole) you are going to need more than that to actually make a solid point.

And history has shown that free and empowred markets can very well survive on its own.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Are you sure it's not because the political left, however misguided, actually believes minorities are still being oppressed in numerous ways?
    Well, sure. Which is why the left really isn't interested in ending oppression of minorities.

You see, it's like the NRA isn't really interested in winning the fight against gun control. Rather, it's interested in perpetuating the fight against gun control. Likewise the left perpetuates the fight against racial oppression.

Did you ever hear the story about the dumbest kid in the world?

A guy walks into a barber shop and strikes up a conversation with the barber. While they're talking, a kid walks by outside. The barber says "Hey, there goes the dumbest kid in the world! Watch this!" and calls the kid in.

The barber holds up a dollar in one hand and two quarters in the other. He says "Here, kid, take whichever one you want."

The kid says "Two is more than one!" and grabs the quarters and walks out the door. The barber has a good laugh at his expense.

Later on after he's got his haircut, the guy meets the kid again down at the diner where he's eating an ice cream cone. The guy says "Hey kid... why didn't you take the dollar?"

And the kid replies "Because the day I take the dollar, the game is over."

You see this? On the day the left really ends racial oppression once and for all, the game is over.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The United States in the last decade of the 19th Century was pretty libertarian, and we didn't descend into revolution, although we did have the Progressive Era.

That doesn't necessarily mean bigger government, though.

Who determines what exactly is in the social contract?

I'm a classical liberal. I certainly think that we need a government (although a world without borders or governments would be great, if it were possible). I know that we won't have a truly libertarian country any time soon, but I think we can eliminate a lot of government programs, and change the way we interact with the world (like not bomb brown people every few years).
    Including the last decade of the 19th century to the 1930's where the new deal came into effect, that gives us a span of 40 years, which isn't long at all. Thus we don't have an example of a long lasting pure libertarian government. Not saying it isn't impossible, but I can see clashes and separatists causing some strife within the country. (perhaps this is what were looking for, Alaska would be better off in they were out of the union, without a doubt) But my main point is that the country wouldn't stay together, then the arguement then goes on whether the US should break up in segments or not.

The initial people determine the social contract, "we will give you money, you protect us" at least from what history has shown, it only expands after that.

Well we will be seeing each other eye to eye for the most part as both of us want to limit government from the current state that it is in now, our disputes are grounded in how limited government should be.

As I said businesses like people, shouldn't be captives or heavily regulated, yet at the same time they should be held responsible for illegal or immoral (boy those terms are sure as hell up for interpretation) action by some sort of standardized law.

MBTI
    INTP

Ivy, I am glad to hear you are a Democrat. I do not understand these Republicans at all.

I just read in the paper: Young people of the right-wing party (the closest equivalent of your Republicans) want to stop all the social programs, because of the economic situation today. They proclaim their worry about their yet unborn children and their future economic status. Lots of ordinary people have lost their jobs.

In the same paper it says five percent of the people of Helsinki are actually starving now.
    In effect these young Republicans say: Let them starve to death so that our Republican children one day will have even more money than what we rich kids have now.

Whatever these Republican kids are, nice is not the word one can ascribe to them.