User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 20 of 20

  1. #11
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I see nothing wrong in watching Glenn Beck for entertainment or because someone thinks it's interesting, but he really shouldn't be taken seriously.

    I don't think he's that consistent. He trashed 9/11 victims and said he's sick of their complaining, then some time later he goes on to cry and cry on his show about his 9/12 project.
    Yep. That alone makes him comepletely distateful to me. Actually, it's the ham-fisted, simple-minded notions he goes on about, like 'values' that combine with the rest to make him nothing more than an entertainer. Does he not realize that the values that he thinks are truly American, are really just another point of view, one of several that are equaly valid?
    Once again "'common sense' and 'logic' are used to support just another set of presuppositions and opinions.
    One of his values is that God is an intrinsic part of Americal life, or something to that effect. Well, I guess the idea of a plural society, which is built into the framework of the Constitution, is lost on him, as is the idea that some people don't belive in the 'sanctity' of marriage. What he wants us to believe is that there are some values that are more fundamental than others, and that to belive otherwise is to be un-American. It's just the same old Reagan-era talk in new bottles. The crying certainly doesn't help, IMO.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Enyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xNTJ
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I see nothing wrong in watching Glenn Beck for entertainment or because someone thinks it's interesting, but he really shouldn't be taken seriously.

    I don't think he's that consistent. He trashed 9/11 victims and said he's sick of their complaining, then some time later he goes on to cry and cry on his show about his 9/12 project.
    Perhaps I should say he *was* consistent. :P He was one of my sleepy-time shows. I used to sleep to CNN headline news when Beck was on. Nancy Grace's self-righteous histrionics always put me out like a light. (Since they replaced Beck's show with Jane Velez-Mitchell, I can't even stand to watch CNN.)

    The 9/12 project is post Headline News.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

  3. #13
    Senior Member Enyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    xNTJ
    Posts
    443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Yep. That alone makes him comepletely distateful to me. Actually, it's the ham-fisted, simple-minded notions he goes on about, like 'values' that combine with the rest to make him nothing more than an entertainer. Does he not realize that the values that he thinks are truly American, are really just another point of view, one of several that are equaly valid?
    Once again "'common sense' and 'logic' are used to support just another set of presuppositions and opinions.
    One of his values is that God is an intrinsic part of Americal life, or something to that effect. Well, I guess the idea of a plural society, which is built into the framework of the Constitution, is lost on him, as is the idea that some people don't belive in the 'sanctity' of marriage. What he wants us to believe is that there are some values that are more fundamental than others, and that to belive otherwise is to be un-American. It's just the same old Reagan-era talk in new bottles. The crying certainly doesn't help, IMO.
    To his credit, he insists that he is not a journalist and that his show is not a news show. He's a guy with opinions who has a show where he talks about his opinions. At least he always admits that he speaks from a conservative point of view.

    I always vehemently disagreed with his views about religion and marriage. I appreciated his views on national security, illegal immigration, and the economy. It was a show that got me thinking, even when I was resisting the urge to throw something at the TV because I disagreed so strongly.

    But he stands for something, at least. *shrugs*
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

  4. #14
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    All political commentators stand for things, Glenn beck just gets hyper emotional and puts things in super vague and simplistic terms to support bizarre conclusions.

    If you buy into what he's saying a little bit, sure it's exciting, but it's not real.

  5. #15
    jump sleuthiness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    The guy likely doesn't see the image that he projects as having potential for humor, which sometimes puts him up there with Colbert because it's like comparing the value of a show without a laughtrack to one with and Colbert can come off like a lapdog way too often for me despite his superior observations. So even though Beck can come off like a younger Pat Robertson, I don't watch tv for news or religion, and Beck's show is a better-disguised 700 Club without the calling in for donations shtick which makes it worth watching when I've been at the computer for way too long and the Colbert's doing the "oh man, I just told a joke then stared at the camera, so applaud!" look on a rerun doesn't appeal. I'd just rather watch Beavis and Butthead for a decade than one episode of some other superior, long-running cartoon.

    So yeah, I like to find humor in stuff via my own pretentious perceptions.

  6. #16
    I am Sofa King!!! kendoiwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by candylandjoe View Post
    The guy likely doesn't see the image that he projects as having potential for humor, which sometimes puts him up there with Colbert because it's like comparing the value of a show without a laughtrack to one with and Colbert can come off like a lapdog way too often for me. So even though Beck can come off like a younger Pat Robertson, I don't watch tv for news or religion, and Beck's show is a better-disguised 700 Club without the calling in for donations shtick which makes it worth watching when I've been at the computer for way too long and the Colbert's doing the "oh man, I just told a joke then stared at the camera, so applaud!" look on a rerun doesn't appeal.

    I like to find humor in stuff via my own pretentious perceptions.
    Someone didn't watch the video
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

    "They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

  7. #17
    jump sleuthiness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Someone didn't watch the video
    I did and it was great!

  8. #18
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    I don't watch the guy because he's saintly, because he's righteous, or because his past isn't filled with shit. I watch the guy because in recent years he has proven himself to be a viable source for commentary on the news of the day. I watch him because he has proven himself to be accurate and concerned with the facts primarily, followed by the logical conclusions that tie together everything that is going on. That is why I value the guy's opinions, and that is why I watch/listen to his show for information.

    For those of you who don't like the guy, whatever. I'm not gonna go on defending him. But Glenn does say he's not a journalist, he runs an opinion show. He openly admits to his vices, defects, and the shitty things hes done in the past. He admits that his entry into the industry was as a comedy shock jock, not the relatively conservative political commentator he is now. At present he conducts himself like a very decent human being who is concerned with the truth. As long as he continues to act ion that manner and deliver sound facts and logical conclusions, I'll watch the guy.

  9. #19
    I am Sofa King!!! kendoiwan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    1,334

    Default

    I for one don't like or dislike him, but I'm always up for a good pwnage, I'm equal opportunity like that.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

    "They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    1,650

    Default

    As much as I disagree with his overly simplistic views, I have to give him credit for being willing to say what he believes without caring about political correctness.

Similar Threads

  1. Glenn Gould
    By MerkW in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-11-2016, 04:26 PM
  2. Type Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert
    By Kiddo in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 11:32 PM
  3. Glenn Beck
    By Bella in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 07:26 PM
  4. Glenn Beck?! Seriously?
    By Kangirl in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 01:15 AM
  5. Glenn Beck on Marijuana Legalization
    By Didums in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 08:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO