User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Jeez, I wonder how conflicted the liberal eugenicists are on this issue...
    Anyone willing to confess to being a liberal eugenicist? Come on, I know some of you are hiding on here.
    i believe that i am in hell, therefore i am there.
    –arthur rimbaud

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I never claimed it was universal. Just that people can always go to the emergency room.
    It was in reference to the series of posts starting from this one

Oberon

I'm not a Republican, though I am conservative.

I'm registered Independent, because that best describes me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    Anyone willing to confess to being a liberal eugenicist? Come on, I know some of you are hiding on here.
    I know of one, but I wont call him out.

Oberon

The modern-day liberal's desire to keep minorities comfortably "in their place" is always implied, not expressed.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I'm a conservative, but I don't like the label "republican". If I had it my way, I would just have the label "American"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    The modern-day liberal's desire to keep minorities comfortably "in their place" is always implied, not expressed.
    Explain?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I am saying that we do not have a huge poor class, yes. We don't. We're a very wealthy country, and the number of people who are poverty-stricken is very small compared to the number of people who are well-off or getting by.
    Sorry to not respond sooner, but I wasn't at my computer.

But... why is just "getting by" satisfactory in a nation that is supposed to be the greatest on earth (as I constantly hear from the Right)?

Curious as to your opinion.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    All right.

I've thought this for years, and now I'll say it.

Why would anyone want to be a republican?
    Because they support what is touted as Republican ideology. In a nutshell, this includes Christian religious values on one hand, and a Capitalistic society with a minimum of government interference on the other. There's also a mild slant towards maintaining the status quo, moving backwards, or moving forwards more slowly, depending on which group of Republicans you deal with.

Often, a person will be a Republican just because they support one of these as their strongest value, and is willing to ignore the other implications. Note well that more attention is payed to ideology than actual effects.

There's little choice in this, because the actual effects of a policy are complicated and based on so many variables that most people can't understand why things happen a certain way. Also, if people actually understood what the best choice was from moment to moment, they would support different measures from moment to moment as well... and then what the party believed would become too complicated for most people.

This works for Democrats too, actually. The difference is that they stand for social progressiveness and freedom on one hand, and more Government regulation of the economy on the other. The opposite of the Republicans.

In other words, people don't support parties because of the results of their actions. People support them because of what the parties ideology represents to them, and what meshes with their value systems.

If I were to make a guess, here's how I guess it works out:

Republican Fs: Christian values (Fearing moral corruption).
    Republican Ts: Capitalism (Fearing government regulation will hurt profits).
    Democratic Ts: Economic regulation (Fearing greed will destroy the economy otherwise).
    Democratic Fs: Social progress (Fearing that people be unfairly oppressed or hurt by traditional standards).

This is a very gross generalization, of course. The point is, most people only focus on one half of their parties picture, and are willing to let the other half go either way, tending not to focus on the implications of it.

So, to answer your question... the average Republican F probably thinks they are good people because they're working to stamp out immorality. And from a certain perspective, they are. But from another, they're not. It's all up to interpretation, really.

Does that make sense?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Sorry to not respond sooner, but I wasn't at my computer.

But... why is just "getting by" satisfactory in a nation that is supposed to be the greatest on earth (as I constantly hear from the Right)?

Curious as to your opinion.

Because different people have different talents that are rewarded with different levels of remuneration. Any attempt to level the economic results in a free economy invariably end up wrecking economic growth and innovation.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"