MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default "Real ID" - Federal "Big Brother"

Federal ID plan raises privacy concerns - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Americans may need passports to board domestic flights or to picnic in a national park next year if they live in one of the states defying the federal Real ID Act.

The act, signed in 2005 as part of an emergency military spending and tsunami relief bill, aims to weave driver's licenses and state ID cards into a sort of national identification system by May 2008. The law sets baseline criteria for how driver's licenses will be issued and what information they must contain.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

That article makes me nervous. It feels like someone trying to control everyone. I'm glad so many states are currently refusing, but I don't know if they'll be able to hold out long after the deadline. It reminds me too much of those horror stories about a world government that can track everyone and everything. Is there anything that can be done to work against it?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    That article makes me nervous. It feels like someone trying to control everyone. I'm glad so many states are currently refusing, but I don't know if they'll be able to hold out long after the deadline. It reminds me too much of those horror stories about a world government that can track everyone and everything. Is there anything that can be done to work against it?
    People have been warning about this sort of thing for a very long time now and been called tin foil beenie for their efforts. Most people are more worried about being made fun of as a conspriacy theorist than worried about losing their rights. If that doesn't change, then no, there is not much that can be done about the issue.

They will package the control of people into something hip and trendy and people will line up for it like trained dogs and it is gonna be super sickening when they do.

MBTI
    INTJ

I like how it said that it wouldn't be mandatory for state's to do it. I imagine that is similar to how it isn't mandatory for a state to have the legal drinking age at 21. I see the logic in it, but it could be a step in the wrong direction. Overall, I would say that more details are needed for me to have a strong opinion one way or the other.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    They will package the control of people into something hip and trendy and people will line up for it like trained dogs and it is gonna be super sickening when they do.
    This sounds like a description for your average television advertisement. It's already happened. Now if you'll excuse me I have some hip and trendy products which I wish to consume.

My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com