User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Do you collect NAZI memorabilia?
    I was just thinking that myself.

Sniffles

Here's a cute picture of three Waffen-SS soldiers playing with a kitten. I posted it in the one thread to symbolise Little Linguist.

And on the same theme, here's a group of Soviet NKVD troopers with a puppy.

Sniffles

Here YourLocalJesus, some Waffen-SS photos for you.

Sniffles

Do you collect NAZI memorabilia?
    I collect various memorabilia from the war, and that includes the German side. I also have a strong interest in the Red Army, and a have a considerable collection of memorabilia related to that force too.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I collect various memorabilia from the war, and that includes the German side. I also have a strong interest in the Red Army, and a have a considerable collection of memorabilia related to that force too.
    Some people does not seem to be able to get over the fact that they were nazis. -_- They are a very important part of history, and besides them killing a bunch of people in peculiar manners, they were also interesting in some mystic and macabre way. I think it is stupid of people who weren't there to act so irrationally about it. Acting like that only serves one purpose, it encourages people to embrace that which is "forbidden".

Thanks for the pictures, Peguy

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Some people does not seem to be able to get over the fact that they were nazis. -_- They are a very important part of history, and besides them killing a bunch of people in peculiar manners, they were also interesting in some mystic and macabre way. I think it is stupid of people who weren't there to act so irrationally about it. Acting like that only serves one purpose, it encourages people to embrace that which is "forbidden".
    That's true. Certainly one has to be mindful about the unpleasant facts concerning the relationship of the Wehrmacht and Waffen-SS to the Nazi regime. However, that shouldn't prevent us from giving them their just due as fine soldiers. And one should certainly be mature enough to not disrespect the sacrifices they made defending their country, however unjust their cause was.

It's a major point in military ethics to respect and honour your enemies. Need I mention that veterans who fought for the Allies adhere to that. One of them was my grandfather.

MBTI
    ISTJ

Yeah, If we put the Nazi's (or any other inconvienent group of people) on an ignore list and never look in to what they really were, we would never know how to stop them from coming back! It history!!! They fought for what they thought was right, and we fought for what we thought was right. And they did a hell of a job, we just did better! (Thankfully)

Awesome pictures Peguy! Hahaha I like that one symbolizing LittleLinguist LOL!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Hello Hmm, it's nice to think of you out there in California.

However if you are interested in starting to learn why Adolf Hitler and the Germans committed suicide, you might start by reading Alice Miller.

Alice Miller is a German herself and writes in German but has good English translations.

And here is Alice Miller on Adolf Hitler, just click on - This Is A War - ABUSE

You can see her writing by clicking on YouTube - The roots of violence.

If you wish to understand Hitler and the Germans it is best to start with the book, "For Your Own Good", by Alice Miller

And interestingly, Islam has exactly the same reasons for committing suicide.

Victor.

You can try looking for the Time Life series on the war. They're pretty much found in every public library, and offer much for beginners and experts alike.

As for movies, I'd highly recommend The Longest Day, which is the classic film about D-Day.
    Thank you for the recommendations.

heart on fire

Yes and no. Early romantic nationalism was tied highly to Liberal ideals. It was really after the failures of Liberal attempts at pan-German unity in the 1848 revolutions that we begin to see the more aggressive forms of nationalism that are familiar to us.

Concerning the argument about the enlightenment, Germany was home for many proto-Romantic developments throughout the 18th century. Von Herder is one example. The Sturm und Drang movement is another.
    I am talking mostly about that particular strain of magical type thought called the volkish movement (by historians) which grew out of the romantic period (but is distinct from the romantic movement as a whole), a middle class movement which took a sharp turn from the more humanistic/Enlightenment based thought into racial/mystical purity, magical thinking---pitting the German soul against western intellect:

Wilhelm von Riehl (1823-1897) City life was corrupting the Germans

Berthold Auerbach (1812-1897) Peasant is the ideal German.

Paul de Lagarde (1827-1891) German faith different from Christanity will unite the nation. He saw Jews as enemy to Germany.

Julius Langbehn (1851-1907) He believed a mystical, irrational life force is superior to reason and held that Jews corrupted the German spirit.

Stewart Chamberlain (1855-1927) An Englishman who adopted German citizenship and asserted that races are not merely physically different, but morally, intellectually and spiritually and that the struggle between races is the driving force of history.

Kaiser William II called Foundations by Chamberlain a "Hymn to Germanism" and read it to his children.

Chamberlain's ideas became vastly popular, embraced by groups like the Pan-German Association, which was made up of the middle class, highly educated and also the aristocracy.

Volkish thought became the largest group in the conservative revolutionary movement.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Someone couldnt imagine this happened just one human lifespan ago from our lifes today

my grandpa was a major, lost his leg in russia, his brother was SS. Became an Oberst in the Bundeswehr later in Korea.

My whole family were soldiers, but I spoiled the tradition. my very cool grandpa is now dead for a long time, but his brother is still alive and still not talking to me because I didnt join the military
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]