User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    At present, what is your mood about what is going on in the country, economically, politically, etc.?
    Which country?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Which country?
    Doesn't matter, though I was focusing on the U.S.

As for what I think, my opinion has only been reinforced since this all began. Unemployment is going to keep shooting up (we'll get new unemployment numbers next week), this little relative jump in the markets may or may not turn into something of a bear rally, but they will crash down further than before. There's going to be a lot of civil unrest in countries around the world over the economic conditions (from protests to riots and violent crimes), with non-violent protests continuing to propagate in the US as well this year. China is going to stop buying our debt, the government is going to inflate the dollar out of existence, they're going to attempt to install a global currency, and we may see an inflationary depression. At that point a portion of the country at that point will be terribly pissed off and I can't say where that will go besides to say it'll get ugly. People will be livid over the inflationary forces of the dollar, as well as the inflation of energy prices from the implementation of these green policies, and sky the f*** high taxes down the road. Thinking about this puts me in a less than somber mood.

garbage

Eh, it's fine

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I think the markets are recovering nicely from the fact that people aren't as poor and as bad off as you think... we're still going to whatever jobs we have left, going to Uni/college, walmart, traveling, investing, etc... and the wheels never stopped turning entirely like they did during the depression. "The American economy tanked the squeeze" will be the headlines, and many historians will hail Greenspan as a prophet.

All hail Alan!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I'm trying to come to terms with it. It's bad, and it will get worse. I accept it, and I try to stand away from it. If they do anything unfair or crazy that I don't believe in, I'm going to be utterly pissed. As for now, I don't even care, it's their business, they've gotten themselves into it, in a sense.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Economy should pick up at the end of 09, or during 2010.
    Agreed, although Obama will have little-to-nothing to do with it. It's the cyclical nature of our economy.

We might have already seen the worst of it, though we could always dip down more.
    Agreed.

We have an intelligent and analytical president in the White House, which is a nice change.
    Doesn't really do much, unfortunately. History shows that intelligence has far less to do with presidential success than do policy and sheer luck. Look at Woodrow Wilson. Brilliant man, ogre as POTUS.

No more insane foreign policy.
    We shall see. They said that about Nixon, too.

Pro-science.
    Not really his job.

Net Neutrality.
    Sucks.

Alternative energy.
    Shouldn't be furthering it with tax dollars. Again, not really his job.

Things are alright.
    Not yet, they aren't.

Just think if McCain won...
    Things would be pretty much the same.

Though if you're a regular conspiracy theorist, this is your time to shine. Pick a paranoia, and have your fun. But you can only scream that the sky is falling for so long until people just think you're annoying.
    Or until the sky falls, like the Wall Street bears circa-2007.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I think the markets are recovering nicely from the fact that people aren't as poor and as bad off as you think... we're still going to whatever jobs we have left, going to Uni/college, walmart, traveling, investing, etc... and the wheels never stopped turning entirely like they did during the depression. "The American economy tanked the squeeze" will be the headlines, and many historians will hail Greenspan as a prophet.

All hail Alan!

If only the real world were this simple...

The depression took some years to gain momentum and really hit the averge person, though many from that time will tell you that it was bearable AS LONG AS YOU STILL HAD A JOB. A depression/recession is, in part, a manifestation of a capitalist cycle wherein price bubbles burst and there is a correction in real estate, stock market, or commodities, or a combo of them. Basically, the unsustainable aspects of the economy that have built up begin to drag it down, and a recession/depression is a systematic correction where natural economic forces drive out the excesses and bring prices to realistic levels. It doesn't really have anything to do with limited resources initially, but the correction sometimes has that effect because of deflation or inflation in the economy.

Right now, MANY rich people are losing wealth and job losses are hitting the poor and middle class. Many of my friends have been laid off in the past several months, and it is damn hard to find a good job around here. Many people are losing a great deal in their 401Ks right now as well, and retirement for many is in a great deal of trouble.

Ours will be worse than the depression because we really don't have strong fundamentals in the economy besides strong deficit spending, a strong lack of production, and a strong borrowing ability which is about to get crushed as the slowed economy means Americans cant spend, meaning countries have NO incentive to lend to us. The entire basis behind the economy and the structure of our currency since the 70's when Nixon took us completely off of any gold standard was that America would become a consumer nation, and borrow money from other countries in exchange for our promise to always buy their goods and become their number 1 customers. The world's reserve currency (the USD) will be dropped in favor of a new one, and we will have the hyper inflation of our currency, aided by China selling off its holdings of US dollars and treasuries. This will bring our economy to its knees.

This will bring our economy to its knees.
    What a faint hearted imperialist you are!

Your economic empire stretches across the entire world and into every nook and cranny.

As I write our Prime Minister is putting in a good word for you with the Chinese politbureau. And that good word he is putting in for you is in fluent Mandarin.

And indeed our Prime Minister has just been received in your country with the highest honours as befits not only a friend but a friend in need.

And a friend in need, they say, is a friend indeed. And a friend with news of the Chinese trillions.

And as the Chinese say, quoting you back to yourself, just as they are lending your own money back to you, "The only thing to fear is fear itself".

So enough already with the doom and gloom - off with the self-fulfilling prophecies!

MBTI
    INFP

Eh, forget it. I'm moving somewhere warm and starting a self-sustainable hippie commune, complete with an underground bomb shelter and several years worth of stockpiled food and supplies.

Oh, and guns. Lots and lots of guns.

I know some kernels are very stubborn and impotent...
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke