User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 113

  1. #71
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    And you know what political conservatism and political liberalism mean. I can't help but feel that this is your disingenuousness at work again.
    Don't we have to specify economics vs. social issues here? Lots of different implications.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  2. #72
    I'm a star. Kangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    C'mon, we know what pure-merc is getting at, though, right? That people on both sides of the political spectrum can be rigid and intolerant. It's true, too. Lefties are just as likely to do it as righties.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

    "please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

  3. #73
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Personally, I think the 'red button' case was even worse. The presidential gift lacked taste. The gesture of the Secretary of State, even in the best case, is laughable...Presenting a button that looks like a nuclear detonator that says 'reset'. Not having one competent individual who can translate a simple Russian word that can be seen on every desktop computer set to Russian? WTF? And then translating it to overcharge? What was this supposed to be - a subtle warning? "Overcharge us and you're f-ed" or what?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  4. #74
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Don't we have to specify economics vs. social issues here? Lots of different implications.
    And after that, you have to specify whether you're talking about American or international definitions (in the latter case "conservative" is purely situational and therefore doesn't mean much of anything)...

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    479

    Default

    Wow, now I know why I never open up the political forums. It's only this section that can ruin any of my days.

    I hope someday there is a civil war.

  6. #76
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tenINsFJ View Post
    Wow, now I know why I never open up the political forums. It's only this section that can ruin any of my days.

    I hope someday there is a civil war.
    Me too.

  7. #77
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Personally, I think the 'red button' case was even worse. The presidential gift lacked taste. The gesture of the Secretary of State, even in the best case, is laughable...Presenting a button that looks like a nuclear detonator that says 'reset'. Not having one competent individual who can translate a simple Russian word that can be seen on every desktop computer set to Russian? WTF? And then translating it to overcharge? What was this supposed to be - a subtle warning? "Overcharge us and you're f-ed" or what?

    Yeah, that was completely inexplicable. Besides the (I would have hoped) obvious tastelessness of a red button given to Russians, it really makes no sense. If there were some sort of magic reset button, shouldn't we have just pushed it ourselves? I do not understand it.

    P.S. And I immediately think "cocaine" when I think "reset button."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #78
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    C'mon, we know what pure-merc is getting at, though, right? That people on both sides of the political spectrum can be rigid and intolerant. It's true, too. Lefties are just as likely to do it as righties.
    Yes, this is correct. Just look at many of the aspects of Greenism---but it can't help make Dennis Miller funny!

  9. #79
    I'm a star. Kangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    Just look at many of the aspects of Greenism
    Hardcore Greens make steam come out of my ears. And then I cry.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

    "please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

  10. #80
    Senior Member reason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    1,211

    Default

    I actually envy Obama. It is an ambition of mine to offend Gordon Brown someday.

    I hope that nobody here would confuse Gordon Brown for Great Britain, would they? No, nobody here would do that, because leaders should not be identified with their nations. Remeber Louis XIV, King of France, or 'The Sun King'? Charming man, a politician's politician. He believed in the Divine Right of Kings, dismantled feudalism and centralised power in himself. Crafty, manipulative, and hungry for power, he once declared 'I am the state'.

    It is the duty of free peoples everywhere to ridicule their leaders, and in no sense would they be insulting themselves.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Similar Threads

  1. Big Apple Pizza Gets Negative Yelp Reviews After Owner Bear-Hugs Obama
    By Rail Tracer in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
  2. [INFJ] do infjs have a hard time making big decisions?
    By grendiecat in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 06:47 PM
  3. Timing is everything?
    By Littlelostnf in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 03:01 AM
  4. The FCC and Big Media - time is running out!
    By anii in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 01:55 AM
  5. It's about damn time!
    By Rajah in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 03:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO