User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Right. The question is if it's happening more than it used to.
    There's also far more people alive today. Thus, more opportunities for it to occur.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Yeah. It seems to me this is more likely to be the option of the desperate. Kind of like the coathanger abortions of yore. *shudder*.
    That's mostly a myth; in the years immediately preceeding Roe v. Wade, about 85% of illegal abortions were performed by trained physicians, the number of such abortions had averaged about 100,000 annually for several years (probably closer to around 200,000 in the late sixties), leading to slightly over a hundred annual deaths-all of which is nowhere near the supposed numbers and (especially) the lethality that people generally have in mind when discussing "coathanger abortions."

Concerning sex education, I'm torn between the knowledge that its a good idea, and a respect for the right of parents to control what information their children recieve. In the end, I guess I'm for extensive default sex education, with the option for parents opting their children out of it. According to recent headlines, young adults are seem to be in need of sex ed now, and that's something i definately support. hafta go, i'm trying to type while shielding the eyes of my niece who just walked up into my lap...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post

What's wrong with showing how to put on a condom?
    Because its a slippery slope, and it follows that pretty soon theyll be passing em out to 1st graders.

Seriously, in Europe, where they are less hung up about sex education and sex in general, there are lower teen pregnancy rates than in the US. And in the US Im pretty sure that most of the states with highest teen preganancy rates are in the South. What does that tell you? But none of this will compute to people who are convinced that sex is the root of all evil.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    That's mostly a myth; in the years immediately preceeding Roe v. Wade, about 85% of illegal abortions were performed by trained physicians, the number of such abortions had averaged about 100,000 annually for several years (probably closer to around 200,000 in the late sixties), leading to slightly over a hundred annual deaths-all of which is nowhere near the supposed numbers and (especially) the lethality that people generally have in mind when discussing "coathanger abortions."
    Assuming your figure is correct (in other words that it came from somewhere other than the Rush Limbaugh show) is it not enough?
    i believe that i am in hell, therefore i am there.
    arthur rimbaud

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    Assuming your figure is correct (in other words that it came from somewhere other than the Rush Limbaugh show) is it not enough?
    I don't listen to the Rush Limbaugh show. My figures are an agglomeration from several sources, here are a couple:

From a former president of Planned Parenthood;
    Illegal Abortion as a Public Health Problem

From a co-founder of N.A.R.A.L., who later became an anti-abortion activist;
    Confession Of An Ex-Abortionist By Dr. Bernard Nathanson, M.D., Obstetrician and Gynecologist (ObGyn), a clinical associate professor of obstetrics and gynecology, testing member American Bioethics Advisory Commission. Abortion providers, doctors and