User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    At present, what is your mood about what is going on in the country, economically, politically, etc.? Does anyone else feel like their head is going to explode? Personally I would hope that EVERYONE'S heads are popping like popcorn due to what is going on, but in reality, I know some kernels are very stubborn and impotent...
    Well my head isn't exploding. Perhaps because I have a good grasp of history, which helps put many things in perspective.

In another thread, you made an analogy to the Biblical prophets and how their predictions of doom were ignored. That's certainly true. But it's also true that once the doom arrived, the Prophets were the first ones to preach hope and promise to the people.

A perfect example of this was the message of the Prophet Amos, who prophetised about the destruction of the Kingdom of Israel and the exiling of the Israelites into a foreign land. Yet once all that occurs, he offers a message of hope to the people:
    "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt. And I will turn the captivity of My people Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them. And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be plucked up out of their land which I have given them, saith the Lord thy God."
    -Book of Amos, 9:13-15
    Like Amos, I too see light at the end of the tunnel. This too shall past. Times of crisis are often times of great promise. Life in one form or another will continue to roll on. In order to reach the promised land, one must first travel through the wilderness.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Que sera, sera.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Well my head isn't exploding. Perhaps because I have a good grasp of history, which helps put many things in perspective.

In another thread, you made an analogy to the Biblical prophets and how their predictions of doom were ignored. That's certainly true. But it's also true that once the doom arrived, the Prophets were the first ones to preach hope and promise to the people.

A perfect example of this was the message of the Prophet Amos, who prophetised about the destruction of the Kingdom of Israel and the exiling of the Israelites into a foreign land. Yet once all that occurs, he offers a message of hope to the people:
    "Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that the plowman shall overtake the reaper, and the treader of grapes him that soweth seed; and the mountains shall drop sweet wine, and all the hills shall melt. And I will turn the captivity of My people Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine thereof; they shall also make gardens, and eat the fruit of them. And I will plant them upon their land, and they shall no more be plucked up out of their land which I have given them, saith the Lord thy God."
    -Book of Amos, 9:13-15
    Like Amos, I too see light at the end of the tunnel. This too shall past. Times of crisis are often times of great promise. Life in one form or another will continue to roll on. In order to reach the promised land, one must first travel through the wilderness.
    Well the entire reason why my head is often swelling is because all of these problems are caused by basic aspects of human nature that I do horribly despise. Ignorance and greed are behind the actions of many of the human beings who took the actions that caused the problems we have and are continuing to make them worse in every way possible. If someone would just turn on the lights in peoples' heads and bring some virtue and integrity to our government, we'd be headed in a far different direction (a far better one).

I have always been a careful observer of people in my life, observing the every success and mistake they make and the reasons why. I have the same attitude when it comes to observing society or the country in this financial crisis. Observe and learn from mistakes. It drives me up a wall when I have to observe people repeat the same mistakes time and time again. If there is one thing I have been surprised by most in the years I've been alive, it's in people's abject lack of the capacity to recognize their mistakes and learn from them.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Can the government become to big to fail? Then who will bail it out? Then if it gets bailed out, how did it happen?
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Same as usual. They'll cut spending on social securety and defense. Then they'll figure it out yet again-gotta cut all taxes to build revenue.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Well the entire reason why my head is often swelling is because all of these problems are caused by basic aspects of human nature that I do horribly despise. Ignorance and greed are behind the actions of many of the human beings who took the actions that caused the problems we have and are continuing to make them worse in every way possible. If someone would just turn on the lights in peoples' heads and bring some virtue and integrity to our government, we'd be headed in a far different direction (a far better one).

I have always been a careful observer of people in my life, observing the every success and mistake they make and the reasons why. I have the same attitude when it comes to observing society or the country in this financial crisis. Observe and learn from mistakes. It drives me up a wall when I have to observe people repeat the same mistakes time and time again. If there is one thing I have been surprised by most in the years I've been alive, it's in people's abject lack of the capacity to recognize their mistakes and learn from them.
    Ever since Adam Smith we have known that private greed produces public prosperity.

However prior to Adam Smith we believed usury was a sin. And so usury was limited to Jews.

And so today, when there is a downturn in the economy we blame the greedy bankers, code for greedy Jews.

At our slightest setback we revert to anti-semitism.

Affairs went out of vogue when Clinton left office didn't they?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

It's all good. I've decided to stop worrying about it. Mostly because, to be fair, I have no desire to change that particular system. Government will always be corrupt, and so long as I can live my life, and my kids can live theirs, that's all that matters. If a government becomes too corrupt, it will fall. The cycle just begins anew.

For what it matters, I'm pretty liberal. But I give up now. I'm pretty disillusioned toward government right now.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Eh, it's fine
    Actually four of my good friends got laid off from their jobs, soooo I guess things kind of suck. This is why I work in science and technology in a stable university environment in a science and technology-oriented city...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Actually four of my good friends got laid off from their jobs, soooo I guess things kind of suck. This is why I work in science and technology in a stable university environment in a science and technology-oriented city...
    Is that city in India?