User Tag List

Thread: Did You Know?

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Default Did You Know?

[YOUTUBE="cL9Wu2kWwSY"]Did You Know?[/YOUTUBE]

(I searched some for this on the forums, but couldn't find it. Just delete or merge I guess if it exists already.)
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

They could've filled this 5 minute long video with SOOOOO MANY more useful facts, like our national spending for instance.

What it means is that we are on an exponential curve that is approaching infinity.

But as infinity is impossible, it means we are going to pass through a singularity, or in other words, we are going to pass through a phase change, like ice turning into water or water turning into steam.

We have been through other phase changes like the change from the spoken culture to the literate culture.

And we are going through a phase change now from a literate culture to an electronic culture.

But what is amazing is that as we go through this phase change, we become numb. So we are unable to perceive the change as it is happening.

We are like a patient anesthetised upon a table - great changes are being wrought in us, but we don't feel a thing.

And the surgeon's knife is the very medium we are using now. But we are completely oblivious. We are completely numb to the effects of the surgery. But at the same time we have the illusion we know what is going on. So we are doubly blind.

All this is because we perceive by making distinctions, and as yet the distinction between literate culture and electron culture has not been made.

So naturally we can't perceive anything - we are unavoidably blind.

And so we can expect to be equally blind as we approach the singularity or phase change up ahead.

For that reason I suggest you read the medieval text called, "The Cloud of Unknowing", by Anonymous.

We will all be entering the cloud of unknowing, so we should stop pretending we know, and get used to not knowing.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Yes, infinite debt. I was considering it this way recently.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

I think that there is nothing really new in this. (at least to me)

To be honest I think that China and India will experiance crash.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Am I the only one who finds this disgusting?
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    I rather think it is inspiring. I know it's suppose to react with "how america is failing"... but it's mostly reactionary. You could redo these videos with America vs Norway or some such. Population could be done with Canada and the US, even. The numbers are without context in the video.

And all it does is remind me that so far the singularists have been right. Predictively right, even if they underestimate the man-hours it takes to accomplish each milestone. Every day, a little bit more comes true... That's all this video tells me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    Would you care to explain why?

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

It's just a interesting video.
    If anything it's aim is to have a shock value.

I enjoyed how it visually represented things, and just gave clear facts. I thought others might find it interesting, at least worth their time.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

This video is PROOF we need the mexican labor armies in America to be able to float in the next millenium!! Open the doors wide, and man every zig Home Depot! We will train armies of minority engineers to compete with Chinese and Indian ones!!