User Tag List

View Poll Results: What do you think of exercising 'eye for an eye' retribution?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • 'Eye for an eye' is as ancient as it is just.

19 42.22%
  • I'm with Gandhi on this; 'an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind!"

20 44.44%
  • Well... <insert commentary via post>

6 13.33%
First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Blindness. He gets out of prison eventually. You never get out of being blind. You only adjust and manage as necessary, not to mention the life-long things you miss out on in the process.
    Yes, but specifically 3 years of blindness versus three years of prison life in Iran.

They'll both be blind soon, so it's permanency doesn't matter in the comparison.

They would need to burn the man's face as well, for it to be an "eye for an eye".

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    She wasn't dating him.
    upon further invesitgation, you are correct. here is a more detailed account. i was going on the spurned suitor thing assuming they were possibly dating and she dumped him. after reading the detailed story and seeing the after pics i am speechless.

cnn video
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Yes, but specifically 3 years of blindness versus three years of prison life in Iran.

They'll both be blind soon so it's permanency doesn't matter.
    I've been to Iraq, which isn't far off. Being blind there period is going to cause strife for the rest of your life. People barely make it healthy. They don't have safe villages to resort to, there's no handicap accomodations. There are hardly jobs for people whom are blind. Not to mention the crazy drivers that have no problem speeding down sidewalks and alleyways.. there is no end to the amount of adjusting she'll have to do with blindness.

In comparison, the three years in prison would be a curteosy.. here's three years more of vision before you're struck with the same fate. Prison life sucks.. but it's temporary. (well, in his situation anyways.)
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

Quote Originally Posted by erm
    So the man gets three years in jail (presumably more to come) and blindness.

The woman gets blindness at least three years prior to the man.

Which one is worse, blindness or prison?

Certainly any years spent in prison while blinded by the man would have to be equalled by the woman in order for it to be an "eye for an eye".
    This argument may be valid to some but from my standpoint it isn't. Blindness was a lifelong sentence that this man imposed upon her. He had a choice. She wasn't given a choice...instead she was given a face full of acid. I imagine if most people had a choice they would take prison time over blindness. Can you put a price tag on your eyesight? I can't.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    This argument may be valid to some but from my standpoint it isn't. Blindness was a lifelong sentence that this man imposed upon her. He had a choice. She wasn't given a choice...instead she was given a face full of acid. I imagine if most people had a choice they would take prison time over blindness. Can you put a price tag on your eyesight? I can't.
    Not to mention with Jen's handy investigating.. he could have easily sentenced another woman that scorned him with the same fate. I know, she probably is doing it for revenge.. but it can't be denied the probability of him being a suitor of any sort went down considerably with this decision, and were I in his shoes .. I'd think twice before letting my rage damage those around me.

Hate breeding more hate is the argument.. Isn't it true that a hefty fine and a slap on the ass will send an angry person out into an unsafe world where the police aren't nearly as trained and equipped to deal with things like personal vendettas, revenge, stalking, etc? Who knows where the line would be drawn? The important fact is that she drew her line before he ever put his foot on the sand. It's harsh, and it seems it. and I don't think I could do the same in her shoes. but the speculations as to what if's are endless. In the end, the law allows her to do this, and she thinks it's the right thing to do. She's a law abiding citizen, and she has the rights to use her laws to protect her and bring justice to those around as seen fit.

It's another world over there.. I think everyone crying about it has yet to really see the world she lives in on a daily basis.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    So the man gets three years in jail (presumably more to come) and blindness.

The woman gets blindness at least three years prior to the man.

Which one is worse, blindness or prison?

Certainly any years spent in prison while blinded by the man would have to be equalled by the woman in order for it to be an "eye for an eye".
    The eye-for-an-eye principle is that there are consequences for choosing to violate someone. His being in prison is not a personal violation.

This principle is a kind of forced empathy for the violator. Cruelty requires dehumanizing the other person, so having the same harm experienced by self could end the dehumanizing assumptions in a quick and shocking way. For the person who cannot connect enough to another human being to realize that hurting them is equivalent to hurting self, then this kind of retribution makes that known in an unmistakable way. When a person has empathy, they understand this relationship in a real way and it prevents the person from violating the other. Violating another person does violate self even though the cruel mind cannot comprehend that this is what they have done. The perpetrator is already blinded by his willingness to harm another. This is not to conclude he should or should not be punished by being blinded.

