User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Pure_merc, what's your top 5?
    The problem with Great Presidents lists by historians is that they favor POTUS's who had to "do something." If it were my top 5 most freedom-oriented, I think it would go something like this:

Thomas Jefferson
    James Madison
    George Washington
    Grover Cleveland
    Martin Van Buren
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The problem with Great Presidents lists by historians is that they favor POTUS's who had to "do something." If it were my top 5 most freedom-oriented, I think it would go something like this:

Thomas Jefferson
    James Madison
    George Washington
    Grover Cleveland
    Martin Van Buren
    My "freedom-oriented" list would be different than my "success" list as well.

So, what is your top 5 for that?

MBTI
    ESFJ

My "freedom-oriented" list would be different than my "success" list as well.

So, what is your top 5 for that?
    Define "success."

MBTI
    INTP

Define "success."
    Interprete what defines "success" in the best way you can, just like any political scientist and historian does when answering the question.

Some examples of certain kinds of success associated with Presidents is economic, civil rights, militarily, domestic issues etc.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Interprete what defines "success" in the best way you can, just like any political scientist and historian does when answering the question.

Some examples of certain kinds of success associated with Presidents is economic, civil rights, militarily, domestic issues etc.
    For me, freedom-oriented would pretty much be equivalent with successful. I don't want my leaders doing very much, because it's usually something bad.

MBTI
    INTP

For me, freedom-oriented would pretty much be equivalent with successful. I don't want my leaders doing very much, because it's usually something bad.
    That's the only good measure of a President? You could have a President totally oriented towards progressing freedom, but it doesn't mean he accomplished anything (The ones who did, would probably be the Presidents with the strongest record on civil rights) but the President could be terrible in every other way.

I think you don't want to make that list, just because there would be liberals on it.

MBTI
    ESFJ

That's the only good measure of a President? You could have a President totally oriented towards progressing freedom, but it doesn't mean he accomplished anything (The ones who did, would probably be the Presidents with the strongest record on civil rights) but the President could be terrible in every other way.

I think you don't want to make that list, just because there would be liberals on it.

A POTUS who is totally oriented toward progressing freedom would be a successful POTUS, even if he couldn't make it all happen. You want me to make a list that I would never make, because I simply do not support the vast majority of what the government does.

MBTI
    INTP

A POTUS who is totally oriented toward progressing freedom would be a successful POTUS, even if he couldn't make it all happen. You want me to make a list that I would never make, because I simply do not support the vast majority of what the government does.
    No one is asking you to support and condone liberal policy. It's just a list. What are conservative political scientists suppose to do when they are asked the question? Try to give an accurate and objective opinion, not refuse to answer.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

*We are deep in thread derailment*

Anyway, the president isn't in office to "DO" anything except preserve our rights and keep the country safe so it can prosper. He is also in charge with any international issues that arise. The president doesn't exist to revolutionize a country; that's what private citizens and the public do. Government doesn't move the country forward, nor is that its purpose. Thus, a good president is one who keeps the country safe, effectively deals with problems that arise, and allows the country to move in its desired direction.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    *We are deep in thread derailment*

Anyway, the president isn't in office to "DO" anything except preserve our rights and keep the country safe so it can prosper. He is also in charge with any international issues that arise. The president doesn't exist to revolutionize a country; that's what private citizens and the public do. Government doesn't move the country forward, nor is that its purpose. Thus, a good president is one who keeps the country safe, effectively deals with problems that arise, and allows the country to move in its desired direction.
    There's a tad more to the job description than that.