User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    We're embarrassingly fond of slapstick, but we sure love our self-deprecating Jews here.
    From your point of view, our sense of humour is not just self-deprecatory, it is baldly deprecatory and ironic.

I can remember a Yankee guru addressing us. At first she told us what a wonderful sense of humour we had, but finally she lost her patience and told us our sense of humour destroyed self-esteem. And so our sense of humour was destructive.

But of course to us our sense of humour is funny - it makes us laugh - but it just makes you feel uncomfortable.

And of course you can never admit this because it would be a blow to your self-esteem.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    From your point of view, our sense of humour is not just self-deprecatory, it is baldly deprecatory and ironic.

I can remember a Yankee guru addressing us. At first she told us what a wonderful sense of humour we had, but finally she lost her patience and told us our sense of humour destroyed self-esteem. And so our sense of humour was destructive.

But of course to us our sense of humour is funny - it makes us laugh - but it just makes you feel uncomfortable.

And of course you can never admit this because it would be a blow to your self-esteem.
    I think America is big enough to where we can isolate the kind of American you are talking about - Conservative Americans.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I think America is big enough to where we can isolate the kind of American you are talking about - Conservative Americans.
    Really? I tend to think "uptight liberal" when people are talking about "people who get offended by deprecatory humor." Of course, we have uptight conservatives, too, but I think you're wildly off-base with your sentiment here.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Really? I tend to think "uptight liberal" when people are talking about "people who get offended by deprecatory humor." Of course, we have uptight conservatives, too, but I think you're wildly off-base with your sentiment here.
    There is a reason why practically the only conservative comedians in existence here is the Blue Collar Comedy gang. GIT-R-DONE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    So whats your point?

You dont get our humor, we dont get yours. I highly doubt anyone one as a culture does not possess a sense of humor just because their that culture.
    This is a diplomatic embarassment.

We get your sense of humour but you don't get ours.

So naturally we walk on eggshells when we talk with you.

And we have become adept at not breaking any.

So adept that we have been allies since 1904, and we are happy with our Military Treaty with you and our very successful Land Treaty with you.

And we are delighted with the Free Trade Agreement granted by your last President.

And even more delighted that he gave us the very highest access to your world wide Intelligence.

We are very happy with you. It's just that we are a little wistful that we can't share a laugh with you as we do with the Russians.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I live across the road from the Russian Embassy and I drink with them in my local pub.
    So you live near Manuka? Well, that's not the worst part of Canberra...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I dont think its a culture thing entirely though, like the above posters stated America is so large that who you are talking about is quite possibly a sub-culture in our culture. America as a whole I do not believe fails at obtaining your sense of humor, merely a cast of individuals inside America.

Unfortunately this is all too often the case with many many things outside our borders. Foreigners will usually only be exposed to a certain sub-culture from America and of course with nothing else to go on assumes the rest are like this. Even state to state their are cultural differences such as humor and the like. We are quite literally a melting-pot and we have unfortunately not cooled for consumption yet.
    SDMF

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

He should have given him some tea and a couple stamps.

MBTI
    ENTP

There is a reason why practically the only conservative comedians in existence here is the Blue Collar Comedy gang. GIT-R-DONE!!!!
    clever.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ESFJ

Are they conservatives? I've never heard any one of those guys talk politics. Ron White seems to have a pretty anti-establishment bent. Dennis Miller, Norm MacDonald, Drew Carey, Brad Stine, there are several conservative and libertarian comedians around. I was talking about senses of humor, though. It makes sense that more liberals would go into the entertainment industry, but when it comes to individual senses of humor, well, I've never had a conservative or libertarian chastise me for a transgressive joke, I'll put it that way. I think you're talking out of your ass again.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"