User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 113

  1. #31
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I bet his favorability levels are still very high in the UK, like in the rest of Europe. Maybe this caused a temporary drop, but nothing anyone will remember in a couple weeks.
    That's assuming it was an aberration.

  2. #32
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    We should know by now that Russians don't possess humor.
    I live across the road from the Russian Embassy and I drink with them in my local pub.

    And I was surprised to find they have the same sense of humour as us.

    Both of us have a deprecatory and ironic sense of humour. But the Russian sense of humour is much darker than ours.

    So you might say we both have the same sense of humour but their's is much darker while ours is sunny.

    And this is understandable in terms of our histories. We are the lucky country while they are the unlucky country - the very unlucky country.

    Yankees though are deaf to deprecatory irony, so they think neither we nor the Russians have a sense of humour - while their sense of humour is the best in the world.

  3. #33
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It's embarrassing, but not close to as much as Hillary Clinton giving a "restart" button to Russia, and also misspelling it, saying "overload" in Russian, the other day. We should know by now that Russians don't possess humor.

    I think it's just best if we don't give the Russians, a nuclear power, anything that resembles a button.



  4. #34
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yankees though are deaf to deprecatory irony
    20 years ago, maybe.

  5. #35
    I'm a star. Kangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    20 years ago, maybe.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

    "please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

  6. #36
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I live across the road from the Russian Embassy and I drink with them in my local pub.

    And I was surprised to find they have the same sense of humour as us.

    Both of us have a deprecatory and ironic sense of humour. But the Russian sense of humour is much darker than ours.

    So you might say we both have the same sense of humour but their's is much darker while ours is sunny.

    And this is understandable in terms of our histories. We are the lucky country while they are the unlucky country - the very unlucky country.

    Yankees though are deaf to deprecatory irony, so they think neither we nor the Russians have a sense of humour - while their sense of humour is the best in the world.
    We're embarrassingly fond of slapstick, but we sure love our self-deprecating Jews here.

  7. #37
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    20 years ago, maybe.
    I also live across the road from the Youth Hostel and I regularly talk with Yankee backpackers.

    They are warm and friendly and open people, very nice to talk to, except they don't get our humour.

    Of course I have tried to explain it to them, but the more I explain, the less they get.

    And being adventurous they try to imitate our sense of humour, but the result is simply embarassing.

    But after a while they lose their sense of patience, and start to think that these people have no sense of humour.

    And so we are relegated to, 'these people', along with the Russians.

  8. #38
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    We're embarrassingly fond of slapstick, but we sure love our self-deprecating Jews here.
    France is much the same way.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #39
    Senior Member Hexis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I also live across the road from the Youth Hostel and I regularly talk with Yankee backpackers.

    They are warm and friendly and open people, very nice to talk to, except they don't get our humour.

    Of course I have tried to explain it to them, but the more I explain, the less they get.

    And being adventurous they try to imitate our sense of humour, but the result is simply embarassing.

    But after a while they lose their sense of patience, and start to think that these people have no sense of humour.

    And so we are relegated to, 'these people', along with the Russians.
    So whats your point?

    You dont get our humor, we dont get yours. I highly doubt anyone one as a culture does not possess a sense of humor just because their that culture.
    SDMF

  10. #40
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    France is much the same way.
    Slapstick humor is our own form of self-deprecation, here!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

Similar Threads

  1. Big Apple Pizza Gets Negative Yelp Reviews After Owner Bear-Hugs Obama
    By Rail Tracer in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM
  2. [INFJ] do infjs have a hard time making big decisions?
    By grendiecat in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 06:47 PM
  3. Timing is everything?
    By Littlelostnf in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 03:01 AM
  4. The FCC and Big Media - time is running out!
    By anii in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2007, 01:55 AM
  5. It's about damn time!
    By Rajah in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 03:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO