User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 113

  1. #41
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    We're embarrassingly fond of slapstick, but we sure love our self-deprecating Jews here.
    From your point of view, our sense of humour is not just self-deprecatory, it is baldly deprecatory and ironic.

    I can remember a Yankee guru addressing us. At first she told us what a wonderful sense of humour we had, but finally she lost her patience and told us our sense of humour destroyed self-esteem. And so our sense of humour was destructive.

    But of course to us our sense of humour is funny - it makes us laugh - but it just makes you feel uncomfortable.

    And of course you can never admit this because it would be a blow to your self-esteem.

  2. #42
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    From your point of view, our sense of humour is not just self-deprecatory, it is baldly deprecatory and ironic.

    I can remember a Yankee guru addressing us. At first she told us what a wonderful sense of humour we had, but finally she lost her patience and told us our sense of humour destroyed self-esteem. And so our sense of humour was destructive.

    But of course to us our sense of humour is funny - it makes us laugh - but it just makes you feel uncomfortable.

    And of course you can never admit this because it would be a blow to your self-esteem.
    I think America is big enough to where we can isolate the kind of American you are talking about - Conservative Americans.

  3. #43
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I think America is big enough to where we can isolate the kind of American you are talking about - Conservative Americans.
    Really? I tend to think "uptight liberal" when people are talking about "people who get offended by deprecatory humor." Of course, we have uptight conservatives, too, but I think you're wildly off-base with your sentiment here.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #44
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Really? I tend to think "uptight liberal" when people are talking about "people who get offended by deprecatory humor." Of course, we have uptight conservatives, too, but I think you're wildly off-base with your sentiment here.
    There is a reason why practically the only conservative comedians in existence here is the Blue Collar Comedy gang. GIT-R-DONE!!!!

  5. #45
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    So whats your point?

    You dont get our humor, we dont get yours. I highly doubt anyone one as a culture does not possess a sense of humor just because their that culture.
    This is a diplomatic embarassment.

    We get your sense of humour but you don't get ours.

    So naturally we walk on eggshells when we talk with you.

    And we have become adept at not breaking any.

    So adept that we have been allies since 1904, and we are happy with our Military Treaty with you and our very successful Land Treaty with you.

    And we are delighted with the Free Trade Agreement granted by your last President.

    And even more delighted that he gave us the very highest access to your world wide Intelligence.

    We are very happy with you. It's just that we are a little wistful that we can't share a laugh with you as we do with the Russians.

  6. #46
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I live across the road from the Russian Embassy and I drink with them in my local pub.
    So you live near Manuka? Well, that's not the worst part of Canberra...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  7. #47
    Senior Member Hexis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    I dont think its a culture thing entirely though, like the above posters stated America is so large that who you are talking about is quite possibly a sub-culture in our culture. America as a whole I do not believe fails at obtaining your sense of humor, merely a cast of individuals inside America.

    Unfortunately this is all too often the case with many many things outside our borders. Foreigners will usually only be exposed to a certain sub-culture from America and of course with nothing else to go on assumes the rest are like this. Even state to state their are cultural differences such as humor and the like. We are quite literally a melting-pot and we have unfortunately not cooled for consumption yet.
    SDMF

  8. #48
    Senior Member ThatsWhatHeSaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    7,233

    Default

    He should have given him some tea and a couple stamps.

  9. #49
    / booyalab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    There is a reason why practically the only conservative comedians in existence here is the Blue Collar Comedy gang. GIT-R-DONE!!!!
    clever.
    I don't wanna!

  10. #50
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    There is a reason why practically the only conservative comedians in existence here is the Blue Collar Comedy gang. GIT-R-DONE!!!!
    Are they conservatives? I've never heard any one of those guys talk politics. Ron White seems to have a pretty anti-establishment bent. Dennis Miller, Norm MacDonald, Drew Carey, Brad Stine, there are several conservative and libertarian comedians around. I was talking about senses of humor, though. It makes sense that more liberals would go into the entertainment industry, but when it comes to individual senses of humor, well, I've never had a conservative or libertarian chastise me for a transgressive joke, I'll put it that way. I think you're talking out of your ass again.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. Big Apple Pizza Gets Negative Yelp Reviews After Owner Bear-Hugs Obama
    By Rail Tracer in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
  2. [INFJ] do infjs have a hard time making big decisions?
    By grendiecat in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 06:47 PM
  3. Timing is everything?
    By Littlelostnf in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 03:01 AM
  4. The FCC and Big Media - time is running out!
    By anii in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 01:55 AM
  5. It's about damn time!
    By Rajah in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 03:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO