User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Sniffles

Let me guess, Hannah Arendt's Promise of Politics?

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    That verywell maybe happening. Whatever their attire, they're still focused on their service. And nobody should have a green light to give'em any crap either. Chances are they aren't rich snotnosed college kids. I believe that happens in Africa. However, thongs and trot alone do not servise any community. The person inside'em do.
    I can't disagree. Yeah, the snot nosed african kids go commando alot. Look at the state of Ethiopia/Eritrea/Djibouti, Chad/Sudan/CAR. It's bad. It's worse than bad. It's really bad.

And Youth is the answer. A Youth Corps - of America's finest!

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    I can't disagree. Yeah, the snot nosed african kids go commando alot. Look at the state of Ethiopia/Eritrea/Djibouti, Chad/Sudan/CAR. It's bad. It's worse than bad. It's really bad.

And Youth is the answer. A Youth Corps - of America's finest!
    That's all ya got? Reread please. African kids in thongs who service their community. Not rich american ass college kids goin comando with "trots and thongs" while on community servise.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    They see Obama as the next Joe Stalin.
    I hate Obama, but that's a real stretch of the imagination to compare him to Uncle Joe.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

I really don't think obama is reading congresses rewriten interpretation of obamas original idea. Case in point. Obama wanted checks and ballences for the stimulus. Look what happened after congress interpreted and wrote it. Problem with obama is he's in toobigahurry. No experience. But look at that other guy we all had to choose from.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    That's all ya got?
    Pretty much.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    We're in 2009, the Reagan era is far, far away. It's time to adapt to a new economical paradigm, and to be pragmatic rather than dogmatic.
    Pragmatic towards what exactly? In order to concentrate on pragmatic means, one has to first establish what exact ends one wants to achieve with those means. And the nature of ends is determined by ones values - which you claim doesn't concern you.

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"
    I stay firm to my principles(ie ends), but make rearrangements as to the exact means of implementing them. As the old military truism goes, no plan survives first contact with the enemy.

Anyways, as GK Chesterton once put it: "Understanding the facts is more important than knowing the facts."

And he also made the observation that historians often forget two things: 1) men act from ideas and 2) it's best to discover which ideas.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    What if W. had proposed this idea? What would you think of it then?
    Iím against compulsory community service, regardless of who is president. Which doesnít mean that I imagine Obama planning to use it as a front for Mao-ist brainwashing sessions.

A question for you right wingers who worry about this, who are males 18 or older. Did you register with Selective Service when you were 18? And if W had reinstated the draft for the Iraq invasion and prolonged occupation, or to get more boots on the ground to do the same thing in Iran, would have you have opposed it?
    i believe that i am in hell, therefore i am there.
    Ėarthur rimbaud

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    A question for you right wingers who worry about this, who are males 18 or older. Did you register with Selective Service when you were 18? And if W had reinstated the draft for the Iraq invasion and prolonged occupation, or to get more boots on the ground to do the same thing in Iran, would have you have opposed it?
    Yes actually I would. In fact I've been opposed to the Iraq war since day one. But then again I'm a "Romantic Reactionary", which is a far cry from a right-winger.

This is not to say I'm against military or community service. Far from it, I fully support it in accordance with the principles of Civic Republicanism. But I believe much of this service should be concentrated at the lowest levels of society, in order to better serve the actual needs of local communities; as oppossed to the national level, to serve some abstract ideological concept.

I like how Edmund Burke once put it:

"We begin our public affections in families. No cold relation is the zealous citizen. We pass on to our neighborhoods and our provincial connections. These are our inns and resting places. Such division of our country as have been formed by habit and not by sudden jerk of authority are so many little images of the great country in which the heart is found something it could fill. The love to the whole is not extinguished by this subordinate partiality...To love the little platoon we belong to in society is the first principle of public affections. It is the first link in the series by which we proceed towards a love to our country and to mankind."
    Civic duty and loyalty should move from the bottom up, not imposed from the top down.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Please consider taking action at the site below----contacting your senators about your doubts about this piece of legislation. The Constitutionality of it is very questionable. The wording is very nebulous and clears the way for a lot of our civil rights to be taken away. This also could be the first step in reinstating the draft.

URGENT: STOP the G.I.V.E. ACT from TAKING AWAY OUR RIGHTS

THE SENATE NEEDS TO HEAR FROM ALL OF US NOW! The House passed this!

All are welcome to send this letter as is- or revise to suit. Link below will provide free FAX access plus all contact info for all US Senators after you sign the Petition.

For more information and to sign NO G.I.V.E Petition, go to: SCROLL DOWN TO GET TO THE PETITION!

Take a Stand
    I N V I C T U S