Edit: I think at this point the primary issue is the well being of the woman and what decisions will make her stronger. If having him blinded heals her, that is a reason to do it, if the retribution hurts her that is a reason not to. It is a good thing for her to have the personal power to make a choice about it.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP

erm made a few good points from my perspective.

And while I usually am in agreement with statements by Iwakar, mempy, Risen and kyuuei, it occurs to me that given our increasing global perspective and the rising number of Middle Eastern immigrants coming to our country it would be a good idea to be attentive to what kinds of cultural inclinations they are bringing with them. It isn't just happening "over there" anymore.

I've heard of honor killings in Texas. Last week our local police confiscated thirty pounds of khat and our immigrant community is up in arms about it being taken away from them.

I'm in mind of that WWII statement paraphrased, "They came for everybody and I looked away. Finally they came for me and there was no one left to defend me."

And when you've got folks committing atrocities in the name of their god you know we've got a problem.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    The eye-for-an-eye principle is that there are consequences for choosing to violate someone. His being in prison is not a personal violation.

This principle is a kind of forced empathy for the violator. Cruelty requires dehumanizing the other person, so having the same harm experienced by self could end the dehumanizing assumptions in a quick and shocking way. For the person who cannot connect enough to another human being to realize that hurting them is equivalent to hurting self, then this kind of retribution makes that known in an unmistakable way. When a person has empathy, they understand this relationship in a real way and it prevents the person from violating the other. Violating another person does violate self even though the cruel mind cannot comprehend that this is what they have done. The perpetrator is already blinded by his willingness to harm another. This is not to conclude he should or should not be punished by being blinded.

Edit: I think at this point the primary issue is the well being of the woman and what decisions will make her stronger. If having him blinded heals her, that is a reason to do it, if the retribution hurts her that is a reason not to. It is a good thing for her to have the personal power to make a choice about it.
    I agree entirely. I think people are jumping too quickly to the assumption that losing his eyes will only hurt her further. I think this is not the case.

This man blinded her when little to nothing was done to him. Imagine three years of prison and a hefty amount of his money taken? I would be more concerned that myself, a blind person, cannot even see a threat coming ahead of time to react. Even if he didn't take it personal with her and moved on, who's to say he won't be just as cruel later on, knowing he'll get away with more than the other? No lesson will be learned from someone so off-center in the first place.

This goes back to people who say spanking your kids is wrong with no exceptions. I was a kid who didn't mind getting myself into potentially extremely hazardous situations.. I didn't much listen until I was spanked. Pain hit home with me, and I was selfish enough to at least know that if I didn't want to hurt, I wouldn't go playing near that deadly sinkhole anymore.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    erm made a few good points from my perspective.

And while I usually am in agreement with statements by Iwakar, mempy, Risen and kyuuei, it occurs to me that given our increasing global perspective and the rising number of Middle Eastern immigrants coming to our country it would be a good idea to be attentive to what kinds of cultural inclinations they are bringing with them. It isn't just happening "over there" anymore.

I've heard of honor killings in Texas. Last week our local police confiscated thirty pounds of khat and our immigrant community is up in arms about it being taken away from them.

I'm in mind of that WWII statement paraphrased, "They came for everybody and I looked away. Finally they came for me and there was no one left to defend me."

And when you've got folks committing atrocities in the name of their god you know we've got a problem.
    See, I'm not arguing based on what I believe and what I would do. Merely if this is a right decision for her. She's not in America, and she's not me. She's a blind Iranian woman in Iran.

In the United States it's all or nothing. We don't take parts. Slap on the ass or all your life, there seems to be little compromise. If it's not a fine, it's lots of jail... and if it's not both of those, it's death.

A harsh punishment is a harsh punishment.. Some people think that the death penalty is harsh and unjust. But the fact remains that is within the law, and it is our right to call for it as a means of justice. I think taking the eyes, with the point's I've made, is a fit decision.. not one made by a deranged angry woman.

MBTI
    INFP

I see what you're saying, kyuuei. Your first person reflections certainly bear weight.

It's interesting how intense this conversation is. It strikes a chord for people.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer