User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think of exercising 'eye for an eye' retribution?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • 'Eye for an eye' is as ancient as it is just.

19 42.22%
  • I'm with Gandhi on this; 'an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind!"

20 44.44%
  • Well... <insert commentary via post>

6 13.33%
12311 Last

Default Woman blinded by acid wants "eye for an eye"

I don't know who among you has already seen this, but I was pretty stunned when I read this article about an Iranian woman named Ameneh Bahrami.

Bahrami is blind, the victim of an acid attack by a spurned suitor.

If she gets her way, her attacker will suffer the same fate. The 31-year-old Iranian is demanding the ancient punishment of "an eye for an eye," and, in accordance with Islamic law, she wants to blind Majid Movahedi, the man who blinded her.

"I don't want to blind him for revenge," Bahrami said in her parents' Tehran apartment. "I'm doing this to prevent it from happening to someone else."

Two weeks after the attack, Movahedi turned himself in to police and confessed in court. He was convicted in 2005 and has been behind bars all along.

Attack victims in Iran usually accept "blood money": a fine in lieu of harsh punishment. With no insurance and mounting medical bills, Bahrami could've used the cash, but she said no.

"I told the judge I want an eye for an eye," Bahrami said. "People like him should be made to feel my suffering."

Bahrami's demand has outraged some human rights activists. Criticizing acid-attack victims is almost unheard of, but some Internet bloggers have condemned Bahrami's decision.

"We cannot condone such cruel punishment," wrote one blogger. "To willingly inflict the same treatment on a person under court order is a violation of human rights."

Late last year, an Iranian court gave Bahrami what she asked for. It sentenced Movahedi to be blinded with drops of acid in each eye. This month, the courts rejected Movahedi's appeal.

Bahrami's lawyer, Sarrafi, said the sentencing might be carried out in a matter of weeks. He said he doesn't think Bahrami will change her mind. Neither does Bahrami.

"If I don't do this and there is another acid attack, I will never forgive myself for as long as I live," she said.
    This is the second article I've read in a week about extreme punishment/discouragement "methods" in other countries and I'd like to know how other TypCers view this.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INxJ

That actually happens quite often in India and the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    That actually happens quite often in India and the Middle East.
    Probably so. Old law: old cultures. I recall learning about the Code of Hammurabi in middle school, which I believe is the Babylonian law that started it all.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ISTx

"I don't want to blind him for revenge," Bahrami said in her parents' Tehran apartment. "I'm doing this to prevent it from happening to someone else."
    Bullshit.

MBTI
    INTJ

"People like him should be made to feel my suffering."
    lol.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Perhaps not as bad as getting your "clean" hand cut off for stealing, leaving you with only your "shit" hand (the hand that you wipe your ass with, without toilet paper). I can't remember which Arab country that is... In any case, I really don't give a shit (pun intended) about a couple of idiots in Iran when there are much more important stories within your own country.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Wait, according to this law if someone kills my brother, do I get to kill theirs?

What if the man who blinded her had no eyes?

What if the guy's a masochist?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

He was convicted in 2005 and has been behind bars all along.

"I told the judge I want an eye for an eye," Bahrami said. "People like him should be made to feel my suffering."

"If I don't do this and there is another acid attack, I will never forgive myself for as long as I live," she said.
    I think she's full of shit. If retribution is what you want don't hide behind the facade of doing it for the benefit of others, she said it herself, she wants him to suffer, if he's behind bars then he's not in a position to do it again. I have no sympathy for the guy but this is just wrong.

Ghandi is right.

MBTI
    INFP

What Meta and Beat said.

It will bring her very little satisfaction in the long run, I think. Living with hate in your heart seldom feels good.

This puts me in mind of a documentary I watched a couple of weeks ago called, "Crazy Love." It's the true story of a woman who was blinded with acid by a man who loved her and married him after he got out of prision.

She's going for the long term revenge I think. Hee.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Other thought I had was the story of Vlad Tepes, the prototype for Dracula, who ruled Transylvania with an iron hand. There is a story of him leaving a bag of gold on the street to prove to visitors that there was no crime in his country. His methods of punishment were extreme.

I think that brutal punishment does lessen crime. Yes, it can work.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer