User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default The new back-alley abortion: taking meds meant for farm animals

Apparently, some girls in rural areas have been inducing abortions by drinking a medicine given via injection to farm animals to cause them to abort. Disclaimer: I haven't seen this in any unbiased sources yet, not that such a thing actually exists, but some are more biased than others and worldnetdaily is one such source.

Teens' abortion technique: Drink poisonous mixture

Quoting Celebrate Life editor Stephanie Hopping, Brown noted veterinary medication abortions "illustrate that decriminalized abortion does not stop highly dangerous abortion methods like this. In fact, it probably encourages the use of them mightily, because this is hardly different from an RU-486 abortion, except that it isn't done under medical supervision."
    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

And soon there will be baby mountain lions giving abortions as well .

Abortion is becoming so normalized in the culture and society that we can't expect the youth to make any sort of wise decisions about it. If its ok for everyone else to do it, then why shouldn't they? Might kill yourself with animal abortion chemicals? Shhhhh, don't tell them that! These kids are just doing their patriotic duty, helping mother Gaia, and making their own lives happier (til the weight of what they did hits them). You can't take that away from them. I say we need free abortions for everyone.

Really, what else do you want me to say?

MBTI
    INxJ

Get those kids birth control. Teach them about safe sex, and the danger of STDs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Get those kids birth control. Teach them about safe sex, and the danger of STDs.
    YES. That's pretty much the size of it. Prevent the pregnancies in the first place, and abortion will be irrelevant.

Risen, I don't think we can expect the youth to make any wise decisions about abortion when in many places all they are told is "don't have sex until you are married." That's all I was told by my fundamentalist parents and it was very confusing to be feeling sexual feelings and not receive ANY information about them. Fortunately, I received a comprehensive sex-ed program at the Quaker school I went to from 6th-9th grade. It made it easier to understand what was happening and anticipate getting super-horny with a boy and have a plan for how to either avoid having sex, or avoid getting pregnant or an STD if we decided to go for it.

Knowledge is power!

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

So wait, what's the logic for legal abortions actually increasing the chances of girls taking a dangerous route for aborting a baby? The difference in safety between a professional abortion clinic and taking meds meant for cows and such is hardly a small one, even to a less prudent person.

And yes, TOTALLY agreed about the need for sex education that isn't abstinence only.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mempy View Post

So wait, what's the logic for legal abortions actually increasing the chances of girls taking a dangerous route for aborting a baby? The difference in safety between a professional abortion clinic and taking meds meant for cows and such is hardly a small one.
    Yeah. It seems to me this is more likely to be the option of the desperate. Kind of like the coathanger abortions of yore. *shudder* It doesn't have to be totally illegal to lead to this, either. If they have to get their parents' permission, they're going to go underground. This is not new.

Oh, MAN. *shudder* Coathangers? Jeez.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, about needing parents' permission driving girls to get it done secretly, i.e. dangerously.
    For you, and I, wooo

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The other thing that is sad to me about these situations is that if some of these girls felt like they could face their families without getting disowned or worse, let alone get some emotional/logistical support, they might choose to have the baby rather than abort it. But since they feel they must keep it secret, they see abortion as their only option. I am not pro-abortion; if it were up to me I would prefer unwanted pregnancies be prevented rather than terminated, and accidental ones embraced if at all possible. It's not up to me and I don't think it should be. But we could do a lot to encourage that. Instead we focus on whether mothers should be allowed to have abortions or not, which to me seems like a tremendous missing of the point.

Meh. I don't want to have an abortion debate, which probably means I shouldn't have posted this. I can argue both sides against the middle. Just because of practicalities (i.e. making it illegal is not going to stop it from happening) I come down semi-firmly on the "keep it safe and legal, but work hard on the other end to make it very rare" side.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    The other thing that is sad to me about these situations is that if some of these girls felt like they could face their families without getting disowned or worse, let alone get some emotional/logistical support, they might choose to have the baby rather than abort it. But since they feel they must keep it secret, they see abortion as their only option. I am not pro-abortion; if it were up to me I would prefer unwanted pregnancies be prevented rather than terminated, and accidental ones embraced if at all possible. It's not up to me and I don't think it should be. But we could do a lot to encourage that. Instead we focus on whether mothers should be allowed to have abortions or not, which to me seems like a tremendous missing of the point.
    I think that's totally true, Ives. I've said before that if I ever accidentally got pregnant, as unlikely as that is, I think I'd have greater likelihood of keeping it simply because my family would probably be so supportive. I totally agree.

Meh. I don't want to have an abortion debate, which probably means I shouldn't have posted this. I can argue both sides against the middle. Just because of practicalities (i.e. making it illegal is not going to stop it from happening) I come down semi-firmly on the "keep it safe and legal, but work hard on the other end to make it very rare" side.
    I agree with this, too. My sophomore English teacher said something that I think kind of applies here. She said a friend of hers once said, "If you can't change the law, change the people," and I think that may have even been said in reference to abortion--or maybe sex ed. Or maybe not. I can't remember.

So in other words, if you want people to start behaving differently and can't get the law changed to enforce it, or don't want to, start the movement for change on the ground level, with the people. Change their perspectives.
    For you, and I, wooo

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    YES. That's pretty much the size of it. Prevent the pregnancies in the first place, and abortion will be irrelevant.

Risen, I don't think we can expect the youth to make any wise decisions about abortion when in many places all they are told is "don't have sex until you are married." That's all I was told by my fundamentalist parents and it was very confusing to be feeling sexual feelings and not receive ANY information about them. Fortunately, I received a comprehensive sex-ed program at the Quaker school I went to from 6th-9th grade. It made it easier to understand what was happening and anticipate getting super-horny with a boy and have a plan for how to either avoid having sex, or avoid getting pregnant or an STD if we decided to go for it.

Knowledge is power!
    I'm not saying this to offend, but if you went to a Quaker school then your environment did not represent the general population. Most large cities and metropolitan areas tend to be liberal leaning in culture and education (at the public school level, where most kids go). In that situation, kids are taught PLENTY about sex. The culture teaches PLENTY about sex. Sex is VERY open for the current generation of kids. I am of the millennial gen, raised in multiple states, so I know. When it comes to sex ed, the most liberal state I've been in, CA, was BIG on the sex. The whole idea that we rely on school to learn about sex is stupid anyway in the open culture that exists in such areas. We learned about most of sex from our peers, our own sexual experiences, and from the media. Parents gave basic talks, school gave too much info about condoms and such. But at that point it was stuff we already knew. Sex ed to the point where my teacher is telling me what a nut tastes like and the teacher down the hall is potentially displaying first hand how to put on a condom (with a live subject, though this was just a rumor) is too much.

My logic dictates that the more we sexualized the culture becomes, the more bad choices (such as aborting your child with farm chemicals) kids will be open to from its influence, and from the lack of parental guidance so prevalent nowadays. A society with no direction for its youth and no solid foundation of morals and virtues leads to an ever more confused generation of children prone to making bad and extreme choices.

On the other hand I might argue that statistically the amount of stupid crap kids get into perhaps hasn't changed much since the beginning of the nation. It may only appear worse because it is reported more, and from the various biases exemplified in this topic already (myself included). Still, I think it's beyond question that young kids have way more sex than previous generations of kids did. Where is it leading us? Only time can tell really.