First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    By not torturing him, you're giving incentive for people to commit crimes without severe punishment, or any punishment in this case. It's stupid. Kill the guy, especially for what he did. If he's insane, he should have gotten some help or somebody should have gotten him some help. Now he takes the life of another, and people realize.
    He is being punished. He is being sent to a mental institute. If he is insane, than he can hardly be blamed for not getting help. This is hardly giving incentive to people to commit crimes.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

heart on fire

By not torturing him, you're giving incentive for people to commit crimes without severe punishment, or any punishment in this case. It's stupid. Kill the guy, especially for what he did. If he's insane, he should have gotten some help or somebody should have gotten him some help. Now he takes the life of another, and people realize.
    That's illogical. Most people who ride the bus don't sit there and think "damn I wish I could cut one of these people's heads off and have a snack." And for those who do think along these lines, I doubt they think about consequenses.

I agree with Ivy however, it should not be left open ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    He is being punished. He is being sent to a mental institute. If he is insane, than he can hardly be blamed for not getting help. This is hardly giving incentive to people to commit crimes.
    Yeah, totally.

MBTI
    I

Going to a mental institute, where people take care of the crazy? That's not really a punishment in my book. I would rather see him executed or jailed, that is a fiercer punishment for his crime.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Going to a mental institute, where people take care of the crazy? That's not really a punishment in my book. I would rather see him executed or jailed, that is a fiercer punishment for his crime.
    It's like jail.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    That's illogical. Most people who ride the bus don't sit there and think "damn I wish I could cut one of these people's heads off and have a snack." And for those who do think along these lines, I doubt they think about consequenses.
    I'm not doubting the fact that he's insane. What I'm saying is because he's insane, he should have been dealt with in the right way. The death penalty would have been the right way to go. All murderers are usually crazy. Getting rid of them will be beneficial for society as a whole, since they will be left out of the evolutionary chain.

heart on fire

All murderers are usually crazy.
    Not by the strict definition.

Getting rid of them will be beneficial for society as a whole, since they will be left out of the evolutionary chain.
    I really doubt he's likely to reproduce in his current circumstances.

MBTI
    epyT
    Enneagram

Even if this guy does recove in a mental institute, there is no way he should be released back into society. No way at all.
    Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

All murderers are usually crazy. Getting rid of them will be beneficial for society as a whole, since they will be left out of the evolutionary chain.
    Not true. I don't see how killing someone makes someone crazy or means they are crazy. Most murders are probably quite sane. There are very few who are insane just as there are very few in the general population who are insane.

It also depends on how you define what murder is and how many exceptions to the definition you allow.

In response to the OP: That's an odd story. I found it horrifying and amusing at the same time. I do feel awful for the poor man, though. Imagine the pressure he must be under all the time to do what he perceives as God's will while at the same time trying to come to terms with the fact that much of God's will is against the law or abides by no law or is above the law while he is a mere mortal. I think this is an example of a moment when someone finally snaps under that kind of internal pressure.

There's likely little help for him, unfortunately.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

am i the only one wondering how he cut off the dude's head? Cuz my CSI education has taught me that cutting off someone's head is actually a lot of physical labor, depending on the situation....

Cuz I mean, decapitating someone with a guilotine is a lot easier than doing it with a pocket knife.... I think if this guy did it the decapitation with a fork, then he's insane. otherwise he's just "violent"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It's like jail.
    Exactly right. I've worked in several hospitals and they are not just rehab centers. They are jails with different security to match different needs.

Frankly, TheChosenOne, it doesn't make much sense to want to torture the guy if your goal goes past revenge and satisfying your thirst for violence.

In order to really address a problem, you have to go to its roots. In this case, I think greed, hatred, irresponsible behavior and miseducation are some of the chief factors. It's a selfish mentality that searches for pleasure and relief. Your plan, as far as I can tell, utilizes and stems from the same type of mentality that CAUSES social dysfunction. For that reason, it doesn't really work.