User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 375

  1. #11
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You're not going to get a satisfactory answer, then. Both major political parties have "values" that contradict others in their platforms.
    That's not really an issue though - people don't tend to vote on platforms or (historical) evidence.

    Anyway, republicans appeal is mostly towards security and group cohesion. It's both positive and negative, although recently the negative aspects have gained dominance, since religion and war is a useful way of creating locked in voters (I'm talking 25+years, not just the last decade).

    So, in response to the OP - people vote republican because they like the message. And yes, that's the same as the other side. The "why republican" is just a reaction to the opposing message, and it's reinforced by the... less ideal... republican party that has been recently in power.

  2. #12
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    I guess I consider myself republican solely because of my opposition to the idea that the role of the federal government should be as large as possible. I believe size is inversely proportional to the efficiency and effectiveness of an organization, be it a business or governing body. However I don't think we've seen that style of government for a long, long time and I doubt we ever will again.

    What I think of when I imagine "republican" is not what exists as the republican party today.



  3. #13
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    But kiddo, are you being sarcastic when you talk about the hard work?
    Protestant work ethic is a delusion.

    America has historically been opportunistic, often unethically, and that is why it has succeeded. Even the Pilgrims had no problem turning on the native people who had taught them how to grow food and raiding their villages. Nobody talks about the Thanksgiving where they kicked the decapitated heads of the natives down the streets.

    You succeed by taking advantage of opportunities and other people's hard work. There is usually initial risk involved in doing so but that is gambling, not hard work and diligence.

    America usually did so well because it did things like forcefully obtained land from natives, enslaved people from Africa to work the fields, bought land off countries that were in debt and at war like the French via the Louisiana Purchase, or conquered it via war such as all the land that was obtained from Mexico. And of course we bid our time entering WWI and WWII. And we have no problem coming to the aid of countries that are rich in natural resources like Kuwait and Iraq.

    8. People are Republican because they are selective in their history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  4. #14
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Protestant work ethic is a delusion.

    America has historically been opportunistic, often unethically, and that is why it has succeeded. Even the Pilgrims had no problem turning on the native people who had taught them how to grow food and raiding their villages. Nobody talks about the Thanksgiving where they kicked the decapitated heads of the natives down the streets.

    You succeed by taking advantage of opportunities and other people's hard work. There is usually initial risk involved in doing so but that is gambling, not hard work and diligence.

    America usually did so well because it did things like forcefully obtained land from natives, enslaved people from Africa to work the fields, bought land off countries that were in debt and at war like the French via the Louisiana Purchase, or conquered it via war such as all the land that was obtained from Mexico. And of course we bid our time entering WWI and WWII. And we have no problem coming to the aid of countries that are rich in natural resources like Kuwait and Iraq.

    8. People are Republican because they are selective in their history.

    You are selectively ignoring the fact that the USA has had one of the freest economies in the world for the vast majority of its history. That, along with a tradition of strong civil society and relatively non-corrupt government (compared to Europe), is the leading factor in its phenomenal wealth. That is inarguable, although I am sure you will make an attempt, anyway.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #15
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Nader for president!

    Oh...

  6. #16
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Probably for the same reason many claim to hate republicans; because the current slew of democrats in politics are taking us to fascism.
    Fascism? Give it a rest, man.


    The Republican Party is a very unpopular brand right now. It's not uncommon for even conservatives to throw the Republican party under the bus right now and call it a wash. They want a new party and a do-over.

    And since the inauguration, they've been doing worse, with all the Michael Steele mess-ups, the Rush controversy, the Republican budget with no numbers in it, Cheney coming out and embarrassing the party, Palin doing the same thing. And they are overly reactionary and aren't promoting their own ideas enough, so they can say No to Obama policy all they want, but no one wants to go with the people with no viable ideas of their own, especially in a time of crisis.

    I know they have high hopes in the next 4 or 8 years to make a comeback, but I wouldn't bet on it. Fortunately, there have been interesting voting and population shifts which have been happening that favor Democrats and liberalism.

  7. #17
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    You are selectively ignoring the fact that the USA has had one of the freest economies in the world for the vast majority of its history. That, along with a tradition of strong civil society and relatively non-corrupt government (compared to Europe), is the leading factor in its phenomenal wealth. That is inarguable, although I am sure you will make an attempt, anyway.
    The fact that you say it is "inarguable" is exactly why I won't argue it. Not because I believe it is inarguable, but that I've learned not to waste my time on people who practice dogma over reason. If it truly was "inarguable" then you could have simply demonstrated such with substantiated evidence but your failure to do so lowers your post to level of preaching. I hear your sermon, and while I disagree, I will respect that you are entitled to put faith wherever you see fit.

    9. People become Republicans because they embrace right-wing ideology over reality and practicality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

  8. #18
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    ...hoo-boy.

    (Keep it impersonal -- just wouldn't want this thread to stray too far and get moved.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  9. #19
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post


    The Republican Party is a very unpopular brand right now. It's not uncommon for even conservatives to throw the Republican party under the bus right now and call it a wash. They want a new party and a do-over.
    This is pretty much spot on. It's gotten to the point where I am embarrassed to admit I have personal conservative values, because I am then compared to the fruitcakes and irrational nutjobs. I think it's dead. Regional party at best, from now on I think. Oh well.



  10. #20
    I'm a star. Kangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    I'm conservative, but not republican. I don't think I'll be able to write anything that others haven't put beautifully. But kiddo, are you being sarcastic when you talk about the hard work?

    I think self reliance and the support of the community to keep each other self reliant are key aspects of American life and are essential to the prosperity of the country. Everyone does what they can, is how it's suppose to work. The hard work value can be traced back to the friggen Pilgrims, it's a key focus of American society from the get-go.
    This sums up my feelings. I'm not American, think both main parties in the US are full of eedjits, but would self identify as a small-c conservative on most non-social issues.

    You succeed by taking advantage of opportunities and other people's hard work. There is usually initial risk involved in doing so but that is gambling, not hard work and diligence.
    And I think this is almost 100% wrong.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

    "please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Similar Threads

  1. Why are you here?
    By rhinosaur in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM
  2. Religion... why?
    By wyrdsister in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 175
    Last Post: 01-28-2010, 04:31 PM
  3. Why I am here
    By HilbertSpace in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 01:18 AM
  4. Why?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 06:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO