First 12

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I can imagine that most people will simply hate these people just because they dare to bring to the case to court to begin with, regardless of whether or not there ends up being any validity to their claims or not.

People's knee jerk reaction will be that cases like this will hurt organ donation and therefore should not be allowed. Should certain topics be beyond questioning? Is this valid reasoning? I am curious to hear people's responses.

Let me throw something out there. YES! It is totally possible the hospital killed the teen for his organs. Organs are in HIGH deman and SHORT supply.

Let's push the envelope even further. Let's say in the next 50 years, at birth, all humans have a DNA sample taken that is typed and stored in a Federal database, assigned a SSN (of course, for tax purposes).

Then let's say an organ transplant database has an index for (1) who (maybe a powerful politician's or elite businessman's wife/daughter/etc.) needs an organ, (2) what type of organ, and (3) what type DNA would be a good match for them.

All of a sudden a teen from Anytown, USA ends up in the ER. He's close to death, but a quick test of his DNA indicates his lungs/liver/heart are a damn good match for Senator Pelosi's sick tennis instructor at the country club. Do ya' think there's any chance his death could be fudged and another such "early harvesting" begins?

I am not an organ donor as I have no faith in the overall treachery of things. Call it a conspiracy theory if you like, but money and power rule this world. That's why Magic Johnson is still alive with HIV/AIDS, and tens of thousands of other folks who can't afford protease inhibitors and other $$$ of HIV/AIDS Rx Cocktails to satay alive die each year. I wonder what the 5 year survivor rate for cancer patients whose mean household income is greater than $250,000...or $1,000,000...compared to someone in the USA of average, working class income.

I feel so sorry for this kid's family...

Thoughts???

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

No one has mentioned stem cell research yet? Weird. Instead of harvesting organs and bringing in ethical complications when details are conflicting, let's just let our brilliant scientists grow some. Genetic information can be manipulated. Yes, it still needs time and testing, however it has seemingly endless potential.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I've never done the organ donor thing with my driver's license. I want hospitals to look at me as a patient, rather than a resource.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by TwinkleToes View Post
    No one has mentioned stem cell research yet? Weird. Instead of harvesting organs and bringing in ethical complications when details are conflicting, let's just let our brilliant scientists grow some. Genetic information can be manipulated. Yes, it still needs time and testing, however it has seemingly endless potential.
    We are still many years away from this, and that's if the government decides it wants to fund it despite all the whiners.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    We are still many years away from this, and that's if the government decides it wants to fund it despite all the whiners.
    Despite bureaucratic whining, there is NO NEED to grow stem cells in vitro. Each and every day thousands of children are born, and the embryonic stem cells in their umbilical cord blood are thrown away as medical waste. Privately, you can opt to order a kit, the midwife/nurse clamps the placenta after a baby is born, and simply extracts the blood (and embryonic stem cells contained within) into a large bag with some preservative solutions in it. The bag is FedEx'd to a facility that centrifuges the sample down, isolates the stem cells, and cryogenically preserves them. They are viable for about 20 years. I did this for both my daughters. God forbid, in the event either of them get sick when they get older, we have their embryonic stem cells in the hopes future medicine can utilize them to formulate a cure.

It costs $1,000 for the kit, and about $125 per year for the cryogenic storage fee. I think the company is "New England Cord Blood Bank" New England Cord Blood Bank - New England Cord Blood Bank

Only a few people opt to do this as it is new and expensive. Why can't the cord blood of kids (whose mothers that don't wish to/can't afford to preserve it for their own family's use) be donated to a public cryo facility for typing, preservation, research, or medical uses? Not a single stem cell from an abortion would be needed in a short amount of time if the sissies on Capitol Hill had brains and balls.