User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    "Liberal" is in season, not as must as "Demcorat", but much more so than "Republican".

No, not really. They really salted the earth with "liberal." Everyone says "progressive" now.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The two parties actually have very different policy positions. I never thought the argument that they are too similar made much sense.
    That's primarily a joke to illustrate how much more polarized European politics are than American. European politicians on both sides make ours look very moderate by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    To be fair, the modern Republican Party sucks big, floppy donkey dick. The Democrats are no better, but the Republican Party of the 2000s is a caricature. They rode into power in '94 on the small-government platform, and then turned into warmongering, big-government monsters once they controlled every branch of government.
    Haha well, I must say I've never encountered an SJ with whom I had so much in common politically.

I'm a little more moderate on economics (I find it hard not to take it on a case-by-case basis with leftist solutions working sometimes and rightist ones others), but I'm with you all the way on social issues.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Haha well, I must say I've never encountered an SJ with whom I had so much in common politically.

I'm a little more moderate on economics (I find it hard not to take it on a case-by-case basis with leftist solutions working sometimes and rightist ones others), but I'm with you all the way on social issues.

Well, that's good to hear. My guiding principle is that the default setting in the world should be personal freedom (economic, social, sexual, whatever). It's the best way to allow society to progress.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Well, that's good to hear. My guiding principle is that the default setting in the world should be personal freedom (economic, social, sexual, whatever). It's the best way to allow society to progress.
    Keep in mind that a society isn't always mature enough to handle all of that freedom. Story of the human race...

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Keep in mind that a society isn't always mature enough to handle all of that freedom. Story of the human race...

The world shouldn't reshaped to be a haven for idiots.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

The world shouldn't reshaped to be a haven for idiots.
    Even though I believe in quite a few Libertarian principles myself, I can play devilís advocate here, pure Libertarian principles have never held long in any society (more specificly large societies), such societies were either dominated by a more organized groups, or went through some sort of revolt or revolution.

Progression requires some sort of organized consistency/stability.

A social contract gives up some freedoms in order to establish law and standards. Its debatable though on how much standardization is needed.

I donít know how libertarian you are, anarchist? (I just want clarification on the depth of your libertarian principles, we may actually agree more than I initially thought)

But, I would image such a system (that allowed complete freedom in all aspects) would work just as well (but not better than) as international relations, with the UN being just as effective as the central government would be in our hypothetical government/country.

Though a good counter argument would be that in a society that is there, near, or darn well near anarchic would most indefinitely increase competition, which would establish conflict, conflict being an important factor which has given rise to the most technological inventions within society.

After the fall of the Roman Empire, Europe was an anarchic system, and European imperialism was so successful due to all the infighting and the technologies and knowledge gained from such. (I'm not saying that is what would happen if the US went completely libertarian, but parallels could be made).

Once Europe developed power, strong movements for centralization were taking place, (there were resistance to such, and the rise of nationalism and the French revolution come to mind).

But now this begs the question, can pure libertarian policies exist within a powerful and large country? Would there be movements to break off? Bringing this back to the main point, can/would this hinder progression?

In conclusion, I don't seem to know the right answer exactly but these are thoughts that one should be reminiscing about when thinking of libertarianism (again depending on your depth of libertarianism, this entire argument could be made mute).

I may have made a few conceptual errors, and I don't mind corrections to those at all, but if the main points that I brought up can be hit, I would appreciate it.

MBTI
    INTP

No, not really. They really salted the earth with "liberal." Everyone says "progressive" now.
    The American right confused the term.
    It is not confusing only to the Europeans.

Human rights for the privileged only.
    To do what?
    To steal.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cogdecree View Post
    Even though I believe in quite a few Libertarian principles myself, I can play devilís advocate here, pure Libertarian principles have never held long in any society (more specificly large societies), such societies were either dominated by a more organized groups, or went through some sort of revolt or revolution.
    The United States in the last decade of the 19th Century was pretty libertarian, and we didn't descend into revolution, although we did have the Progressive Era.

Progression requires some sort of organized consistency/stability.
    That doesn't necessarily mean bigger government, though.

A social contract gives up some freedoms in order to establish law and standards. Its debatable though on how much standardization is needed.
    Who determines what exactly is in the social contract?

I donít know how libertarian you are, anarchist? (I just want clarification on the depth of your libertarian principles, we may actually agree more than I initially thought)
    I'm a classical liberal. I certainly think that we need a government (although a world without borders or governments would be great, if it were possible). I know that we won't have a truly libertarian country any time soon, but I think we can eliminate a lot of government programs, and change the way we interact with the world (like not bomb brown people every few years).

MBTI
    INTP

Theft is not labour.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ Maybe not, but I'm pretty confident that oranges are just flat out better than apples in every way imaginable.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?