User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think of exercising 'eye for an eye' retribution?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • 'Eye for an eye' is as ancient as it is just.

19 42.22%
  • I'm with Gandhi on this; 'an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind!"

20 44.44%
  • Well... <insert commentary via post>

6 13.33%
First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
    That sentence is only half the concept IMO as it offers no reason for to behave that way. I think the only logical conclusion is to infer a incentive/disincentive based system.
    By standard definition that half is the whole.

Ethic of reciprocity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Versions of the Golden Rule in 21 world religions

These lists show that few mention consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Hexis View Post
    The reward is the equal treatment you give out, and the motivation to follow said rule is the "reward" of your treatment...what else would the point be in it if not?
    The point of it is, if everyone were to follow such a rule the world would be blissful (apparently). Though there are many different reasons given.

Same as "be the change you want to see in the world" or being 'green'. If everyone did it, it would work.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w8

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    By standard definition that half is the whole.
    IMHO that saying is a summary of larger concept. The bible also says you reap what you sow. Which means actions have consequences. The bible consistently talks of the consequences associated with behaviors. (ie sin + unrepentance = eternity in hell) It would be irrational to assume this advice on behavior, the one rule you should follow above all else, is unique.

Just a note to those reading: I'm not Christian, but I did grow up in a Christian home.
    R[a]ngl[e]r

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Honestly, I got no problem with the guy being blinded. He gets to blind her and go on his merry way? Uh, no.
    That's what I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I support her claim, however I'm not sure the government should...They should however make it very clear that throwing acid is something that you will pay dearly for (whatever that punishment may be), coz it is a big problem there. Rejection is something that apparently those guys over there don't do very well, and it's often followed by an attitude of: If I can't have her, then I'll make sure no one wants her.
    Man, that's scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    blinded and castrated. anything else?
    tee-hee

Jen, thanks for linking the article.

I find it very interesting that their own government has ruled in her favor, and a subsequent appeal made by him was denied. They are a sovereign nation and have to the right to their own laws. I'm glad I don't live there though. Did you see how pretty she was? She wasn't just blinded by the acid... it burned her face, mouth, hands and arms... all this by a boy 5 years YOUNGER than her... who stalked her for TWO YEARS.
    "Late last year, an Iranian court gave Bahrami what she asked for. It sentenced Movahedi to be blinded with drops of acid in each eye. This month, the courts rejected Movahedi's appeal."
    Woman blinded by acid wants same fate for attacker - CNN.com

acid-burned woman
    http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/WO...ahrami.cnn.jpg

MBTI
    INTP

The Golden Rule applies before something has been done to you. You treat people well, and in kind, you hope they treat you well.

The Eye for an Eye rule applies afterward. If someone does something terrible, he pays with similar punishment.

If we're talking forgiveness and letting God take care of the punishment, then the phrase we're looking for is, "Turn the other cheek." When the incident is a crime, however, and something that affects society and might happen to other people if the perpetrator is allowed to get off with little to no punishment, people naturally desire a harsher penalty. Slap me or cut me off in traffic, I'll probably turn the other cheek, depending on the situation. Blind me, rape me, kill one of my family members, and I'm going to want you to feel the same loss that you've caused. I'm not going to go all vigilante and do it myself--but I would like the government to step in and administer a punishment that fits the crime and makes other people realize that there are serious consequences.

In this case, there are a lot of cultural aspects involved that complicate matters. Splashing acid in the eyes of a woman that you feel has shamed you or rejected you or had the audacity to get an education or had sex when you didn't think she should have had sex, or some other like situation, sets a nasty precedent for others to do the same. The government has to have some sort of harsh punishment in place so that someone else doesn't think it's a fantastic idea.

From a pure standpoint of how this makes me feel, subjectively, I say the guy deserves it. From a larger societal standpoint, one would obviously have to think long and hard about the longterm effects of such punishments on the legal system and what it sets a precedent for. I do think the guy should get a harsher punishment than a few years in prison.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

To those who believe reciprocal physical punishment is warranted (versus/alongside imprisonment), do you think you would still retain your position if gender was reversed in this particular case?

That is to say, if a spurned woman disfigured a man by throwing acid into his eyes, do you believe it remains appropriate to enact a similar judgment on her?

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    LOL!
    Why's she wearing glasses?
    we fukin won boys

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    To those who believe reciprocal physical punishment is warranted (versus/alongside imprisonment), do you think you would still retain your position if gender was reversed in this particular case?

That is to say, if a spurned woman disfigured a man by throwing acid into his eyes, do you believe it remains appropriate to enact a similar judgment on her?
    Why would this change anything?

It's just as horrendous if done to a man...
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP

No, I wouldn't say a woman should get a lesser punishment for the same crime. Psychotic is psychotic.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Psychotic is psychotic.
    Just to Devil's Advocate you here, wouldn't enforcement of a "psychotic" act (even as punishment) be "psychotic" unto itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah
    It was okay for him to take her vision--but people like this count on the fact that nothing of the sort will happen to them in return.
    That's probably true. Maybe it will deter more people. But as someone else mentioned, maybe a lot of people do horrible crimes in spite of the stiff punishments because they count on not being caught.

For me, what makes harsher penalties valid is the fact that the victim never had the choice to be blinded or raped or murdered. I've never understood why the perpetrator often gets better than the victim. Most victims probably would have chosen jail time over being violated. But they don't get that choice.
    I want to understand this perspective a little better. You're saying that when a perpetrator violates someone, they're making the choice to possibly receive the same punishment?

Frankly, I don't care much about rehabilitating a complete psycho. He had his shot.
    I think that's one thing we were disagreeing on up until now. I wasn't so sure he was a psycho. (Though, I admit I didn't read the article in its entirety, just what Iwakar quoted). If he were, sure, there'd probably be no point. But I was thinking about how a trend set in a society contributes to other people thinking it's more okay, and I was wondering if he meant to blind her or just disfigure her face.

But writing it out like that, he probably didn't much care whether he blinded her or not. There's no way he could have. We all know acid has the potential to do that, and throwing it into someone's face makes it a good possibility.

So I see what you mean. He probably is a psycho to some degree. I don't know about a complete psycho impervious to redemption, but definitely significantly sociopathic.
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love