User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    Not ironic - just a motif in history
    people in "power" take it away from those who he/she is reigning over
    color has nothing to do with it
    I think it would be ironic, given the shameful full circle in history it would represent.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    First of all, the fact that someone even SUGGESTED mandatory service seriously is fucking frightening.
    Damn straight.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Now, I am waiting to hear some more in depth analysis of this bill, but it indeed seems to be the implementation of rhetoric espoused by Obama on the campaign trail about creating huge mandatory community service programs and service corps to "rival the military".

House adopts plan for 'volunteer' corps
    H.R. 1388 is available here. The article you posted does make it look like the bill has a connection to Obama's proposal while he was on the campaign trail. What the bill does is increase funding for expanded volunteer programs along with funding for the Congressional Budget Office to do a "market analysis" for projects in the future. As far as I have read, there's no language that stipulates any mandatory service. With this bill freely available on the internet, I don't know why the article you posted made suggestive parallels between the bill and Obama's campaign speech when they could have uncovered a definitive answer.
    "For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

First of all, the fact that someone even SUGGESTED mandatory service seriously is fucking frightening.
    Yes, god forbid we should get off our asses and do something that doesn't directly and immediately benefit us.

How terrible.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by BallentineChen View Post
    H.R. 1388 is available here. The article you posted does make it look like the bill has a connection to Obama's proposal while he was on the campaign trail. What the bill does is increase funding for expanded volunteer programs along with funding for the Congressional Budget Office to do a "market analysis" for projects in the future. As far as I have read, there's no language that stipulates any mandatory service. With this bill freely available on the internet, I don't know why the article you posted made suggestive parallels between the bill and Obama's campaign speech when they could have uncovered a definitive answer.
    Thanks Dude. We're all speculating on the eventual evolvement of this bill. Givin that the govt didn't seem to do that (thoughtful speculation of future eventual evolvement) with previous bills. Reading your link, the bill is very vague. Thus leaving a massive opening for speculation. There enlays the justification for the thread. Probably used to be a time when bills were clear. Nowadays they're designed to leave alot of room for political "change".
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Yes, god forbid we should get off our asses and do something that doesn't directly and immediately benefit us.

How terrible.

If you honestly believe that forcing people to work against their will is something that is acceptable for the government to do, I would appreciate it if you left the United States immediately. The fact that you can vote in the same elections in which I vote pisses me off. Ever heard of the 13th Amendment?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Forced charity and forced good works are not equivalent to good works and charity by choice. The latter stems from the character of individuals, the underemphasis of which is and will be the death of this nation.

I'm going to try to read over the bill, though it usually references other sections such that you would have to be a law professor to be able to fully understand it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

If you honestly believe that forcing people to work against their will is something that is acceptable for the government to do, I would appreciate it if you left the United States immediately. The fact that you can vote in the same elections in which I vote pisses me off. Ever heard of the 13th Amendment?
    Agreed. Those who don't value freedom don't deserve it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Waa waa. Stop crying.

I think it's acceptable for a government to do things in the best interests of the people, and to require them to do things that they may not want to do. Taxing people in order to create social programs is also a restriction on your liberty, but it's the price you pay for living here. I have no patience for people like you who have such an infantile view of liberty, only looking out for your own self-interest. Grow up already. Or leave. Whatever.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post

How terrible.
    You don't get off your ass because you don't volunteer to. Kinda like the kid who ended up as a payrole/encarcerated/probation statistic because he didn't volunteer to get off his ass by force.

Great rich white suburbanite congressional minds think alike.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?