User Tag List

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Employee Free Choice Act

I just saw Richard Schiff and Bradley Whitford (who looked like he was on Halcion) on MSNBC arguing in favor of the Employee Free Choice Act. This is going to be a major battle in Congress. Honestly, I cannot for the life of me figure how unions can sell card check as fairer than a secret ballot. That is prima facie nonsense.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

I read that as well a while back, I believe it will just allow union intimidation to go ramped.

Of course I can't claim unions use intimidation, unless I found examples of such, and I found many, and to keep the attention of the average reader (I debate in other forums, where attention span is low due to the amount of info) so I have them in youtube form, which is limited, but great enough to quickly demonstrate my point.

YouTube - Union Intimidation and Violence
    YouTube - Union Threatens 16 Year Old Girl
    YouTube - Union Officials Threaten Nurses with Arrest, Jail, and Fines

And the EFCA will only intensify this problem
    Last edited by cogdecree; 04-03-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm always so wary of things like unions.. They always sound like good things, but it's almost like the better it sounds, the bigger of a secret catch there is. Like when you join the army, they only tell you the good half naturally so you'll get in, but after you're in it seems like half of the people felt duped and the other half were content with their decision.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    xNTJ

I've only had one union job. I will never work in a union job again. I am firmly convinced that:

1.) Unions exist to help the guy who's been there the longest, regardless of skill and expertise from experience gained outside that union.

2.) Unions are the devil.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

MBTI
    INTj

I dislike unions, but they provide balance against tyrannical employers. The key is balance. Giving too much power to either side is detrimental.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    I dislike unions, but they provide balance against tyrannical employers. The key is balance. Giving too much power to either side is detrimental.

I am not arguing against the existence of unions (I myself will probably join the Producers Guild of America someday). I am arguing that it's ridiculous to say that a system that allows everyone to see which way a worker has voted on union organization is a fairer system than a secret ballot.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I am not arguing against the existence of unions (I myself will probably join the Producers Guild of America someday). I am arguing that it's ridiculous to say that a system that allows everyone to see which way a worker has voted on union organization is a fairer system than a secret ballot.
    /agree
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I am arguing that it's ridiculous to say that a system that allows everyone to see which way a worker has voted on union organization is a fairer system than a secret ballot.
    I agree with you. Such a system would be prone to harassment and coercion.