User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

deleted

I think Obama meant the gift. The other presidents were misrepresenting our country when they sent these gifts. I am being truthful for once by sending you what is truly representing our country. Outdated technology and extra socks for those cold winters you guys have.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I read the Times and the Telegraph and it was in both of those newspapers, at least. I don't own a TV so I'm not sure about TV news, although I'd have thought there'd have been something about it; probably not a huge segment though.
    And it was featured in our national newspaper, "The Australian".

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    How was it handled in the paper? I could see the British press shrugging this off as "typical America" and managing to look condescending.
    That seemed to be the views of some who wrote in the comments underneath the articles. I mentioned in the first page of this thread some of the views put across. In the Telegraph it was an opinion piece and I think he was basically saying what LittleLinguist wrote above. This was all a couple of weeks ago now.

Very soon they will be coming to us and asking for more troops.

And they want to put us in the right frame of mind first - i mean after all they don't want us to say no.

So first of all they attack our self esteem - so we are less likely to resist their demands.

And thinking of us as expendable, naturally they want us to think we are expendable too.

And we are.

MBTI
    ENTJ

How was it handled in the paper? I could see the British press shrugging this off as "typical America" and managing to look condescending.
    It was the British press, mainly, who got their panties in a wad and created this as a news item. I am also, like the previous poster, both TV-less and a big reader of the UK papers (Times, Telegraph, Guardian, Independent and the Daily Mail and The Sun for entertainment/eyerolling goodness), and they weren't directly crying about the 'snub' but it was them, and only them, who made this a 'thing'. This could have something to do with the fact that the White House staff dicked the UK press people around and they got huffy about that and were predisposed to be grumpy about the whole visit?
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

Default Smells like Yellow Journalism

Frank Luther Mott (1941) defines Yellow Journalism in terms of five characteristics:[1]

1. scare headlines in huge print, often of minor news
    2. lavish use of pictures, or imaginary drawings
    3. use of faked interviews, misleading headlines, pseudo-science, and a parade of false learning from so-called experts
    4. emphasis on full-color Sunday supplements, usually with comic strips (which is now normal in the U.S.)
    5. dramatic sympathy with the "underdog" against the system.

Forum members: Do we have media sources that don't qualify as this anymore? Er, perhaps this is a topic diversion.

Risen, you were complaining a week or two ago about us discussing a controversial Islamic law being invoked in the Middle East which you deemed as a non-issue to U.S. interests. I want to know why you feel this event is more relevant.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    [I]

Forum members: Do we have media sources that don't qualify as this anymore? Er, perhaps this is a topic diversion.

Risen, you were complaining a week or two ago about us discussing a controversial Islamic law being invoked in the Middle East which you deemed as a non-issue to U.S. interests. I want to know why you feel this event is more relevant.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.
    I think i said it because it wasn't unusual at all, considering it was going on in the middle east. Focusing on the one story itself is fairly meaningless, but when you take issues like that and look at the big picture then it becomes important and relevant even to outside countries (like the U.S.). I guess that's why I was complaining, because it was just focusing on that one little situation (from what I was reading at the time) without looking at the broader issues, and because I admittedly felt it was less important since it was happening so far away to a couple of people (out of a million) who have faced similar situations in the thousands of years Islam has been a religion... It's just not... new. But your point is valid. What I consider important isn't what everyone else will consider important, and vise versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    I think i said it because it wasn't unusual at all, considering it was going on in the middle east. Focusing on the one story itself is fairly meaningless, but when you take issues like that and look at the big picture then it becomes important and relevant even to outside countries (like the U.S.). I guess that's why I was complaining, because it was just focusing on that one little situation (from what I was reading at the time) without looking at the broader issues, and because I admittedly felt it was less important since it was happening so far away to a couple of people (out of a million) who have faced similar situations in the thousands of years Islam has been a religion... It's just not... new. But your point is valid. What I consider important isn't what everyone else will consider important, and vise versa.
    Thank you for the courteous explanation. You are certainly right.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Thank you for the courteous explanation. You are certainly right.
    You are welcome .

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    ...the thousands of years Islam has been a religion...
    Which thousands of years?