User Tag List

First 123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I don't think it matters. I think that the people who believe that presidents shouldn't have a say in hiring or firing of CEOs (and that the government shouldn't be bailing out private companies with public) probably don't have much overlap with people who are super-biased one way or the other with Bush/Obama.
    Yea, you're probably right, but I can at least hold on to my idealism for a few fleeting seconds...

In any case, If you couple this sort of power with the power Geitner is requesting, to be able to take over and/or shut down ANY company (not just financial) that is deemed a "potential threat to the economy's health" by the flippant discretion of the government, then you have the makings of absurdly intrusive government powers.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Yea, you're probably right, but I can at least hold on to my idealism for a few fleeting seconds...

In any case, If you couple this sort of power with the power Geitner is requesting, to be able to take over and/or shut down ANY company (not just financial) that is deemed a "potential threat to the economy's health" by the flippant discretion of the government, then you have the makings of absurdly intrusive government powers.

I don't think that Geithner will get that power. If he does, he leaves the entire Obama Administration open to every sling and arrow there is if the economy doesn't turn around pronto. The few intelligent Republicans left in Washington would KILL them for it.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

If anyone heard "Bush's" address about the auto industry this morning, NOOOOOOOOOWOWWW he's talking about letting GM file for chapter 11 and restructure under bankruptcy :steam:. Too bad they didn't see fit to do that BEFORE we spent billions on them. If they'd just done it from the beginning like we said....

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I might be wrong here, but it doesn't seem like Obama forced his hand very much. Wagoner didn't have many options in the first place. Really, he sinks with the ship or he resigns. That was his option without or without Obama, wasn't it?

Oh the melodrama. Firing a ceo of a former private company. I'm choking in the rhetoric.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTj

What would be so bad about letting it go bankrupt? It is not a viable business. Paying people $76/hr to tighten bolts don't make sense.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I might be wrong here, but it doesn't seem like Obama forced his hand very much. Wagoner didn't have many options in the first place. Really, he sinks with the ship or he resigns. That was his option without or without Obama, wasn't it?

Oh the melodrama. Firing a ceo of a former private company. I'm choking in the rhetoric.

The POTUS should not even be suggesting such a thing in public. It's completely inappropriate. The only people who should make that decision are the shareholders. Although, of course, the Big 3 have been wards of the state for decades.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    Good for Bush, about time that guy did something right.
    yay! George really IS one of the greatest presidents that ever lived!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The POTUS should not even be suggesting such a thing in public. It's completely inappropriate. The only people who should make that decision are the shareholders. Although, of course, the Big 3 have been wards of the state for decades.
    Seriously. The board of directors and shareholders should be making such decisions, in the best interest of the company. At this point I say served him right for taking the government money, but it doesn't mean I'm any less appalled at how much power the government is brandishing. Not such a bad thing if we could at least expect companies to stop taking bailout money after seeing these examples of how taking the blood money means you are at the mercy of the government. However, that deterrent may become void if Geitner and "Bush" get their way.

Those of us who watch the news closely know that in the initial stages of these bailouts, some (or many) banks and companies were pressured into taking government money. That would be vastly more prevalent under the government's new powers to just seize companies that pose an economic threat, needing only the agreement of the President of the company to do it. The ease with which the government could take things over in the name of saving the economy, by simply coercing ONE person in the company, is an outrageous power potential that does not need to be enabled. God forbid we should see this economic crisis linger on or truly have a collapse with the currency with the government having those sorts of powers.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

It would be so much better if there were no bailouts and we let ourselves sink into an economic depression.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It would be so much better if there were no bailouts and we let ourselves sink into an economic depression.

It would probably be better in the long run if we did not bail companies out, yes. There are a few things the Fed can do to minimize the problems we are going through, but what we're doing now is sending the wrong information to actors in the economy. It's hard to trust the Fed to make the right moves, though. They screwed up at the outset of the Great Depression, they screwed up raising interest rates too quickly and too far ten years ago. It's frightening that we do not address the long-term weaknesses in our system.