User Tag List

12 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Default U.S. Stocks Rally, Extend S&P 500s Best Monthly Gain Since 91

Just a lil good economic news...

U.S. Stocks Rally, Extend S&P 500s Best Monthly Gain Since 91

March 25 (Bloomberg) -- U.S. stocks rose, extending the best monthly rally in 17 years for the Standard & Poors 500 Index, as unexpected growth in durable-goods orders and new-home sales boosted optimism that the economy is stabilizing.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average reversed a 110-point drop in the final hour of trading as investors overcame concern about a disappointing auction of Treasuries notes. JPMorgan Chase & Co., Bank of America Corp. and Alcoa Inc. led the advance after the government reported a 3.4 percent increase in demand for longer lasting products such as refrigerators, airplanes and computer chips and a 4.7 percent gain in new-home purchases.

The S&P 500 added 1 percent to 813.88 and has jumped almost 11 percent in March for its best gain since 1991. The Dow gained 89.84 points, or 1.2 percent, to 7,749.81. The Nasdaq Composite Index increased 0.8 percent to 1,528.95. Almost three stocks rose for each that fell on the New York Stock Exchange.

This could be the beginning of an improvement, said Charles Smith, who manages $700 million in Pittsburgh including the Fort Pitt Capital Total Return Fund, which beat 78 percent of its peers last year. The market is essentially saying, Now we have an idea that weve already seen the worst rate of change in GDP.
    U.S. Stocks Rally, Extend S&P 500s Best Monthly Gain Since 91 - Bloomberg.com

And some more:
    U.S. mortgage applications jump; rates at record low
    February New Home Sales Rise Unexpectedly
    Durable Goods Orders Rise Unexpectedly In February

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

bleh i wish i had some cash to invest with atm

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

I'd invest in gridpoint or e/solar.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Lasting_Pain

Yea, that is great news, my Mom is heavily invested in the Stock Market.

I view stocks as a legal form of gambling. I stay away from it.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I foresee a lot of market volatility for the rest of 2009. I think we will see the beginning of a medium-term bull market in the first half of 2010. I hope Obama and Co. play things lightly over the next year or so, so we don't just put off more economic pain into the future.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Lasting_Pain

I think the Obama Administration is doing a wonderful job, and I am starting to see some of the effects of the stimulus package in my city.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I already told you guys to expect something of a bear market rally, then a larger crash down, according to my sources. Rest assured, this wont mean diddly squat to what's about to happen with the dollar. But yes, at least markets are on the up (relatively speaking) for a while...

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I'm probably going to put my tax return into the markets. Banks are dirt cheap but I'm still weary. CDs give no rates. I'm think retail will recover earliest as everyone gets their return checks, and sees signs of market recovery, should spur some consumer confidence.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I already told you guys to expect something of a bear market rally, then a larger crash down, according to my sources. Rest assured, this wont mean diddly squat to what's about to happen with the dollar. But yes, at least markets are on the up (relatively speaking) for a while...
    ...the last bubbles still need to pop for this all to be truly over:

the commercial property bubble, and the currency bubble.

there will be a short bull market over the next few years after the two ^ happen...then we will get hit with 15% interest rates to combat the printing money inflation and we wont really see any growth until 2020...my best guess.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I'm think retail will recover earliest as everyone gets their return checks, and sees signs of market recovery, should spur some consumer confidence.
    I think you are somewhat right here, but I also don't think it will be enough to turn things around. Alot of people are going to use their return checks to pay off bills.

Obama's stimulus is also likely to help out in the short term, but the potential long term effects are what worry me.

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    ...the last bubbles still need to pop for this all to be truly over:

the commercial property bubble, and the currency bubble.
    There's also some funny business going on in the world of student loans, where students are being swindled into horrible interest rates via deceitful practices. It's a bit of a bubble that may be in danger of popping if a flux of students can't pay back their loans.