User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Wow, that was pretty brutal. The fact that he spends more time flinging personal insults at the reporter than actually explaining what tenants of Obama's plan would prove the reporter wrong is telling.
    The story of those who don't have an answer or a real argument. Sad, isn't it?

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post

4. The government's actions are going to disenfranchise people if it continues like this. What you saw in the OP. You guys have to realize not everyone is liberal like yourselves, and there is a great portion of the population that is going to be pushed into the wall until they lash back.
    Liberal? HA!!! Realistic. Madoff and friends had nothing to do with government involvement, just the opposite in fact. Faking loan documentation too.

Most of the people who are so-called experts in the matter claim there is no quick fix for this and say they aren't sure what would turn this around so excuse me if I'm skeptical of your claims otherwise.

As for the rest of your claim of "great portion of the population..." I'd be interested to hear more of this, sounds interesting.
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    UPDATE:

This guy has rattled the Obama Administration, and got them to use some very specious rhetoric. I love it.

WH lashes out at CNBC's Santelli
    I like santelli

but lets face it. if santelli spoke up against the bush administration (during 2001-2005) there would be CIA knocking on his door ready to make him mysteriously disappear from cnbc

i think its good there is debate on this in an open manner, something that americans have not been used to for the past 8 years. but people who think that santelli is against regulation of the financial markets to avoid another mortgage crisis is sadly mistaken.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Let me share something with all of you, including those who do not seem to understand a few things about history... or common sense.

This was written in May of 1939 by FDR's own treasury secretary, Henry Morgenthau Jr. His TREASURY SECRETARY testified before the House Ways and Means Committee in May of 1939. Listen to what he had to say.

We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work. And I have just one interest, and now if I am wrong somebody else can have my job. I want to see this country prosper. I want to see people get a job. I want to see people get enough to eat. We have never made good on our promises. I say after eight years of this administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started. And enormous debt to boot.

MBTI
    IsTP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Let me share something with all of you, including those who do not seem to understand a few things about history... or common sense.

This was written in May of 1939 by FDR's own treasury secretary, Henry Morgenthau Jr. His TREASURY SECRETARY testified before the House Ways and Means Committee in May of 1939. Listen to what he had to say.
    Which does nothing to answer the question I asked of you directly or to address the issues I raised to you, directly. I'm not debating the merits of the stimulus bill or whatever you wish to call it...
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ml#post1161526

"They the type of cats who pollute the whole shoreline. Have it purified. Sell it for a $1.25"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by kendoiwan View Post
    Which does nothing to answer the question I asked of you directly or to address the issues I raised to you, directly. I'm not debating the merits of the stimulus bill or whatever you wish to call it...
    Because it wasn't addressed to YOU, it was for the whole thread.

I don't feel like going into it right now (civil unrest issue), but I'll likely be making a thread about it later. Basically, I just meant there are people who believe in the constitution and capitalism, and are getting more and more fed up with the government along with a myriad of other issues coming to a head during this economic crisis.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The reason it wouldn't reach market value is because securities are very risky and hard for prospects to evaluate, so in an auction, they would be undervalued.

I think there are really few people taking that novel idea seriously.
    Risk must be considered when valuing a security. Why do you think government bonds have a lower return than corporate bonds? Because they're considered to be less risky. Gah! /facepalm
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Even most on the Right will admit that government spending got us out of the Great Depression. Whether it was WWII spending or New Deal spending.
    I think you're off-base here. Most economists argue that New Deal spending at best helped to lessen the worst byproducts of the Great Depression (people on the streets and not being able to eat), but that it also lengthened the duration of the Depression. Even WWII government spending didn't get us out of the Great Depression (and much of that spending was private sector, not public). The country did not fully recover from the Depression until the 1950s.

Keynesian economics got its start during the Great Depression and saw us through much economic success. In fact, almost every successful industrial economy is a mixed market to some degree, with most leaning closer to the Left.
    A) We are no longer an industrial economy;

B) Our economic "success" in this nation was not at the same level as it was between the Civil War and the 1920s;

and C) economic freedom is tied directly to the economic health and dynamism of nations in the world. This is easy to see. Look at the mostly free economies worldwide vs. the most unfree ones. It's as clear as day that freer economies are wealthier. There is absolutely no debate about that.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Of course you would find it compelling. I'm talking about public opinion at large. I can't see this sort of thing having much effect at all.
    I care little about what public opinion at large is. It would be great if most Americans cared more about the free market system, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Most Americans couldn't tell you what comparative advantage is, and they probably wouldn't believe that it's true even if they did understand it.

More and more prominent free-marketers are starting to change their positions and acknowledge the problems with the market that require government intervention. Keynesian economics is on a resurgence, and for good reason.
    Cite examples. I cannot name one prominent free-market economist who has become a Keynesian recently. And I don't mean people who normally are pro-free market but are for the stimulus package or the bailouts. I want names of free-market economists who are now Keynesian.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

More and more prominent free-marketers are starting to change their positions and acknowledge the problems with the market that require government intervention. Keynesian economics is on a resurgence, and for good reason.
    anyone who has taken the time to look through the history books for the past 100 years can come to these basic facts:

"redistributive economies give up long term growth for short term gain". They temporarily raise employment, but at the expense of growing the economy at large.

And just to show that im not talking out of my ass:

Germany surpassed Great Britain in SHORT time after WWII and then continued to grow at a much faster pace even after they reached their WWII level, mainly due to the fact that Germany had been set up without as many redistributive institutions. Britian would remain bogged down until Thatcher came along.

The problem with Keynesian economics is that it treats pumping money into the economy like antibiotics, eventually the problem grows resistance and you're fucked because you never addressed the basic problems to begin with.

We are partly in this mess due to keynesian economics being practiced for the past 10 years. Normally we would just lower the interest rates when shit got bad. We over used that method, and now we have no more antibiotics!