User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default USA needs another 9/11?

Stu Bykofsky | To save America, we need another 9/11

He merely echoes previous statements:

"Further, the process of transformation, even if it brings revolutionary change, is likely to be a long one, absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event––like a new Pearl Harbor"

Project for a New America (PNAC), Section V of Rebuilding America's Defenses, entitled "Creating Tomorrow's Dominant Force", (2000)

I don't think another 9/11-scale terrorist attack would fix anything that's broken in America. We'd see the same thing all over again:

1. Temporary unity caused by grief and initial anger that assures smooth sailing for a retaliatory military response.

2. Criticism of the party in power at the time due to the fact that victory isn't swift and the enemy does not give up simply because we fight back.

3. Exploitation of the situation for political gain by the party not in power.

4. Just add water, and...instant discord and much more effective fighting among us than against the enemy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I really don't agree that such a situation recurring would have any positive impact. It just turned us all into paranoid security seekers willing to sacrifice our freedom. It was a horrible state of affairs that will have terrible repercussions for many years to come. I really hope you don't sympathize with this person, heart. It's so cold and tactical to wish for another such event for the sole sake of potentially galvanizing the public to unity.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    I really hope you don't sympathize with this person, heart. It's so cold and tactical to wish for another such event for the sole sake of potentially galvanizing the public to unity.
    Oh good grief no! I was just wondering what other folks thought about the article and also wondering how many people are aware of the PNAC document published in the year 2000 where they said the USA would need a "New Pearl Harbour" event to get them accept war in Iraq and other places the PNAC wanted regime change.

MBTI
    ISTP

I really don't agree that such a situation recurring would have any positive impact. It just turned us all into paranoid security seekers willing to sacrifice our freedom. It was a horrible state of affairs that will have terrible repercussions for many years to come. I really hope you don't sympathize with this person, heart. It's so cold and tactical to wish for another such event for the sole sake of potentially galvanizing the public to unity.
    The PNAC believes, at it's core, that America is righteous and should be allowed to spread it's "faith" across the globe (faith being either Xian or Democracy - truth be told, I don't think they care what they are spreading). The major limiting factor is that the people of the country are strangely against a world wide escalation of war. And even stranger, the people don't seem willing to die for the manifesto!

What these comments from the PNAC are saying is that they need events to make people either malleable to their doctrine/leadership, or to reduce the "lazy" attitude and get up and die for the cause.

I wish I could say that I'm being dramatic, but I'm actually under-dramatising exactly what is being said... a lot.

To them, the positive impact would be a carte blanche, which they would use, to invade countries and occupy them. True unrestricted imperialism of old. Power by force, nothing else. Unity isn't the goal, it's the means.

heart on fire

Most people in the USA do not know what the PNAC was or why it matters to the USA even now. They won't read about it and they don't care.

We were told flat out in their documents, especially in the one from the year 2000 about rebuilding America's Defenses, what was to come and probably what is yet to come. Nothing was hidden from people and yet no one cares either.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Oh good grief no! I was just wondering what other folks thought about the article and also wondering how many people are aware of the PNAC document published in the year 2000 where they said the USA would need a "New Pearl Harbour" event to get them accept war in Iraq and other places the PNAC wanted regime change.
    I really hope that the implication here isn't what I think it is.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I really hope that the implication here isn't what I think it is.
    http://www.newamericancentury.org/Re...asDefenses.pdf
    Here is the document from the horse's mouth, it is in Section V.

As to what it implies, that is really up to the individual reader to decide.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    http://www.newamericancentury.org/Re...asDefenses.pdf
    Here is the document from the horse's mouth, it is in Section V.

As to what it implies, that is really up to the individual reader to decide.
    I don't really understand what the negative implications of this document are. It seems as though they simply want to shore up weak defenses, and preserve American international power. What's the bad part? I didn't see anything hinting at oppression or cruelty. Did I miss something?

heart on fire

I don't really understand what the negative implications of this document are. It seems as though they simply want to shore up weak defenses, and preserve American international power. What's the bad part? I didn't see anything hinting at oppression or cruelty. Did I miss something?
    "Further, the process of transformation, even if it brings revolutionary change, is likely to be a long one, absent some catastrophic and catalyzing event––like a new Pearl Harbor"

Project for a New America (PNAC), Section V of Rebuilding America's Defenses, entitled "Creating Tomorrow's Dominant Force", (2000)