User Tag List

First 1234 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Grover Cleveland; only president to have two non-consecutive terms.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Grover Cleveland; only president to have two non-consecutive terms.
    Ok, I thought so.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post

From what I recall, that rarely ever happened when we didn't have term limits (if at all).
    Cleveland served two non-consecutive terms, but the only person who served more than two terms was FDR - my guess is because he was a self serving asshole. There was an unwritten rule to follow Washington's tradition of retiring after two terms, but after FDR it had to be written down.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    There was one president who served two non-consecutive terms (Grover Cleveland), but the only person who served more than two terms was FDR - my guess is because he was a self serving asshole. There was an unwritten rule to follow Washington's tradition of retiring after two terms, but after FDR it had to be written down.
    Eventually it would have needed to be. To me, it marks the degradation of moral and tradition in politics. the "This is the now and new, screw the way things 'ought to be done' " attitude manifested in action.

Cimmy: While I agree maybe there were some presidents that may have helped the country further with more than two non-consecutive terms... I'm willing to sacrifice the rare times this will happen to prevent any lousy president from staying in the office for two years.

Not to mention there are SO many positions in the government that can be taken to serve your country after that, it's not like their careers and lives end after President. Not to mention, the president is an insane job, and people who work from home make more than he does. 8 years of being in such a stressful position... I don't know if I'd be able to take much more.

Make hard decisions for the American people, and then walk down the street and get all sorts of terrible names and bullcaca thrown. :\
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I love the idea of a limitless presidency based on the following:

1. I'm the president.
    2. No other person could be elected. So eventually our president will be a dead corpse and what country will screw around with us then? Hmmn!
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

If we have a great politician that's extremely popular, people are free to elect another person from his/her political party in the next term.

This is a good quote on politicians and term limits, I'm not sure who said it:

Politicians are like dirty diapers. They should be changed frequently and for the same reason.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I was thinking about posting it as a topic, but I never would have thought of it being seriously discussed in current events.

Originally, by our Constitution, there was no limit to the amount of terms. And if the president does well, why not? The arguments for this (with rebuttals of arguments against) sit in The Federalist papers. But then, as we know, even the first president in our history decided 2 terms was what a decent president would do.

So would it be theoretically reasonable? Would it be practically reasonable? How would American society react to it, and be affected by such a change?

As for the actual bill Kyuuei is talking about:
    Washington's age was catching up with him as he neared the end of his second term. Average lifespans are much longer now. Obama could live another 50+ years...

I have a similar opinion regarding the Supreme Court. When justices were originally given life terms, they could only expect to serve on the order of 20-30 years. Now a justice can expect to be healthy enough to serve for 40-50 years, and that's going to continue to grow.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Not American, but I reckon go for it, should be the best man for the job, if that means another term then why not? If you don't like them after two terms, vote them out.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Not American, but I reckon go for it, should be the best man for the job, if that means another term then why not? If you don't like them after two terms, vote them out.
    The problem is, people in power tend to consolidates their power even further - so they longer they stay in power, the harder it is for their rivals to uproot them.

The Bill of Rights was designed with a corrupt leader in mind. That's the reason why US Constitution is the longest functioning constitution in the world.

MBTI
    epic

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    the best man for the job? based on whose appraisal - the oligarchic demopublican republicrats in office? we don't choose our candidates, they're two mediocrities handed down to us from the state. it's an illusion of democracy, just like voting - a "bourgeoisie right" in itself.