User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    Yeah well you have a point but still, lets try not to start a debate war here.
    You would have a point, if the original creator of the thread had not asked about the merits of the republican position on health care herself.

So you finally understand why the thread title was presented in that fashion..lol

The topic creator was baiting, and it looks like he caught him some fish.

She .

MBTI
    ESFJ

The main issue is that people take on political ideologies for what I call "peacock" reasons. They espouse a political agenda that entails the government enforcing what they want on the world. A conservative who sees moral failing in modern society and a huge secular state wants those in government to "do something" about it. A liberal who sees economic inequality and minorities being discriminated against wants those in government to "do something" about it. They don't stop to think what the unintended consequences are, or whether or not it's appropriate or even constitutional for the government to intervene. They have personal values, but they care little for the principles and procedures that are supposed to govern a republican system of government, nor do they care much that other people disagree and legislation/enforcement affects everyone in the country.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    This country is on the wrong path when it comes that the right can't even understand the left, and the left can't understand the right anymore.
    I think more on the right understand the left than vice versa. At least conservatives will grant that liberals have good intentions but misguided solutions. After all, the Republican party started out being the ones at the forefront of the battle for equal rights for minorities and women. But to liberals, conservative views are usually attributed to intolerance, evilness, closed-mindedness, and other things that are more vague moral judgments than explanations.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    But to liberals, conservative views are usually attributed to intolerance, evilness, closed-mindedness, and other things that are more vague moral judgments than explanations.
    Those ARE explanations, Satan.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I think more on the right understand the left than vice versa. At least conservatives will grant that liberals have good intentions but misguided solutions. After all, the Republican party started out being the ones at the forefront of the battle for equal rights for minorities and women. But to liberals, conservative views are usually attributed to intolerance, evilness, closed-mindedness, and other things that are more vague moral judgments than explanations.

To be fair, the modern Republican Party sucks big, floppy donkey dick. The Democrats are no better, but the Republican Party of the 2000s is a caricature. They rode into power in '94 on the small-government platform, and then turned into warmongering, big-government monsters once they controlled every branch of government.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    To be fair, the modern Republican Party sucks big, floppy donkey dick. The Democrats are no better, but the Republican Party of the 2000s is a caricature. They rode into power in '94 on the small-government platform, and then turned into warmongering, big-government monsters once they controlled every branch of government.
    There is a nickel's worth of difference between Republicans and Democrats. A democrat will steal your nickel and a Republican will kill you for it.

Also, in the words of Malcolm X... Republicans are wolves and Democrats are foxes.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The main issue is that people take on political ideologies for what I call "peacock" reasons. They espouse a political agenda that entails the government enforcing what they want on the world. A conservative who sees moral failing in modern society and a huge secular state wants those in government to "do something" about it. A liberal who sees economic inequality and minorities being discriminated against wants those in government to "do something" about it. They don't stop to think what the unintended consequences are, or whether or not it's appropriate or even constitutional for the government to intervene. They have personal values, but they care little for the principles and procedures that are supposed to govern a republican system of government, nor do they care much that other people disagree and legislation/enforcement affects everyone in the country.
    Right. That's what I was saying. The left wants changes in society and in the country/world in order to make it conform to what THEY think is best for the world. They may have benevolent reasons, but as they say "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". The left keeps a vision of how to better CHANGE the world, while the reactionaries of the right keep a vision of what works in the world based on past experience. In the extremes, either side is devoid of qualities from the other, which is obviously not conducive to a grounded yet forward moving society. The left tends to forget about the merit of past experience and about unintended the consequences of their actions on the grand scale as they seek to conform the world to whatever image they hold of it. The right serves to keep things grounded in what is tried and true.

It should be noted that where real people are concerned, each person has their own set of beliefs and views about the world. Everyone thinks differently, and thus we all have different "political views". What politics does with the political parties is to for a platform of principles that appeal to a certain segment of the population that shares some of the values and principles expressed in the parties. It isn't the political machinery that creates a political ideology (in people who think for themselves/most of the population), it is the views of individuals who organize into groups based on a shared vision that create the foundation for what we call "parties". When it comes to the political realm of representative parties (i.e. republicans and dems in Washington), those parties were created to represent their constituents; the many individuals who share some beliefs in common and feel they are best represented by one particular party of representatives (not that the party expresses all of the person's views). Political parties were never really designed to represent EVERYONE, but rather a fair portion of the population who feel the party is a fair representation of what they believe in.

The problem arises when the politicians adhere to the inner workings of the political machinery, rather than doing their best to fully represent their constituents. Ideally, individuals are supposed to vote for individual representatives in hopes that that person will best serve their needs and legislate/govern according to what they believe. However, people often fail to look at individual representatives and their character, and look only to the "party" they belong to in order to determine who best represents them. They forget that power is seated in the individual representatives and in their own ability to choose which one best serves their views. Thus, you begin to have a lot of politicians in the party who are completely out of touch with what the people really want. It gets worse as they begin to work in the political machinery, and lose all sight of where they came from or why they were elected.

I'll end the rambling here...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So you finally understand why the thread title was presented in that fashion..lol

The topic creator was baiting, and it looks like he caught him some fish.
    Yeah, well, when someone writes about wanting to know why, I assume they're sincere. Guess you can add "naive" to my attributes.

I try to take threads seriously, even if the person that posts them doesn't word it in a serious way. If the point was merely to belittle the republican party, there are already more threads than I care to count that do this, and it makes me frown upon the original poster's intentions in the forum.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTP

Is there any point in comparing a political party's dominant ideology from bygone days?

If the republican party has evolved into dominance by religious neoconservatives who prefer expanding govt, why say republicans stand for smaller govt? what chance is there of a moderate party coming back?

If universities were not a profit oriented industry, it might be cheap enough for doctors to complete their education without worrying about forcing healthcare costs into a realm where so many cannot afford adequate coverage. I know a few doctors in germany, and while they would like to earn more money, they are not indebted with such massive amounts of loans as american counterparts are.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Also, in the words of Malcolm X... Republicans are wolves and Democrats are foxes.
    Heh, I've always thought of it as, "Republican ideology is good for me, Democratic ideology is good for everyone else."