User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Limitless Presidency?

Proposal to repeal the 22nd article

I pulled this from Meta's blog, but I thought it was interesting to see. Wasn't the reason that was in place was to avoid the very situation it's trying to repeal for? A limitless amount of elections for a President.

So what say you? The good people that do well in office are limited by the number of years they can serve their country? Or rich big-time sleezeballs will have a kingly reign on the US?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ISTJ

With all the corruption these days, it seems like a limitless term would be a bad thing in my opinion.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I was thinking about posting it as a topic, but I never would have thought of it being seriously discussed in current events.

Originally, by our Constitution, there was no limit to the amount of terms. And if the president does well, why not? The arguments for this (with rebuttals of arguments against) sit in The Federalist papers. But then, as we know, even the first president in our history decided 2 terms was what a decent president would do.

So would it be theoretically reasonable? Would it be practically reasonable? How would American society react to it, and be affected by such a change?

As for the actual bill Kyuuei is talking about:
    H.J.RES.5
    Title: Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the twenty-second article of amendment, thereby removing the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President.
    Sponsor: Rep Serrano, Jose E. [NY-16] (introduced 1/6/2009) Cosponsors (None)
    Latest Major Action: 2/9/2009 Referred to House subcommittee. Status: Referred to the Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 02-23-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: article
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

FDR all over again...

If you think abolishing term limits is a good idea, then God help you.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    FDR all over again...
    The question of course, is whether you think that would be a good or bad thing...
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INFP

I'm thinking that when our first Presidency began a man's word was part of his honor. Even the founders who were not religious had concern for morality in their dealings with others.

In present society I don't see as much weight put on morality. We are much more a society of "What's in it for me" than in the past.

I'm not sure if limiting terms with an exception for overwheming popular vote would work as those most benefiting from a Presiden't policy would certainly continue to vote for him. And perhaps there could be corruption of the elective process by those with power/money.

Did that happen already?

I don't have a clue what would work better.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Tell me if this sounds like a good idea-

"Hey guysss! I have a great idea! Since we have Jesus in office now, we should remove term limits! I just love what hes done in the entire MONTH hes been in office so much, that I want to keep him in office FOREVER until he dies, and hope we don't have a tyrant rise to office after Obama Christ is gone! Oh goody gum drops, I think I just jizzed my pants! Save me Obama!" *faints*

Republicans and democrats alike came together and instituted term limits RIGHT AFTER FDR LEFT OFFICE for a good freaking reason. They obviously didn't love him so much that they wanted a repeat in the future. I swear some people make my god damn head explode. I need duct tape and gorilla glue to keep my skull from shattering into a million pieces.

MBTI
    INFP

Yeah, Jesus! That could work. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Well I am not American obviously, but from what I understand the whole reason for the limit is to stop the president becoming a monarch, which I must say I find rather ironical. This is rather misguided considering when one looks at say British politics, one will quickly realise there is only so long one can blame the countries problems on the previous political party in power before it starts to get unpopular.

Hence, the reason since universal suffrage both Blair and Thatcher were both forced from power by their own parties as they had become so unpopular.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post

So would it be theoretically reasonable? Would it be practically reasonable? How would American society react to it, and be affected by such a change?
    Stop being such a SJ for once in your life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I am thinking that it is no coincidence that this was proposed while Obama is in office.

Taking it a step further, Anja, I think that America's very "Here and now what do I get?!" attitude could be easily seen as "I want Obama to serve more than 8 years as president!" without ever thinking how outrageous this would sound to them if the same thing were proposed at Bush's election. The amount of support currently being generated, if I wanted a sort of thing like this to pass, I would have no better opportunity than now.

I'm under the impression that most great leaders of our country fully agree and support the term limitations. It seems happy and hunky now, but when you're on the minority support end, you won't feel that way anymore. The majority will just continue to dominate.

An overwhelming vote would say that both minority and majority believe that breaking this usual trend is better than what's been proposed as president. That's a big statement to me.

To edit: Falcarius, I definitely agree with what you're saying, but I would like things to be fixed before they become so unpopular they basically have to be shoveled out of office.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge