User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I don't believe we will be recovering any time soon.

Let me share a few things related to our budget and government spending:

[youtube="AOCJ1zOP_bA"]The Spenders[/youtube]

In our federal budget, defense spending accounts for 22%. Social security is 21% of the budget. Medicare, medicaid, S Chip, dept of health and human services, etc. is also 21% of the budget. 9% of the budget is in safety net programs.

9% is interest on our debt. If our spending isn't cut this number will grow. the larger it grows, the worse off we will be. 18% of the budget is everything else: civilian benefits for veterans, communications, transportation, scientific research, non-security international expenditures, etc.

I believe the budget this year is estimated to be $3.6 trillion under Obama.
    The budget rose with Clinton to over 1.8 trillion and rose higher with Bush to $2.9 trillion in spending in 2008.

We will be paying for $634 billion as a reserve fund/down payment to
    cover universal health care.
    This money wont be put into healthcare. Tax payer money is going to be siphoned and saved for "universal health care", a program we don't yet have.
    Obama Wasn’t Kidding About Health Care -- Daily Intel -- New York News Blog -- New York Magazine

Over 40% of the nation doesn't pay any income tax (number derived from the taxes neutralized through exemptions and returns).

Obama says nobody who makes under $250,000 will pay a dime more
    in taxes. The budget will be payed for with taxes on the wealthiest 2% of
    Americans, but the numbers don't add up. 3.8 million people filed for income tax who
    make over $200,000. 7% of all tax returns are from those earning over 200,000. The top 2% payed $522 billion in income tax/62% of all income tax revenue in the U.S.; just from the top 2% wealthiest Americans.

The richest 1% paid $408 billion or 44.9% of all income tax. The top marginal income tax rate is 35%. Obama wants to raise it to 39.6%, plus another 2% in deduction
    phaseouts (41.6% of their income will be going to the government
    not including ANY other taxes). If we raised the top income tax
    rate (for top 2% of Americans) to 100% of income, we'd only gain $1.3
    trillion in extra revenue. That is less then half the 2006
    budget of $2.7 trillion. If we took EVERYTHING from EVERYONE
    earning over $75,000 we still wouldn't have $4 trillion, or enough to cover Obama's budget.

In short, the budget in unsustainable and all the spending that
    magically gets excluded from the budget numbers is
    unsustainable. Clinton, Bush, Obama, whatever. They all progressed the problem. If Obama tends to make good on his amazingly optimistic promise of halving the portion of the budget deficit inherited from Bush (or Obama's very own contributions
    to it in the same fashion), I guarantee it'd be nothing more
    than a cheap trick, playing with the book keeping.

I'll be honest with you, it is extremely daunting in the scope of and
    ambiguity in where money travels through the dark forest that is the
    federal government. Between the budget, budget deficit,
    federal deficit, national debt, bailouts, stimulus, economic
    recovery, spending promises, future obligations, interest on
    debt, etc. etc. etc. I'm getting a bit lost in it all. I think most people are getting lost in it all (if they know what all there is to be understood in the first place).

Another issue that needs to be addressed:

House passes $410 billion spending bill, filled with earmarks; Will President Obama veto it? - Getting in your Business - Jackson Citizen Patriot - MLive.com

The house has passed another God damn spending bill that has nothing to do with economic recovery. It includes a whopping NINE THOUSAND earmarks, a total of $7.8 billion. Democrats are responsible for $4.6 billion in pork/60% of it, while the GOP is responsible for $3.1 billion/40% of the earmarks.

Barack Obama and his staff have earmarks in it as well (But Obama just called for any trace of his name to be taken out). Biden also has a large number of earmarks. Amazing how Obama claimed he would have ZERO earmarks...

I don't understand all the Obama hate, or "dislike" if hate isn't the right word.

The current problems we are experiencing are all Bush's fault, Obama is doing what he thinks is best to clean up the mess that Bush left him, cut the guy some slack.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    I don't understand all the Obama hate, or "dislike" if hate isn't the right word.

The current problems we are experiencing are all Bush's fault, Obama is doing what he thinks is best to clean up the mess that Bush left him, cut the guy some slack.
    As I said before, this problem goes beyond just one president. They have ALL contributed to it. I could ask the same of you and why all the Bush hate. At the end of the day, we need to start focusing on the problems here, not the popularity politics. We also need to put blame where blame is due be it on Bush, Obama, or anyone else. I'm liable to be hard on Obama because I hate it when people who lie and deceive. It's wrong. IF that is what he is doing then I, and everyone else, should call him out. He has certainly been shifting public perception into something that is false, not just the media doing it, and he has been going back on many of his promises which I never expected he could keep in the first place. Still, that doesn't excuse him. This is why "politician" has such negative connotations. people called out Bush, so why not for the current president? IT IS NOT ABOUT OBAMA, it is about the problem that he is necessarily a part of. The spending and priorities need to get under control. We are still out of control, perhaps more, with the current budgets.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    bolded the sticking point, especially as centerpieces of the plan are taxing those over $250K (hello! not rich!) and "streamlining government"
    Top 2% of earners counts as rich in my book. I believe those are family incomes though, with 100-something being the target for single earners, which is something like 5%. Still counts as rich to me.

It generally makes the most sense to tax them - and the increases would be essentially phasing out the Bush cuts (~3%), AFAIK.

I don't keep track of this stuff in that much detail as I believe it'll change long before it happens. Always does.

heart on fire

Why do people link unemployment with welfare? It's not the same thing at all.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Top 2% of earners counts as rich in my book. I believe those are family incomes though, with 100-something being the target for single earners, which is something like 5%. Still counts as rich to me.

It generally makes the most sense to tax them - and the increases would be essentially phasing out the Bush cuts (~3%), AFAIK.

I don't keep track of this stuff in that much detail as I believe it'll change long before it happens. Always does.
    Their taxes are going to go up by 4.6% PLUS the cessation of the Bush tax cuts, putting their tax increase somewhere around 6.6% just for income tax. In my opinion, it's wrong to tax people so damn much just because they came up in the system and worked their way towards the top. With other taxes included, I'm sure well over half of their money goes to taxes . When it comes to businesses being taxed, increasing their costs of operation only hurts workers and consumers.

MBTI
    INTJ

Usually in politics, the correct solution is one everyone hates, and that is one where we A.) Cut back government spending and B.) Raise taxes at the same time. This will happen in the next decade, or the Fed Funds rate will be around 8% or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    In my opinion, it's wrong to tax people so damn much just because they came up in the system and worked their way towards the top.
    I hate this idea, truly, probably the worst propaganda to ever plague society.

With other taxes included, I'm sure well over half of their money goes to taxes .
    Good, it is fairly easy to understand that it is better for someone making $1 million a year to pay $500,000 in taxes, thus ending up with $500,000 left, rather than someone making $50,000 and endup up with $40,000 after taxes. (I don't know if these are realistic estimates but the concept is extremely simple, it's about fairness)

When it comes to businesses being taxed, increasing their costs of operation only hurts workers and consumers.
    Bullshit. This is only if the fat-cats decide to keep their outrageous wages. The big business owners spew this bullshit idea around to justify their gluttony.

Unless you are in the top 1% of income there is no reason why you should support such ideas at all. These ideas are contrary to what anyone in the bottom 99% need, you're basically punching yourself in the face for supporting this crap.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Their taxes are going to go up by 4.6% PLUS the cessation of the Bush tax cuts, putting their tax increase somewhere around 6.6% just for income tax. In my opinion, it's wrong to tax people so damn much just because they came up in the system and worked their way towards the top. With other taxes included, I'm sure well over half of their money goes to taxes . When it comes to businesses being taxed, increasing their costs of operation only hurts workers and consumers.
    My understanding is that they are marginal rate increases plus a lock in rate of itemized deductions. I don't see how that would add to 6.6%, for the vast majority (90% of the top 5%) of the people...

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Why do people link unemployment with welfare? It's not the same thing at all.
    The connection is that both are given to those in need; once unemployment runs out, welfare is the next logical step. In short, it tends to apply to discouraged workers during unemployment spikes.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I don't wanna see Glenn Beck's face in this thread. This is a serious matter.