User Tag List

MBTI
    IsTP

Default Israel Lobby: Tail wagging the dog?

Last time I checked it was the U.S. supplying Israel with aid and weapons, yet they seem to be the ones with the pull in this relationship. Strange no?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/wa...html?th&emc=th

WASHINGTON When Dennis C. Blair, the director of national intelligence, announced that he would install Charles W. Freeman Jr. in a top intelligence post, the decision surprised some in the White House who worried that the selection could be controversial and an unnecessary distraction, according to administration officials.

Just how controversial the choice would be became clear on Tuesday, when Mr. Freeman, a former ambassador to Saudi Arabia under the first President Bush, angrily withdrew his name from consideration and charged that he had been the victim of a concerted campaign by what he called the Israel lobby.

Mr. Freeman had long been critical of Israel, with a bluntness that American officials rarely voice in public about a staunch American ally. In 2006, he warned that, left to its own devices, the Israeli establishment will make decisions that harm Israelis, threaten all associated with them and enrage those who are not.Ě

He did not soften his tone even on Wednesday, saying in an interview that Israel is driving itself toward a cliff, and it is irresponsible not to question Israeli policy and to decide what is best for the American people.Ě

The critics who led the effort to derail Mr. Freeman argued that such views reflected a bias that could not be tolerated in someone who, as chairman of the National Intelligence Council, would have overseen the production of what are supposed to be policy-neutral intelligence assessments destined for the president's desk.

Some of Mr. Freeman's defenders say his views on Israel are extreme only when seen through the lens of American political life, and they asked whether it was possible to question American support for Israel without being either muzzled or marginalized.
    Not much bothers me, but this does. I can't fathom why it is so taboo to utter the slightest word of criticism about Israel. After all, they don't shit roses... Or do they?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Last time I checked it was the U.S. supplying Israel with aid and weapons, yet they seem to be the ones with the pull in this relationship. Strange no?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/12/wa...html?th&emc=th

Not much bothers me, but this does. I can't fathom why it is so taboo to utter the slightest word of criticism about Israel. After all, they don't shit roses... Or do they?
    Meh, politics. I think it's not so much taboo for people to be critical of Israel as it is simply uncommon. Israel has a lot of power and influence here in the US, a long history of alliance, and are largely sided with by the public, so most politicians are not willing to make them an enemy. This guy just happens to be one of the few who is openly critical of them. Since he is not in an elected position, he is allowed more leeway, and can be more extreme in his beliefs.

I'm curious to know what was going through the Director's head. Someone like that surely would not have overlooked the beliefs of a candidate for this position, so he must have had a reason for nominating this guy.

Also, the article never explains exactly what the position would be -- only that it would be "essentially the governmentís top intelligence analyst."

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Meh, politics. I think it's not so much taboo for people to be critical of Israel as it is simply uncommon. Israel has a lot of power and influence here in the US, a long history of alliance, and are largely sided with by the public, so most politicians are not willing to make them an enemy. This guy just happens to be one of the few who is openly critical of them. Since he is not in an elected position, he is allowed more leeway, and can be more extreme in his beliefs.

I'm curious to know what was going through the Director's head. Someone like that surely would not have overlooked the beliefs of a candidate for this position, so he must have had a reason for nominating this guy.

Also, the article never explains exactly what the position would be -- only that it would be "essentially the governmentís top intelligence analyst."
    A) What's the likelihood of them becoming our enemies seeing as we are their only buffer between them and the rest of the world. Not to mention their main benefactors.

B) Why should we care if they did in fact become our enemies?

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    A) What's the likelihood of them becoming our enemies seeing as we are their only buffer between them and the rest of the world. Not to mention their main benefactors.

B) Why should we care if they did in fact become our enemies?
    I don't know the answer to either of those questions. If Israel - US relations ever turn sour in the future, I'll cross that creek when I get there. It's beyond me why we continue to arm them. My only guesses are:
    A) The Administration believes they are acting as a stabilizing force in the ME
    B) Someone shook someone's hand, and someone got paid some money

I think it's not so much that we are worried they will become our enemies, as it is that they are the most prominent force in the ME, and alliance with them is the best way to provide some control over the mindfuckshitstorm that is the ME.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I don't know the answer to either of those questions. If Israel - US relations ever turn sour in the future, I'll cross that creek when I get there. It's beyond me why we continue to arm them. My only guesses are:
    A) The Administration believes they are acting as a stabilizing force in the ME
    B) Someone shook someone's hand, and someone got paid some money
    Honest. Fair enough

I think it's not so much that we are worried they will become our enemies, as it is that they are the most prominent force in the ME, and alliance with them is the best way to provide some control over the mindfuckshitstorm that is the ME.
    Um they are if not THE cause, at the center of that mindfuckshitstorm...