User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I'm not really outraged about them taking the $165 million. In this economy, that's still peanuts. But I'm more concerned about them being able to completely wrap their tentacles around so many other companies that they are "indispensible" to our world.

Seriously, how can any one corporation be THAT important? My stepfather's ATV and Logging businesses are tanking, and could be saved with a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the bailout, but he's not asking for it; the failure is partially his fault for starting a business in the middle of a recession, and partially the fault of steep gas prices. He realizes this.

AIG doesn't. They're still not taking responsibility for their actions, and neither are any of the other people who spend all of their time artificially making money off of the labor and time of others. I'm strongly for letting them fall flat on their faces. The rest of the world will go on, and hopefully these assholes would learn a lesson.
    "Can you set me free from this dark inner world? Save me now, last beats in the soul.."

Fonewearl and proud of it!

I (85%) - N (80%) - F (35%) - P (90%)
    O: 94% C: 18% E: 21% A: 94% N: 38%
    9w1 (SP, SX, SO)
    (9, 5, 4)
    RCUAI (Primary Calm)

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    To protect ourselves through the rule of law, thereby limiting government capacity to abuse their power.
    Selective enactment and enforcement of the law is what allowed a privileged group of parasites to steal with impunity. We are setting no new precedent here.

Greater harm would result if we allow these crooks to blatantly hide behind the letter of the law.

MBTI
    INTx

I understand that people are upset about tax money funding what they view as bonuses for incompetent management.

However, I dislike the notion of heated emotional rhetoric overriding legal sense. AIG has contractual obligations and should meet them. Applying laws retroactively is an abuse of power and sets poor precedent.

Quite the dilemma. Normally a company would just become insolvent and its assets divvied. But...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

CzeCze, that was most awesome. Very well said. Ah! FREEDOM!

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    AIG has contractual obligations and should meet them. Applying laws retroactively is an abuse of power and sets poor precedent.
    They decimated the company for personal gain. It's a fundamental breach of their contractual obligations. That nullifies the agreement. Only through smoke and mirrors can they be made to look like victims.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    People are outraged because they feel duped And most people are not so daft that they are going to blindly give all this money over and assume that whatever way is spent is the "best" use of that money.
    They should feel duped, by the elected officials who are pretending they aren't responsible for the very thing they're getting upset over.
    I don't wanna!

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    They should feel duped, by the elected officials who are pretending they aren't responsible for the very thing they're getting upset over.
    I'm not going to say that the government doesn't have a part to play in this mess, but I'm tired of arguments that let corporations off the hook because the government didn't cover all its bases. They cast these jackals as children who aren't responsible for their own actions when they engage in every bit of chicanery that lawmakers fail to predict, simply because it's given that that's what they do. They're not children, and they should be more accountable than that. If not to us, then to their own companies.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    They wont feel duped because they're a bunch of sheep. This whole circus is a giant distraction.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I'm not going to say that the government doesn't have a part to play in this mess, but I'm tired of arguments that let corporations off the hook because the government didn't cover all its bases. They cast these jackals as children who aren't responsible for their own actions when they engage in every bit of chicanery that lawmakers fail to predict, simply because it's given that that's what they do. They're not children, and they should be more accountable than that. If not to us, then to their own companies.
    Greenspan himself basically said he over-estimated the reliability and accountability of businesses.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Greenspan himself basically said he over-estimated the reliability and accountability of businesses.
    Too bad he didn't concede to the fact that the very creation of the FED was WRONG.