Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Obama insults Britain big time

I'm just quoting this out of the Glenn Beck newsletter-

Glenn Beck - Current Events & Politics - Obama gift gaffe
    So much for repairing our image in the world - President Obama has already hacked off everyone in the United Kingdom by sending back a famous Winston Churchill bust that was given as a gift after 9-11. Then he made matters worse by insulting Prime Minister Brown in a gift exchange. Brown gave President Obama a pen holder carved from the timbers of H.M.S. Resolute, and a first edition of a 7 volume biography of Winston Churchill - but Obama gives Brown the equivalent of a pair of socks. The phony gifts of 25 DVDíS included Raging Bull, Casablanca, Psycho, The Graduate...Wasn't he trying to repair our image in the world? How could he be so stupid?
    *And if this bothers you, then just replace "Obama" for the name of any other president, if it makes you feel good.*

One of several foreign policy blunders made last week. Obama turned the gift exchange with our greatest ally and mother country, Britain, into an arbitrary and thoughtless gift exchange on our part, one that offended the prime minister and the Brittish media. It is customary and traditional for our presidents to give meaningful gifts in the exchange that have some symbolic/historical meaning. However, someone in Obama's team (or Obama himself) made a serious blunder and gave them 25 DVD's, which by the way, don't work in britain because they are of the wrong region (DVD's and video games have region codes that correspond to players from the same country, such that DVD's from one region cant be played on the player of another region). So, Obama gave them a bunch of useless junk (or maybe he was upholding the great significance of "Hollywood"...), almost mocking them. I'm not saying he did it intentionally, but either way it's just as bad.

On top of that, he told them to take back their Winston Churchill bust (stature thing) that was given to us as a gift for the 9-11 tragedy. Obama, for some reason, refused to keep the thing in the White House and shoved it back to them, though they insisted it was a good will gift for our loss on 9-11. I mean.... WTH? Then we have Clinton who gave Russia that button that was supposed to represent how the U.S. is resetting its economic system (a reset button) with the wrong word for "reset" written on the button. The guy from Russia actually had to correct her on stage in front of all the media for the blunder. It's flat out embarrassing. I just wonder who is supposed to be advising them on how they deal with foreign leaders and customs/traditions, because they're obviously sleeping on the job.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Wow, that is one gigantic non-story.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Meanwhile... there's some pretty serious shit goin on in the world.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

If that's all we've got to complain about, we're doing ok, I think.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't know, here in Britain it's made a fair few headlines. I don't think the 'historic' Anglo-American friendship is going to last much longer.
    There's actually been suggestions that Michelle Obama is a racist and blames the British for slavery. Even though William Wilberforce, a Briton, abolished it, and she is currently the first lady of a country with a lot of whites... Loads of her old theses are coming out of the woodwork. Clearly the evidence for this theory isn't compelling, but it's been in several national broadsheets here.
    Frankly, anyone who insults Gordon Brown on the basis that he is Gordon Brown deserves praise. Insulting the whole of Britain because of personal prejudices is, however, immature.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Wow, that is one gigantic non-story.
    Yea, on the surface it doesn't seem to be of DIRE importance, but how we deal with other countries is QUITE important. I'm sure presidents make mistakes all the time, but still, the British media is apparently barking about it, especially because the U.S. media isn't covering it and nobody is apologetic. There were other issues around the Prime minister's visit that rubbed everyone over there the wrong way. I wouldn't even bring it up if I myself wouldn't know that giving the Prime Minister of our greatest allied country 25 DVD's that they can't even use in a traditional gift exchange that has actual meaning between the two countries wouldn't be wise. Like... there is absolutely no thought in giving a DVD to a friend, let alone the Prime Minister. 25 of them doesn't make it any more significant. And really, the DVD issue is only scratching the surface in the greater topic of "Why did they do it, and why did they think it was the right thing to do?"

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Meanwhile... there's some pretty serious shit goin on in the world.
    I thought some of you were yelling about wanting a break from the "pretty serious shit", so I brought you a story about some less serious shit. Beggars can't be choosers .

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I thought some of you were yelling about wanting a break from the "pretty serious shit", so I brought you a story about some less serious shit. Beggars can't be choosers .
    We were?

This sounds like unserious shit that you're trying to pass off as serious. Like every single post in this subforum you make.

I'd like to see you get more serious.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yea, on the surface it doesn't seem to be of DIRE importance, but how we deal with other countries is QUITE important. I'm sure presidents make mistakes all the time, but still, the British media is apparently barking about it, especially because the U.S. media isn't covering it and nobody is apologetic. There were other issues around the Prime minister's visit that rubbed everyone over there the wrong way. I wouldn't even bring it up if I myself wouldn't know that giving the Prime Minister of our greatest allied country 25 DVD's that they can't even use in a traditional gift exchange that has actual meaning between the two countries wouldn't be wise. Like... there is absolutely no thought in giving a DVD to a friend, let alone the Prime Minister. 25 of them doesn't make it any more significant. And really, the DVD issue is only scratching the surface in the greater topic of "Why did they do it, and why did they think it was the right thing to do?"

Well it's just an immature gift, not really appropriate for exchange between two statesmen in a formal context. Plus people are inevitably searching for hidden meanings, like the Americans thinking they're superior to us because this gift indicates that they don't even think British people have seen the films that were chosen (all classics that everyone's seen a million times).
    It's just an imbalance of power being shown by gifts (a classic tool of diplomacy for centuries), because the Browns spent so long choosing their gifts in order to impress someone they think is important, but Obama undoubtedly didn't even choose his gifts for the Browns, with the connotations that he thinks Gordon Brown and by association, Britain, is insignificant.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I don't know, here in Britain it's made a fair few headlines. I don't think the 'historic' Anglo-American friendship is going to last much longer.
    There's actually been suggestions that Michelle Obama is a racist and blames the British for slavery. Even though William Wilberforce, a Briton, abolished it, and she is currently the first lady of a country with a lot of whites... Loads of her old theses are coming out of the woodwork. Clearly the evidence for this theory isn't compelling, but it's been in several national broadsheets here.
    Frankly, anyone who insults Gordon Brown on the basis that he is Gordon Brown deserves praise. Insulting the whole of Britain because of personal prejudices is, however, immature.
    Well, I have no clue what the thinking behind it all was. I have enough sense to realize it was fairly insulting, and I am personally embarrassed by it considering it was my president who did it :/ . And really, I don't think the Michelle Obama stuff is true, though i heard the media over there was trying to make that point.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    We were?

This sounds like unserious shit that you're trying to pass off as serious. Like every single post in this subforum you make.

I'd like to see you get more serious.
    I'd like to see you STFU up for once. God that would be one hell of a miracle.

MBTI
    INTP

I'd like to see you STFU up for once. God that would be one hell of a miracle.
    You're the one who posts essay after essay of crap in this subforum. I'd read you more if you were more concise.