User Tag List

First 12

Sniffles

Two Countries Overturn Gay Military Ban
    Two countries without anywhere near a high quality military force. Argentina got it's ass kicked pretty bad in the Falkland's War, and as far as I know doesn't face a major military threat. Philipines has to mostly deal with internal threats, but relies on considerable military support from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I concur! The Spartans were also extremely brutal and completely slaughtered enemies that were not Greek/capable of speaking Greek (aka barbarians) and also loved to kill off their own babies.... can we start doing those things too?!? By LORD I miss those good 'ol days of slaughterin'.... and yay infanticide!
    Although that's included in Plutarch's accounts of the Spartans, archeologists have voiced strong skepticism over whether that actually happened, as noted here:
    'Spartans didn't kill weak babies'

Tue, 11 Dec 2007

The Greek myth that ancient Spartans threw their stunted and sickly newborns off a cliff was not corroborated by archaeological digs in the area, researchers said on Monday.

After more than five years of analysis of human remains culled from the pit, also called an apothetes, researchers found only the remains of adolescents and adults between the ages of 18 and 35, Athens Faculty of Medicine Anthropologist Theodoros Pitsios said.

"There were still bones in the area, but none from newborns, according to the samples we took from the bottom of the pit" of the foothills of Mount Taygete near present-day Sparta.

"It is probably a myth, the ancient sources of this so-called practice were rare, late and imprecise," he added.

Meant to attest to the militaristic character of the ancient Spartan people, moralistic historian Plutarch in particular spread the legend during the first century AD.

cooltech.iafrica.com | science & nature 'Spartans didn't kill weak babies'
    Alright then.
    point here: the spartan culture is an EXTREMELY strange culture in comparison to ours, so I don't think it's "fair game" to have them pertain to our case here.
    That's certainly true. There's already an on-going debate about what exactly where the Greek attitudes towards what we call "homosexuality". One colleague of mine who has a degree in Classical Studies notes much of what is popularily stated on that issue is largely a self-serving misunderstanding of the institution of pederasty. He claims that to even talk about "homosexuality" within the Greek mindset is an anachronism.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Are you stating that people regardless of sexual orientation, are incapable of being professionals?
    I'm saying, the Generals believe that, in social extremes, biology and basic human psychology necessities begin to weigh very heavily on Mission Accomplishment and morale. This is not my view, I'm just arguing from their perspective here... although they do have a lot of evidence for their standpoint.

Can you honestly say that it ISN'T a complication of sorts? The military HATES that shit on any level

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    He claims that to even talk about "homosexuality" within the Greek mindset is an anachronism.
    To say it's anachronistic implies homosexuality is a "modern" phenom, but research seems to point to a biological not culture cause of development... but it's good to know they debate that stuff. Classics nerds, holla back

MBTI
    INxJ

I'm saying, the Generals believe that, in social extremes, biology and basic human psychology necessities begin to weigh very heavily on Mission Accomplishment and morale. This is not my view, I'm just arguing from their perspective here.

Can you honestly say that it ISN'T a complication of sorts?
    It's obviously a drive to some extent, but people have the freedom to make the more prudent choice. Humans aren't always animals.

MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Humans aren't always animals.
    A human in a foxhole getting bombed on 24/7 is liable to behave like an animal :p

and plz, "choice" and free will goodie stuff doesn't factor into good military decisions! At least the ones made by all the males

A soldier in the field has a probable rate of failure, etc

MBTI
    INxJ

A human in a foxhole getting bombed on 24/7 is liable to behave like an animal :p
    lol True, to some extent.

My brother and best friend are in the army. I have two acquaintances, also in the army. Three have been overseas. I don't know the differences between military services. Yet, the people I know, do behave with a sense of decorum (even in war).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Noz, being in the military is about being competent and responsibly completing a mission. People in negative or positive relationships (either serious or platonic) of any gender orientation are going to have complications. That is part of being human. In the military, however, no matter how much you hate/love the person next to you in the field, your responsibility is to protect them and believe that they would go to the same lengths for you regardless of your relationship to them. I hope you have had the opportunity to experience this during your service.

What matters above all in judging the suitability of a service member is their professional competency and integrity. Even so, military organizations vary greatly and not all create a professional environment conducive to appropriate behaviour. This is a matter of leadership failing to set the correct tone.

You should find more reputable information that just gossip. Do you not agree that employment should be based on a personal standard of an individual's strengths, skills and character? Maintaining that the risk of romantic relationships in a corps is too great to allow is misleading from the fact that at any given time, any person in uniform will be called upon to deal with some sort of ethical conflict. Time and resources would be better spent investing in the effectivity of the soldiers, not an irrational judgement of their suitability sexually.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

MBTI
    Hype

^ I don't understand.... where have I gone wrong in my analysis of how and why the US Military does what it does? (I'm not referring to public statements either, but a rigid analysis of the function of the military and why it's there).... I'm not sure what the Canadian military thinks, though.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Could you cite which of the American Generals you are reffering to? Canada is a very different story in terms of professional work culture.

I will sum up my last post for you:
    - With proper leadership, emphasis on competency (ideal would be equivalent expectations in all realms of a job description for both genders) and an environment of professionalism, gender and sexual orientation are non-issues. Not non-issues to their personal identities, but as not factoring into their effectivity individually or within a team.

When these tools are applied and upheld, you can change a professional culture (yes even the army) to focus more on the goals and missions than the interpersonal drama. This would also give service members additional support from within their own "military families" to make clearer decisions when faced with ethical conflict. What is courage? Being able to be in that foxhole, scared almost beyond your wits, but choosing to take action instead of letting the fear consume you.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I concur! The Spartans were also extremely brutal and completely slaughtered enemies that were not Greek/capable of speaking Greek (aka barbarians) and also loved to kill off their own babies.... can we start doing those things too?!? By LORD I miss those good 'ol days of slaughterin'.... and yay infanticide!

point here: the spartan culture is an EXTREMELY strange culture in comparison to ours, so I don't think it's "fair game" to have them pertain to our case here.
    I never suggested that we should keep the Spartans in mind to copy them. I was suggesting that we should keep them in mind to not copy them. The main thing not to copy being that they did not reproduce enough, and thus, went extinct.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hmm View Post
    I never suggested that we should keep the Spartans in mind to copy them. I was suggesting that we should keep them in mind to not copy them. The main thing not to copy being that they did not reproduce enough, and thus, went extinct.
    The U.S. has no shortage of population. In fact, there are many kids that get adopted by homosexuals that have nowhere else to go (too old, or an ethnic minority). People aren't going to change their sexuality just to procreate. Nonetheless, same sex couples have their own biological children all the time. Nor does being gay mean, they don't have the same desires as heterosexuals (family, marriage etc).