User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Does bring up an interesting look at American hypocrisy though. Bush chokes on a pretzel and he has Downs, Obama sends back an international gift of goodwill and it's "lulz who curs."
    Thank you for noticing that .

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Does bring up an interesting look at American hypocrisy though. Bush chokes on a pretzel and he has Downs, Obama sends back an international gift of goodwill and it's "lulz who curs."
    The pretzel thing was kind of funny, but did anyone really criticize him over it?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Thank you for noticing that .
    Keep in mind, people may just be desensitized to international relationships foul-ups because of the last president. A little indian giving barely registers compared to invading countries, feeling up German prime ministers, and labeling countries as participants in an axis of evil.

"What's that you say? Obama pooped on the UK PM's front porch? Well at least he didn't invade and take over his office, only to not find the pens he was looking for."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Fine! Next time they get the Borders gift card!

Give me my 30 seconds of skim-reading back.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Yeah, the UK press is definitely hot under the collar over this issue. It included the issue of the press conference - the location of it etc. In truth, compared to how past president's have treated UK PMs, this visit was markedly different. I don't know if it was inexperience by Obama's team or some kind of personal dislike on Obama's part/a deliberate snub, but either way it was pretty dumb. This is exactly the sort of thing Bush got kicked for all the time - diplomacy: not doing it right.

Of course this isn't some kind of major world issue but it was definitely handled with a distinct lack of finesse on Obama's part. The UK is the US's biggest historical ally and I'm just surprised it was handled so clumsily. I mean, DVDs? Yeah, it seems petty, but this sort of thing actually does matter. Wasn't Obama supposed to be some great diplomat?
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTx

I guess the American diplomatic core fell out of practice, with the last president spending most of his energy flipping off the international community.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Wasn't Obama supposed to be some great diplomat?
    I bet his favorability levels are still very high in the UK, like in the rest of Europe. Maybe this caused a temporary drop, but nothing anyone will remember in a couple weeks.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I bet his favorability levels are still very high in the UK, like in the rest of Europe. Maybe this caused a temporary drop, but nothing anyone will remember in a couple weeks.
    Will this permanently damage relations? Doubtful, of course. But people in the UK *were/are* upset about this, it was a rather big story. I just don't see the point in not following established protocol - why even risk pissing off an ally? Even if Obama's seeing Gordon Brown as the lame-duck he is, he's still there representing the UK, and imo should have been treated with more dignity.

And now, just for the memories: "Yo, Blair!" Good lord. At least Bush was *funny* when he fucked up like that. Heh.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Will this permanently damage relations? Doubtful, of course. But people in the UK *were/are* upset about this, it was a rather big story. I just don't see the point in not following established protocol - why even risk pissing off an ally? Even if Obama's seeing Gordon Brown as the lame-duck he is, he's still there representing the UK, and imo should have been treated with more dignity.

And now, just for the memories: "Yo, Blair!" Good lord. At least Bush was *funny* when he fucked up like that. Heh.
    It's embarrassing, but not close to as much as Hillary Clinton giving a "restart" button to Russia, and also misspelling it, saying "overload" in Russian, the other day. We should know by now that Russians don't possess humor.