User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Afghan Law Legalizing Rape

Default New Afghan Law Legalizing Rape | Outrage over Afghan law legalizing rape in marriage

Outrage over Afghan law legalizing rape in marriage

Updated Wed. Apr. 1 2009 5:54 PM ET

A new Afghan law that dramatically inhibits the rights of women, including reportedly legalizing rape within marriage, has raised the ire of Canadian politicians from all parties, who are demanding that President Hamid Karzai clarify his position on the legislation.

The new law, which conflicting reports say has either passed or is still under consideration, would apply to the country's Shia minority. It would reportedly make it illegal for a woman to refuse to have sex with her husband and forbid her from leaving home without her husband's permission.

The law would also reportedly grant custody rights to fathers and grandfathers.

During a heated debate in the House of Commons on Wednesday, NDP Leader Jack Layton expressed his disappointment in the law and asked the Conservative government how it plans to respond.

"Can the government tell us today how it's going to express the disappointment of the Canadian people with regard to these laws that attack women?" Layton asked during question period.

International Trade Minister Stockwell Day reiterated comments he made Tuesday about the law, saying the government has asked for an explanation from Karzai.

"What is very clear, is that we are concerned with the provisions in this law as we see them," he said, "and we are calling unequivocally upon the government in Afghanistan to make sure they live up to their international treaty obligations for human rights, especially human rights for women."

NDP defence critic Dawn Black said news of the legislation would be disheartening to the thousands of Canadian soldiers who have served in Afghanistan.

"The government has said over and over again that the underpinning of this mission was to defend women's rights and to provide education for girls," Black said. "Mr. Speaker, after all the sacrifices, after all that Canadian families have put on the line, could this really end up being what we're fighting for in Afghanistan?"

Earlier Wednesday, Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff sharply rebuked the Afghan government upon hearing of the legislation.

Ignatieff said that he is "outraged on behalf of Afghan women. Citizens of that country deserve better."

Karzai has yet to comment on the law. However, reports indicate the legislation has Karzai's support, according to Michael Wodzicki of Rights & Democracy.

"It seems more that it's a question of politicking in the sense that Afghanistan is having elections in August, President Karzai is up for election, and from what we can tell this law is a part of that process, in terms of Mr. Karzai trying to get votes from the Shia population," Wodzicki said Wednesday on CTV Newsnet.

On Tuesday, Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon, who was attending a conference on Afghanistan in Europe, spoke to two Afghan cabinet ministers about the law. Cannon has yet to comment on what came of those discussions.

In 2001, NATO troops forced out Afghanistan's ruling Taliban regime, which strictly followed sharia law. Under Taliban rule, women could not attend school, hold jobs, go out in public uncovered or see a male doctor without being accompanied by a male relative.

While Afghanistan's current constitution guarantees equal rights for women, it allows the Shia to have a separate family law that is based on religious traditions.

According to Wodzicki, human rights groups work with Afghan politicians and citizens to ensure that laws reflect the Afghan constitution as well as other, more progressive, laws that are passed in other countries.

However, it's work that could take generations.

"Culture is something that takes years, decades, even centuries to develop. And when we're talking about developing a culture of human rights and a culture that protects women's rights in Afghanistan, it's not going to take place in the eight years that has passed since the fall of the Taliban," Wodzicki said. "This is a long-term endeavour."

Jordan's Queen Noor, speaking to CTV Newsnet Wednesday, said that Islam "provides protections and equal rights to men and women."

While noting she hasn't read the entire law, Queen Noor added it likely contravenes both Islamic laws and human rights conventions.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

12 and a half weeks Array BerberElla's Avatar

While noting she hasn't read the entire law, Queen Noor added it likely contravenes both Islamic laws and human rights conventions.
    Perhaps she should make it a point to read the entire law then, since it doesn't break Islamic law.

A wife is not allowed to refuse her husband sex except if she is ill and has a genuine medical reason against it.

Infact it even goes so far as to tell said woman that if she says no, she will be cursed by the angels. :rolli:

I know an ex muslim who actually lives in afghanistan, and according to him the law has been passed so unfortunately it's real. :steam:
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

lab rat extraordinaire Array CrystalViolet's Avatar
    5w4 sx/sp

It's sad. Why do they hate women so much?
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

468 sx/sp

I love the Canadians.

Permabanned Array

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post
    It's sad. Why do they hate women so much?
    Because they hate a lot of things in this world. There is a prevalent hate filled culture and religion in that part of the planet.

Is there anywhere we can see the actual law? I would like to see exactly what it says.

Knowing how shit goes, though it's probably just as heinous as we can imagine.

Senior Member Array professor goodstain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Army View Post
    Is there anywhere we can see the actual law? I would like to see exactly what it says.

Knowing how shit goes, though it's probably just as heinous as we can imagine.
    It's more word of mouth over there. They don't have alot of tvs and radios. I can believe it.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar

We have troops fighting and dying in Afganistan trying to build infrastructure.

But we can't help remembering what happened to the British and the Russians in Afganistan.

And it hasn't passed our attention that 57 Islamic states have formally rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

And these same 57 states have already passed a non-binding resolution in the United Nations to criminalise free speech.

And these same states are trying to pass this same resolution in the UN that will bind us all.

But we only have to look to the Swat Valley in Pakistan to see the future.

The Pakistan Government has formally handed over the Swat Valley, a strategic valley leading into disputed Kashmir, to the Taliban.

So with the agreement of the Pakistani Government, and no doubt the Americans, Sharia Law rules now free and clear in the Swat Valley.

Women are forbidden to go to school and must remain at home or only go out with a male relative.

But what schools would the women go to - they have all been bombed.

And rape, of course, is simply a disciplinary measure - and is the complete expression of male power over women.

So why should we be surprised by any of this?
    There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Simply messing.
    Click on

And to understand the internet click on

Enter the Maelstrom with Marshall McLuhan by clicking on

I am very disappointed. I watched the segment on CNN today. This is a step-backwards for the Muslim World.

That entire culture and their views on women confuses me.

But I guess dehumanizing segments of the population isn't too foreign of a concept. Abolished slavery and equal woman's rights are still newer concepts historically.

I'm curious if western culture has ever taken such an aggressive stance towards women. Middle-eastern culture seems to have such violent conviction to keep things as they are. Maybe it's a backlash owing to western influence.

As an aside I'd like to slap Jack Layton. I understand that the purpose of the opposition is to question the ruling government, but he's always more concerned with spitting on the ruling party than actually addressing issues. His antics with the coalition earlier in the year were juvenile.