User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    So you're saying that we should defend our laws.. so you're agreeing with me? I'm confused by your logic at this point.
    Defend the principles, not the law.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Defend the principles, not the law.
    Idealistic.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Idealistic.
    It's not idealistic, it's how you make sounds laws and keep a stable society. The country was founded on principles, and there's no reason why human beings can't run the country that way again, unless you're trying to say we're less evolved and more primal than we were some 200 years ago.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    It's not idealistic, it's how you make sounds laws and keep a stable society. The country was founded on principles, and there's no reason why human beings can't run the country that way again, unless you're trying to say we're less evolved and more primal than we were some 200 years ago.
    I'm not saying that drafting (or revising) laws to principles is idealistic.

I'm saying that ignoring or overturning laws on a case-by-case basis in order to uphold the principles they are based on is idealistic. If humans were perfectly moral this would work fine, but they're not, so when laws become optional you have the start of a very slippery slope.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I'm not saying that drafting (or revising) laws to principles is idealistic.

I'm saying that ignoring or overturning laws on a case-by-case basis in order to uphold the principles they are based on is idealistic. If humans were perfectly moral this would work fine, but they're not, so when laws become optional you have the start of a very slippery slope.
    Exactly. Laws need to be set in stone (unless changed through legal process) or things are essentially lawless. It'd be like playing chess and randomly changing the rules on a whim because you don't like the way the game is going. You can't do that unless you really do want government to be run like a chess game played by 5 year olds.

MBTI
    INTj

Exactly. Laws need to be set in stone (unless changed through legal process) or things are essentially lawless.
    The system is already broken. It is pointless to continue the charade. It needs a major overhaul.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    The system is already broken. It is pointless to continue the charade. It needs a major overhaul.
    Unfortunately, reality and the proper logic that follows it dictates that you can't generally solve a problem by repeating what caused the problem in the first place, so you would be wrong. And specifically what "system" are you referring to that needs an overhaul?
    Last edited by Risen; 03-31-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Here's a good interview with Connecticut Attorney General, Blumenthal, about AIG and Chris Dodd who took money from AIG.

[youtube="OxVi1EzUmMI"]Blumenthal 1 [/youtube]
    [youtube="ksVitzMsLYA"]Blumenthal 2 [/youtube]

MBTI
    INTj

it dictates that you can't generally solve a problem by repeating what caused the problem in the first place,?
    Exactly. That's why we do not allow these executives to continue their evil ways. Theses guys rewarded each other for acting in their personal best interest instead of the interest of the company under their guardianship.

We can't continue to let coyotes run the henhouse.

MBTI
    INTj

Here's a good interview with Connecticut Attorney General, Blumenthal, about AIG and Chris Dodd who took money from AIG.
    The validity of an argument does not depend on the loudness of its delivery nor the volume of spit that gets spewed.

Becker is arguing for law over ethics. As the queen bee says, "we are not amused".