User Tag List

First 715161718 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    Iím against compulsory community service, regardless of who is president. Which doesnít mean that I imagine Obama planning to use it as a front for Mao-ist brainwashing sessions.

A question for you right wingers who worry about this, who are males 18 or older. Did you register with Selective Service when you were 18? And if W had reinstated the draft for the Iraq invasion and prolonged occupation, or to get more boots on the ground to do the same thing in Iran, would have you have opposed it?

I registered, because you cannot get student loans without it, but I would not have reported for duty unless I felt our country was in imminent danger of attack. I am 100% against the military draft. Frankly, if a country is in danger of being overrun and it can't raise a volunteer militia to fight, it deserves to be overthrown.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTJ

Civic duty and loyalty should move from the bottom up, not imposed from the top down.
    This.

Also, to Merc (I think) - as a non-American I have to say that I hope the US remains the superpower, especially militarily, for a long time to come. We've got lots of lovely trees and resources to trade you!
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

The draft started with littler politically justified mandatory things to justify it. The draft is no longer politically viable for re-election purposses. Manditory community service is a little thing, when politically accepted (justified), justifies bigger things. Like a draft. Where does it end? As soon as you know it we'll be justifying bigger things, like a draft.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Aside from all the political reasons for or against, I think a draft might benefit the segment of the population that never became adults. Assuming the military could do that.
    "For a man who wants to make a profession of good in all regards must come to ruin among so many who are not good. Hence it is necessary to a prince, if he wants to maintain himself, to learn to be able not to be good, and to use this and not use it according to necessity."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    A question for you right wingers who worry about this, who are males 18 or older. Did you register with Selective Service when you were 18? And if W had reinstated the draft for the Iraq invasion and prolonged occupation, or to get more boots on the ground to do the same thing in Iran, would have you have opposed it?
    Yes, and yes. I also find it incredibly ironic that you accuse "right-wingers" of being paranoid while at the same time believing that the reinstatement of the draft was ever a realistic possibility. Out of curiosity, did you ever seriously entertain the idea (i.e. conspiracy theory) that Bush was going to institute a state of emergency before Obama's inauguration in order to hold onto power?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by BallentineChen View Post
    Aside from all the political reasons for or against, I think a draft might benefit the segment of the population that never became adults. Assuming the military could do that.
    At what point does one become an adult?

CRAP. Took the bait again.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Quit the childish bickering and just admit it: You're all going DOWN! And, no I don't mean that in the way some may interpret that. I mean the USA will decline, never to rise again to its previous state in the long term. The sooner you all come to terms with that fact, the happier we will all be.

The end.
    What on earth does the long-term decline in the relative power of the United States have to do with mandatory community service, political ideologies, or the rule of law?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by BallentineChen View Post
    This is just ludicrous.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    This is just ludicrous.
    I could be wrong, but i think he's making transparent the hipocracy of people that are for govt mandates. As in > the same people that are for mandates are the same people that spit on the others who fulfilled their mandate. People who served in viet nam for instance. Could be wrong. But if i'm right, dudes a genius.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Yes, and yes. I also find it incredibly ironic that you accuse "right-wingers" of being paranoid while at the same time believing that the reinstatement of the draft was ever a realistic possibility. Out of curiosity, did you ever seriously entertain the idea (i.e. conspiracy theory) that Bush was going to institute a state of emergency before Obama's inauguration in order to hold onto power?

I didnít accuse right-wingers per se of being paranoid, but (read my post again that you quoted) specifically the ones who worry about stuff like Obama trying to set up indoctrination camps, like heís the next Chairman Mao or something.

As for the draft, I remember reading that the machinary was set in motion for it, and there were a few slips made by Bush seeming to indicate that he would have liked to have called a draft. But at the end of the day, it was too much of a political risk, especially with the Iraq war growing more and more unpopular. Did I really think it would come to that? Probably not, but there was definitely a faction within the administration that wanted to invade Iran. Where would they have gotten the additional 200,000 plus troops needed for another invasion and protracted occupation, given that we were already spread thin in both Iraq and Afghanistan?

I never believed that Bush was going to institute a state-of-emergency to hold onto power. I thought that was ridiculous.
    i believe that i am in hell, therefore i am there.
    Ėarthur rimbaud