User Tag List

First 91011121321 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

I think the OP begs another question, why is it that conservatives seem to be better at understanding the appeal of liberalism than vice versa? I kind of think it's because conservatism isn't that appealing to most people.
    I don't wanna!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    I think the OP begs another question, why is it that conservatives seem to be better at understanding the appeal of liberalism than vice versa? I kind of think it's because conservatism isn't that appealing to most people.
    I believe the difference is that conservatism has never been about feeling good, and is essentially a reactionary sort of philosophy, where as liberals are progressive (wanting to instill change in society to create a more perfect world). Conservatives are reactionary because they believe in sticking with what is TRIED AND TRUE, that which has been proven to work historically. Liberals (not necessarily all democrats), wish to change the image of the world into a better one, an image that is always obscured by their own ideology and beliefs and rarely objective simply due to the nature of how people always view the world through a unique pair of eyes that (at the end of the day) always see what is most beneficial to themselves. For some this often turns into a type of, "selfishness in the name of selflessness." A false selflessness, needless to say.

Both ways of thinking are needed in society. Reactionaries effectively bridle and ground the progressives in what is real, while the progressives have the drive to move society forward in new directions that can prove to be beneficial and evolutionary. A completely liberal society would throw itself off a cliff like a bunch of lemmings seeking the promised land, while a society of nothing but reactionaries would seldom move forward (despite how well they may do with the position they get stuck in). Both are very much needed, but it is the imbalance between the two that is a detriment to society.

MBTI
    ENTP

The only proper political point of view is to be apolitical. Most issues do not actually have sides. Seeing things in this light only divides people who must function as a society. It should never be a question of what is fair or just or right. These things are beyond argument among people. The only question worthy of discussion is: what is the goal? If we can agree on the goals, then the solutions are easy. Because once we have the goal, we must only test various approaches to the problem. The most successful solution is the "right" solution. The problem in politics is that we never talk in terms of the results or goals, only in terms of cause. Results are testable and verifiable.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Even if you consider emergency-only care medical coverage, you have to admit that it's as pathetic and inefficient a method as you could possibly imagine. Is it better than kicking people into the gutter, saying "no money, no life, too bad"? Sure - it's better.

And all of that ignores the fact that there is medical care that improves the quality of life of the patient that isn't emergency-room treatable. Or do only the (relatively) rich deserve basic care for things like depression, insomnia, and arthritis?
    1. Preventative cancer-screens (pap screens and prostate exams being two exceptions) are being wide criticized for their lack of producing positive preventative results.

That aside, THAT is what health insurance is for. You need insurance to do everything. Driving, owning a home, your very LIFE should be insured, and all of this costs money, and thus, makes you the citizen work hard to get money to contribute to the things you need.

Health insurance is what provides you with doctor visits, relief from perscription drug costs, etc. People who claim they can't afford health insurance but drive, have TVs, eat junk, etc. It's insane. People complain that they can't go to the docs, but the truth is they aren't willing to go to the doc's. They can pay full price every time they walk into an office because they're hardly ever sick, or pay for health insurance (or one of those inbetweeny programs, where you pay for what you want) and go to the docs for little to nothing.

Anything more than the common cold, and less than a car-accident, don't you think that person should consider health insurance? But that's never a solution for people's minds. It's always "The government should pay for it!" The reality is, if it's universal health care in the true sense of the word.. YOU will be paying for it either way. I'd rather pay for my own personal health insurance, and have the next person choose whether they want to or not. I don't want to pay for my neighbor's doc visits because they're hypochondriacs and go for cancer tests everytime they get the sniffles.

The goal is to give people the freedom to be flexible about their health. You have options, and you won't be denied anything life threatening, but it's up to you to take charge of your life. Not the government. They're enforcers, not babysitters and nannies.

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    The only question worthy of discussion is: what is the goal? If we can agree on the goals, then the solutions are easy.
    I agree entirely with this.. People won't always get what they want, and for every person that thinks one way, there is another who is opposite of them, and one that is refusing to think at all.. but knowing your goal eliminates all of that bantering and nonsense. The goal will be achieved, and anything less should be put on the backburner.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Because "conservatives" put a lot more thought into the whole thing?

In all seriousness, I think someone's inability to understand an oppossing viewpoint says a lot more about that person than it does the opposing viewpoint...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Because "conservatives" put a lot more thought into the whole thing?

In all seriousness, I think someone's inability to understand an oppossing viewpoint says a lot more about that person than it does the opposing viewpoint...
    This country is on the wrong path when it comes that the right can't even understand the left, and the left can't understand the right anymore.

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    You guys started it, plus, issues that pertain to republican positions on issues are more relevant to this thread than Kiddo's and Mercury's forum histories anyway. Right?
    Yeah well you have a point but still, lets try not to start a debate war here.

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The fact that someone who was not a poster was reading my posts from a year ago on a typology website makes me happy.
    Yeah, I read a lot of posters posts. You and a few others were some of the ones I ran into a lot.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ I'm failing to see the point of this thread then. "Why would you possibly want to be a Republican when there's Democrats!!" is like asking black people in the 1950's "Why do you want your freedom?" .. The answer is obvious if that was the real intent of the question, but since the question is so obvious the intent is more likely meant to provoke the party than to be civil.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^ I'm failing to see the point of this thread then. "Why would you possibly want to be a Republican when there's Democrats!!" is like asking black people in the 1950's "Why do you want your freedom?" .. The answer is obvious if that was the real intent of the question, but since the question is so obvious the intent is more likely meant to provoke the party than to be civil.
    So you finally understand why the thread title was presented in that fashion..lol

The topic creator was baiting, and it looks like she caught her some fish.
    Last edited by Lasting_Pain; 04-04-2009 at 02:08 PM.