User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Going Galt

  1. #31
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Well, both economic rankings are almost completely dominated by "socialist" Europe.

    There goes everything people on the Right have said about the economy...

  2. #32
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Am I supposed to be happy that I get to wait a year while someone who took my money at gunpoint gets to play with it?

    I worked a lot extra and got paid a little extra, after taxes.

    You wait 'til it's YOUR 70-hour weeks they're sucking away.

    You can't just pencil in thirty deductions, Tilt. It doesn't work that way. I'm already taking as many as I can take.
    At the end of the year, I get $1,000.00 for every week I have to be away from home for trial. Guess how much of that actually shows up in the check? $526.00. (That's because part of mine is going to 401k, too. But still. Taxes are most of it.)

    And it IS my 70 hour week we're talking about...

    Why do you think you're the only one?? Everybody's bonus checks get taxed all to hell and back.

    Be happy you have a job and get a bonus.

    Why are bonus checks taxed at a straight 42%? - Yahoo! Answers

    I'm having a hard time believing you about the withholding, too, but ... if you insist. Still, talk to your Payroll department.
    What are the maximum exemptions you can claim on your w-4? - Yahoo! Answers
    You understand you're only doing that for the month that you get the bonus. Then you change it back.

    P.S. Look at it as being proud you are able to work and contribute, as opposed to being a drain on the system. That's how I see it. I am happy to pay my taxes.

  3. #33
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well, both economic rankings are almost completely dominated by "socialist" Europe.

    There goes everything people on the Right have said about the economy...
    Are they? On the most recent GDP per capita at PPP list, I see free-market Singapore, Ireland, U.S., Hong Kong, and Iceland above every Northern European social democracy except Norway (which has an amazingly dynamic private sector compared to the old Continental European countries).


    NationMaster - GDP (purchasing power parity) (per capita) (most recent) by country
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #34
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well, both economic rankings are almost completely dominated by "socialist" Europe.

    There goes everything people on the Right have said about the economy...
    Currently, I am in scandinavia for my thesis. I must say that part of their success is due to the simple fact that they are not many. It's much easier to find the golden mean of government intervention when the numbers are low, whereas high population rises the risk of falling prey to niches/lobbies.

    Norway is rich because it has loads of oil and very little population. That's it. Almost nothing to do with other factors. My point is, that often the variables governing economic performance are endogenous, and they also partially drive efficacy of government, so it can't be said that what is good for country X is equally well-suited to country Y.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  5. #35
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Why do you think you're the only one?? Everybody's bonus checks get taxed all to hell and back.

    Be happy you have a job and get a bonus.
    I have not assumed that I'm the only one... not by any means. If I thought my tax money was actually being put to some reasonable use, I would not be as prone to complain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    P.S. Look at it as being proud you are able to work and contribute, as opposed to being a drain on the system. That's how I see it. I am happy to pay my taxes.
    Oh? You're happy to support those who are a drain on the system?

    At this point, I am at a loss. I'm not sure there's any point in continuing the conversation. Your perspective appears to me to be insane.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    My position is not insane, it's maybe just not as cynical as yours. I know there are some people scamming, but I think mostly folks who are not working would prefer to be. Meanwhile, roads, schools, public facilities, civil servants' salaries, etc., get paid for with my taxes.

  7. #37
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    My position is not insane, it's maybe just not as cynical as yours. I know there are some people scamming, but I think mostly folks who are not working would prefer to be. Meanwhile, roads, schools, public facilities, civil servants' salaries, etc., get paid for with my taxes.

    The amount of federal tax money that goes toward those things pales in comparison to the amount spent on defense (i.e., wars) and transfer payments. I'd love to read how much you think goes to things like schools and infrastructure.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #38
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Currently, I am in scandinavia for my thesis. I must say that part of their success is due to the simple fact that they are not many. It's much easier to find the golden mean of government intervention when the numbers are low, whereas high population rises the risk of falling prey to niches/lobbies.

    Norway is rich because it has loads of oil and very little population. That's it. Almost nothing to do with other factors. My point is, that often the variables governing economic performance are endogenous, and they also partially drive efficacy of government, so it can't be said that what is good for country X is equally well-suited to country Y.
    I generally agree with most of that, except for the following:

    1.) Scandinavia has not necessarily achieved a golden mean, its just that the combination of small populations and cultural homogeneity within a nation-state makes it easier to avoid the worst of the problems that excessive government intervention engenders.

    2.) Norway does deserve some credit for apparently avoiding the "dutch disease"; small countries with economies dominated by oil-revenue distortions generally require much more government intervention than is advisable (much less preferable) in large, diversified economies. The trick (or caveat) is twofold; adopt the right short-to-medium term interventionist policies, and have the political will to implement free market reforms once the oil revenues begin to dry up. Most oil-dominated economies that aspire to be anything other than a rentier state screw this up.

  9. #39
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The amount of federal tax money that goes toward those things pales in comparison to the amount spent on defense (i.e., wars) and transfer payments. I'd love to read how much you think goes to things like schools and infrastructure.
    Would you really? Why's that?

  10. #40
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Would you really? Why's that?
    Because the vast majority of people far overestimate how much government money goes toward what most consider to be necessary infrastructural-type things.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. Is this where I go to get fluffed?
    By Oberon in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 09:37 AM
  2. How to Go from Introvert to Extrovert
    By Usehername in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-30-2007, 12:43 AM
  3. Should Lookin4 go into the dunktank?
    By Lookin4theBestNU in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 11:21 AM
  4. I'm going to get a dog.
    By Brendan in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 05-18-2007, 08:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO