First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    And you know what political conservatism and political liberalism mean. I can't help but feel that this is your disingenuousness at work again.
    Don't we have to specify economics vs. social issues here? Lots of different implications.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTJ

C'mon, we know what pure-merc is getting at, though, right? That people on both sides of the political spectrum can be rigid and intolerant. It's true, too. Lefties are just as likely to do it as righties.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Personally, I think the 'red button' case was even worse. The presidential gift lacked taste. The gesture of the Secretary of State, even in the best case, is laughable...Presenting a button that looks like a nuclear detonator that says 'reset'. Not having one competent individual who can translate a simple Russian word that can be seen on every desktop computer set to Russian? WTF? And then translating it to overcharge? What was this supposed to be - a subtle warning? "Overcharge us and you're f-ed" or what?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Don't we have to specify economics vs. social issues here? Lots of different implications.
    And after that, you have to specify whether you're talking about American or international definitions (in the latter case "conservative" is purely situational and therefore doesn't mean much of anything)...

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Wow, now I know why I never open up the political forums. It's only this section that can ruin any of my days.

I hope someday there is a civil war.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by tenINsFJ View Post
    Wow, now I know why I never open up the political forums. It's only this section that can ruin any of my days.

I hope someday there is a civil war.
    Me too.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Personally, I think the 'red button' case was even worse. The presidential gift lacked taste. The gesture of the Secretary of State, even in the best case, is laughable...Presenting a button that looks like a nuclear detonator that says 'reset'. Not having one competent individual who can translate a simple Russian word that can be seen on every desktop computer set to Russian? WTF? And then translating it to overcharge? What was this supposed to be - a subtle warning? "Overcharge us and you're f-ed" or what?

Yeah, that was completely inexplicable. Besides the (I would have hoped) obvious tastelessness of a red button given to Russians, it really makes no sense. If there were some sort of magic reset button, shouldn't we have just pushed it ourselves? I do not understand it.

P.S. And I immediately think "cocaine" when I think "reset button."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    C'mon, we know what pure-merc is getting at, though, right? That people on both sides of the political spectrum can be rigid and intolerant. It's true, too. Lefties are just as likely to do it as righties.
    Yes, this is correct. Just look at many of the aspects of Greenism---but it can't help make Dennis Miller funny!

MBTI
    ENTJ

Just look at many of the aspects of Greenism
    Hardcore Greens make steam come out of my ears. And then I cry.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ESFJ

I actually envy Obama. It is an ambition of mine to offend Gordon Brown someday.

I hope that nobody here would confuse Gordon Brown for Great Britain, would they? No, nobody here would do that, because leaders should not be identified with their nations. Remeber Louis XIV, King of France, or 'The Sun King'? Charming man, a politician's politician. He believed in the Divine Right of Kings, dismantled feudalism and centralised power in himself. Crafty, manipulative, and hungry for power, he once declared 'I am the state'.

It is the duty of free peoples everywhere to ridicule their leaders, and in no sense would they be insulting themselves.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.