User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

"He will be institutionalized without a criminal record and will be reassessed every year by a mental health review board to determine if he is fit for release into the community."
    They said "if"
    Police said McLean's body parts were found throughout the bus in plastic bags, and the victim's ear, nose and tongue were found in Li's pocket.
    This is why!

"Victim's family wants law changed
    McLean's family is vowing to turn their attention to fighting the law that allows people who are found not criminally responsible to be released into the community once they are deemed well, without serving a minimum sentence in jail."

WTF??... Justice has been served, one less psycho on the streets!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

IMO, all of this depends on why he beheaded the passenger to begin with. ...

Maybe God told him to do it? It couldn't be insanity in that case!

MBTI
    INTx

This actually happened fairly close to where I live....

The man did not "walk away innocent". He was found to be not criminally responsible. The ruling was not a snap judgement of the man's mental state either, given his history. News snippits cite a lack of witnesses, and it's true that few witnesses were called, because they weren't needed. No one is disputing what happened.

The family of course will fight the results.

Edits: Reworded a bit.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Note to self: murder is now legal in Canada. Excellent. . .
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    The man did not "walk away innocent". He was found to be not criminally responsible. The ruling was not a snap judgement of the man's mental state, either (he has history).
    You really are bursting their rabble party, sir!

Sometimes, the herd just likes to get riled up about shit. It's ok!

MBTI
    Ixxx

"Not psychologically accountable, but still criminally responsible." This is what the victim's mother wants the laws to be changed to. And I agree with that as long as it means that the criminal is still kept in a mental facility, not a jail. People who are psychologically ill cannot be treated like they are a disease that needs to be eradicated. Yes Mr. Li should have been charged with murder, but he should have to spend his sentence in a mental institute being analyzed with the intentions of getting him healthy and just to understand what he goes through daily and what went on in his mind during the time of the incident. This way society is protected, justice is served, Li is helped and respected as a human being, and society may learn how to reduce the chances of a similar incident happening again.

Given that all that is not the current reality, I feel it is better that Vince Li is in a mental institute where he can be analyzed and treated, instead of in prison or dead. If someone's really sick (think SARS) doctors and nurses do still try to help them as much as they can, they don't give up.

Obviously the case is sensational and grotesque, frightful and tragic, but society has to get beyond that to give it the careful and serious consideration that is required in order for it to be dealt with properly on all fronts.
    But I guess that's enough venting for now... I'll shake my head later.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Guys, he's not guilty by reason of insanity (NGRI). He DECAPITATED SOMEONE on a bus. The guy is obviously fucked in the head.

For all of you who think NGRI means innocent, you're wrong. It's a different category with different consequences. He's going to a psych hospital. Those places have high security with minimum rights, and all your roommates are fucking crazy too. He's truly sick and he won't be let out for a long long time unless he really becomes stable. Hopefully, he'll get some treatment in the hospital too.

I'm not cool with killing people who don't have any control over their content and meaning of their mind.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Guys, he's not guilty by reason of insanity (NGRI). He DECAPITATED SOMEONE on a bus. The guy is obviously fucked in the head.

For all of you who think NGRI means innocent, you're wrong. It's a different category with different consequences. He's going to a psych hospital. Those places have high security with minimum rights, and all your roommates are fucking crazy too. He's truly sick and he won't be let out for a long long time unless he really becomes stable. Hopefully, he'll get some treatment in the hospital too.

I'm not cool with killing people who don't have any control over their content and meaning of their mind.
    Agreed.

I think what people are worried about though is that he'll be released one day from the mental institution after not having been there long and that seem unjust.

We don't really know how long he has been insane and if he'll get better in the future.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Well, Manitoba has no death penalty, anyway.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Agreed, totally.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii