User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INTx

Hmm. 1k - 1.5k isn't very big.

I mean, you guys had protests that were how big about Iraq? Didn't really change anything.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    You're not making sense. $13 a week? It will be different for everyone depending on income, if you're going to college, home-owners, if you have children...
    And it's entirely possible by this time next year that the full amount of it in any given week won't buy a pound of hamburger.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    We may have next to nothing in common fiscally but I have always respected you as you always seem to have pragmatical thinking. By that I mean you would able to say commendatory, not just negative things, about someone you may not like from political prospective; like you just did for Obama on Gitmo.

I like to think my criticism on this forum has on the whole has been justified, but I am brave enough to say in the past especially during the days of Lateralus and Kiddo's continued lovers' tiff, I may have been unfair in suggesting certain people on occasion, like Lateralus and maybe even yourself, always cause debates to go off topic. On the whole there has been some interesting debates, with a varied opinion particularly on fiscal matters, not just from people I tended to agree with like kiddo, ajblaise, and Haight, but also with from completely different views like yourself, Lee (whatever username he goes by this week), Lateralus, and Booylab who make thought provoking posts on political and economic theory.
    I took issue with your criticisms of me in the Feedback thread, I must say. I try very hard not to derail threads, and there is always at least a thread of germane thought in there somewhere. That being said, I appreciate your acknowledgment of my freethinking.

hat said, not matter how hard I try I can not ever seem to bring to take Risen even a little seriously when I read things by him like;

I am pretty sure he is the only one who is unable to comprehend how incredibly arrogant and aggressive his disposition comes across as. I was under the understanding this was a forum where people come to relax and not trash talk like this was the run up to the Battle of Stalingrad. Maybe if he shut the hell up about 'duct tape and gorilla glue', and tried to at least to make an sagacious argument once in a while rather than have only having a penchant of positively nugatory and antagonistic political posts then just maybe he would not consider this forum a ''relatively hostile environment''.

So yeah, I will finish this thread with some examples of Risen's outstanding contribution to this internet forum and more importantly this particular fora;

I don't always agree with Risen's tactics, either, but it would be a nice sign if you criticized some of the leftists for their tactics, too. I have banged my head against the wall with ajblaise several times because of the question dodging and insertion of things not germane to the conversation (like the recent GDP growth/economic freedom discussion, which aj tried to turn into a human rights discussion; Kiddo was the king of this). As I said, I try as hard as possible not to derail threads. It's not my fault that several posters don't understand or disagree strongly with my political beliefs.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Getting back to the topic of tax revolts, our local radio station in LA, CA (KFI) hosted a tax revolt rally that drew in 8,000~15,000 people. Quite a staggering number, and it goes to show how fed up people are with the politics at play in CA, a discontent that will spread to the federal level nationally if they continue to act the same way CA politicians have.

KFI AM 640 More Stimulating Talk Radio

Thousands rally against new taxes - Pasadena Star-News

Thousands rally against new taxes
    By Brian Day, Staff Writer
    Posted: 03/07/2009 10:29:26 PM PST

KFI radio personalities, John Kobylt, center, and Ken Chiampou lead over 15,000 people in chants during their Tax Revolt 2009 rally at the Slidebar Cafe in Fullerton on March 7, 2009. John and Ken are leading a recall edffort on republican State legislators including Assemblyman Anthony Adams. (SGVN/Staff Photo by Keith Durflinger)

FULLERTON - Droves of angry taxpayers gathered Saturday to protest tax increases in the recently approved state budget and to rally for the recall of Republicans who supported the increases - or didn't do enough to stop them.

Tax Revolt 2009 was hosted by KFI-AM talk-show hosts John Kobylt and Ken Chiampou in a parking lot behind the Slidebar Cafe in Fullerton.

They support recall efforts against Assemblyman Anthony Adams, R-Claremont; state Sen. Abel Maldonado, R-Santa Maria; and Assemblyman Jeff Miller, R-Corona.

Adams and Maldonado voted in February to approve a budget that includes $12.8 billion in tax increases to help close a $42 billion deficit. Miller, the hosts allege, didn't do enough to stop the deal from passing.

Repeated calls seeking comment from Adams were not returned on Friday and Saturday. Kobylt and Chiampou said they also want to recall Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"They laid on us the largest tax increase that any state has ever passed in the nation's 233-year history," Kobylt said to the crowd, many of whom carried signs admonishing the Legislature and effigies of the governor's head on a stick.

The radio station reported as many as 15,000 people attended, but a Fullerton police sergeant estimated 3,000 to 8,000 people were there.

"We pay the highest sales tax in the nation, and that was before the tax increase," Kobylt said. "We pay the highest income tax in the nation, and that was before the tax increase."

Lee Crowley - chairman of the Atlas Political Action Committee, which is leading the recall effort against Adams - criticized Adams for signing a pledge promising to oppose all tax increases during his campaign.

Breaking the promise "means a lot to a lot of people," Crowley said.

Crowley accused Adams of being arrogant and said petition gathering to recall him will begin within the next few weeks.

Three months after that, he said, they hope
    KFI radio personalities, John Kobylt and Ken Chiampou lead over 15,000 people in chants during their Tax Revolt 2009 rally at the Slidebar Cafe in Fullerton on March 7, 2009. John and Ken are leading a recall effort on republican State legislators including Assemblyman Anthony Adams. (SGVN/Staff Photo by Keith Durflinger)
    to have the 37,000 signatures needed to initiate a recall election.

Adams - who represents parts of the San Gabriel Valley including La Verne, San Dimas Monrovia and Arcadia - defended his budget vote in a recent interview saying, "this was a necessary evil to ward off a financial crisis."

Bruce Woodhall of San Dimas said he wants to see Adams recalled.

"When you feel that you've been straight-up lied to and deceived, we don't need someone in that position with those principles," he said.

Woodhall called the amount by which taxes are being increased "ridiculous."

"If you dig any deeper into my pocket, all you'll get is lint and an IOU," Woodhall added. "We'll be just as broke as the state if they keep taxing us at this rate."

Walnut resident Richard Michael said he was also fed up with state government.

"I am just incensed that the politicians are not keeping their promises," he said.

The tax increases, he added, shouldn't be necessary.

"I have to save more money. I can't spend as much. They can do the same," he said.

During the three-hour event, Kobylt and Chiampou led the crowd in chants including, "Off with their heads," "Liar," and "Revolt, recall, repeal."

Many attendees carried signs with slogans such as, "Terminate the terminator," and "Recall Arnold."

Members of the crowd were invited to vent their frustrations by destroying DVDs, video tapes and action figures featuring Schwarzenegger with a sledge hammer, a shredder and a sword.
    Last edited by Risen; 03-10-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

This is what I mean by how people are becoming disenfranchised.

[youtube="jeYscnFpEyA"]Thomas Paine[/youtube]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    This is what I mean by how people are becoming disenfranchised.

[youtube="jeYscnFpEyA"]Thomas Paine[/youtube]
    i might not agree with *everything* this guy is saying, but i agree with the spirit of the address.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.